COPPA regulations and your model rail videos

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
Ahem....

• Post #8 has the official video explaining things.
  • Within the first 30 seconds the person explains that this video is important to watch and that they will tell you 2 ways to set things, one per video and one for the entire channel.
  • At about 1:45 they actually tell you how to set for the entire channel.

I may sound a bit curt, please excuse me, it's because apparently few people bothered to watch the video, but we have an active discussion and some are critiquing youtube as the big corporate monster.

I did set my channel to "Adult Only" with almost no problem. The real time consuming problem was recovering the Channel that I was locked out of several years ago. It is now set to "Adult Only". Have since changed ISPs, emails and Phone companies after my wife joined me in retirement which muddies up the waters some.

I know that you didn't mean to sound curt, but some of us don't have streaming grade internet.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So, youtube actually scales videos to the connection speed, I'm frankly surprised that anyone cannot see the video, but I'll keep that comment in mind in the future when assuming everyone can see a video.

Of course it does beg the question that if someone is asking or commenting about changing this setting on THEIR youtube channel, then they MUST have sufficient bandwidth to view them, and thus this instructional video - right?

Greg

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
So, youtube actually scales videos to the connection speed, I'm frankly surprised that anyone cannot see the video, but I'll keep that comment in mind in the future when assuming everyone can see a video.

Of course it does beg the question that if someone is asking or commenting about changing this setting on THEIR youtube channel, then they MUST have sufficient bandwidth to view them, and thus this instructional video - right?

Greg
You are absolutely right. But the Corporate ISP we had while the wife was still working and I was still posting and/or watching videos was much faster than the local Cell Network. We allegedly have 3G that slows down only during "congested times", but the reality is not consistent. I can always drive into town to catch a 4G signal, but it is not always convenient.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ahem....

• Post #8 has the official video explaining things.
  • Within the first 30 seconds the person explains that this video is important to watch and that they will tell you 2 ways to set things, one per video and one for the entire channel.
  • At about 1:45 they actually tell you how to set for the entire channel.

I may sound a bit curt, please excuse me, it's because apparently few people bothered to watch the video, but we have an active discussion and some are critiquing youtube as the big corporate monster.
Yup did all of that went to Channels as she said and no sign of Audience Settings. Yes I am trying to do it on on my iPad, but what of that is all that you have? Fortunately I do have a Mac Computer so will now have to domit all in that a complete pain when you do not like subjecting your computer to the net. Hence my winges about yt.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Unfortunately, many web sites rely on Java, Flash, and other things that add into your browser that the ipad (basically an overgrown phone) may not support.

What often happens is that you just cannot "see" a selection. Making sure you have the latest system updates will help, and perhaps using a different browser other than Safari.

Greg

Paulus

Registered
13 Jan 2012
Best answers
Succeeded in changing the settings in "Channel video's" for all my video's (select all) at once to:
- No, it's not made for kids
- No, don't restrict my video to viewers over 18 only

And change the general Channel Settings in:
- No, set this channel as not made for kids. I never upload content that's made for kids

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

Greg

Or they do not have an unlimited data limit and do not open things that may use data that could be used for other things.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
What would someone with a limited data setup be doing on youtube in the first place? Seriously, if someone has a youtube account and is posting videos, they surely don't have a limited account.

Missing the point, trying to find exceptions, the statement was having issues a person setting HIS channel.

Let me quote what I said again:
"Of course it does beg the question that if someone is asking or commenting about changing this setting on THEIR youtube channel, then they MUST have sufficient bandwidth to view them, and thus this instructional video - right? "

I would posit that the percentage of youtube users that have an account AND thus have a channel, AND have posted enough videos to complain about how much work it is to change a number of videos AND has limited bandwidth is pretty darn close to ZERO percent.

That was all I was saying, the sentence in red, nothing more, my response to the "kickback" trying to give a situation where the person who posted a video was not able to view another video on youtube. Makes little sense.

Greg

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
I am 110% behind protecting children, but I do sometimes wonder what is going on in this world we live, it's hard enough getting youngsters into the hobby of model trains These days, and restricting such innocent videos is not going to help. You can't beat common sense.
Have a great Christmas all.
Kev