corridor connections

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hi,

I?m building a gauge 3 coach and need some corridor connections. GRS do some ( at a price) but am wondering if anyone has ever built some, and if so have any tips, or does anyone else sell them?

treetop

Model boats, trains and gliders.
1 Sep 2010
Christchurch New Zealand
Best answers
If by 'corridor connections' you are meaning the 'bellows' type, then I have made one as follows for my Fiat, twin set, rail car.
First draw onto plain white paper the required shapes and layout. The photo shows a typical corner detail. Then fold/crease the paper along every line. Do this in both directions (down and up) for the parallel lines. Carefully refold along the lines working from one end, alternately up and down to form the final shape. The bellows can then be mounted onto appropriate end shaped pieces of card and all be painted.
On my model there are slotted recesses formed on the ends of the cars into which to slide the finished corridor.

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Don't know if these'll be big enough for Gauge 3, but USA Trains do some black flexible rubber bellows type which I've used on my Aristo heavy weight passenger cars - They're 73mm high X 42mm wide X 28mm long. I just phoned USA Ttrains in the States, asked for their parts department, and the connectors were with me within a week - can't remember the price, but not very much. I close-coupled my coaches so only needed one connection between two coaches.

JonathanJ

South African Railways, Garratts, PRR.
24 Oct 2009
Tyne and Wear
Best answers
treetop said:
.... then I have made one as follows for my Fiat, twin set, rail car.
Is that and NZR RM class articulated railcar? Can we have pics?
Jonathan

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
hornbeam said:
Hi,

I?m building a gauge 3 coach and need some corridor connections. GRS do some ( at a price) but am wondering if anyone has ever built some, and if so have any tips, or does anyone else sell them?
Sorry can't really help with the corridor connections, but I'd love to see pics of the coach when you've built it please :D.

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I made my own from cardboard and plasticard to fit my NQ coach conversion. They look the part and cost next to nothing!
920ac765d194457098eb4c2332fce52c.jpg

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
many thanks for the info :D

Will post pics of it when I start, may not be a qucik build as in the processes of a house move ( and have lost wheels for another gauge 3 project grr). Point of this build is to build something freelance, that looks about right but cheap.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
hornbeam said:
Point of this build is to build something freelance, that looks about right but cheap.
Sounds ideal to me mate :clap:.

treetop

Model boats, trains and gliders.
1 Sep 2010
Christchurch New Zealand
Best answers
JonathanJ said:
treetop said:
.... then I have made one as follows for my Fiat, twin set, rail car.
Is that and NZR RM class articulated railcar? Can we have pics?
Jonathan
Sure thing, I will start a thread.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
these (older) corridor connections always remind me of old cameras.
do you remember them? one pushed a button, and a lid opened with the lens and a tunnel of black, folded cloth.
it should be doable to copy these.
folding a wet cloth as desired, drying with a pressing iron, then painting with black laquer paint.
(if you don't know, how to fold, ask Mel, he seems to know about Origamy...) :rofl:

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
korm kormsen said:
(if you don't know, how to fold, ask Mel, he seems to know about Origamy...) :rofl:
Yes indeed Korm, I've got a black belt in Origami :clap::clap::clap::clap:.

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
Old widscreen wiper blades make great corridor connections, I'll photo some in a bit and post them, I have a stack if you'd like to try them?

update to follow whan i dig them out.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
korm kormsen said:
Yes indeed Korm, I've got a black belt in Origami :clap::clap::clap::clap:.

marvelous! exactly, what is needed to fold black corridors! :D