COPPA regulations and your model rail videos

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
If you have a Youtube channel and you post model railway videos (any video actually) you need to be aware of the COPPA regulations and how Youtube are introducing this from 1st January 2020
Basically its child protection legislation introduced in the US some time ago.
Youtube got a massive fine for falling foul of this legislation and are now putting the responsibility onto its youtube creators to declare that their vids are suitable for children or not.
There is much information on the internet regarding this legislation so you need to read up, however youtube are advising you to seek the advice of a lawyer if you are not sure............!!!!
As a result many model rail vid creators are deleting content and closing down their channels as there is the possibility that you could be fined over $40,000 for each video you post.

Reactions: 1 user

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Its a bit of a pain - think I will just say my channel is suitable for children. I don't do any moniterising anyway.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Not really sure what this is saying. Can someone explain why railway videos can fall foul of child protection, or is this for all videos on Utube?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I think they are looking at vids that may have adult content or perhaps be tutoring children for bad things. My view is that if all we are showing is a model railway or train - where is the harm in that?

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
It's typical of large organisations to go over the top on things like this and then pass the responsibility on to someone else rather than just getting their brains in gear and producing an appropriate system themselves to cover the situation. Passing the responsibility on means Youtube doesn't have to pay out money to see it keeps to the law.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It's typical of large organisations to go over the top on things like this and then pass the responsibility on to someone else rather than just getting their brains in gear and producing an appropriate system themselves to cover the situation. Passing the responsibility on means Youtube doesn't have to pay out money to see it keeps to the law.
To be fair, the legislation is probably worded in such a 'catch-all' way, that it's the only way they can manage it.

Given that Youtube is most likely heavily based on automation, passing on the responsibility means that Youtube don't have to employ more staff.

It looks as if the biggest problem could be historical content, and how to deal with that.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
There are those that seek to survive on the backs of others. They fail to take responsibility for themselves, so look for ways to capitalize whenever they see a way. Suppose someone decides their child has been hurt in some way by watching a video, then decides to sue. Where does it end ?

I may be oversimplifying this opinion, but as meaningful jobs and solid industry disappears, people will look for other ways to survive. One of those ways is to exploit others out of their money. Of course the state welfare programs are supposed to be a safety net, but the movement against these programs is in full gear nowadays.

Large corporations and banks have been the recipient of what I call Corporate Welfare. This action was supposed to keep these businesses afloat in hard times and create jobs. As we have seen the trickle down theory does not work.

In the film Drive, one of the characters, Albert Brooks, says to Ron Perlman, "The money always flows up". How true.

Reactions: 1 user

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I can't see how this legislation will affect my videos of the Peckforton Light Railway, somehow. None of my videos have been made specifically for a child audience. Ok, some kids who are into garden railways might find them interesting but they are certainly not targeted at an under 13 audience. I'll therefore use the blanket non child setting for all my content - job done!

Rik

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Given that Youtube is most likely heavily based on automation, passing on the responsibility means that Youtube don't have to employ more staff.

That's really my point - pass the buck to someone else and save yourself the dollars.

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
It has a lot to do with data collection and advertising. Collecting data on children is illegal, but if you use a system like youtube which collects data on viewers while making videos which target or appeal to children, then data gets illegally collected from those child viewers who were targeted. Youtube got in trouble because they sold advertising time to companies with the intent of marketing to children while youtube was stated to not be for children because they collect data on everyone who uses it. Basically they knew they were collecting data on children illegally and tried to profit off of it, got caught, and want to push the responsibility onto the users. If your videos are marked as 'not for kids' and they target or appeal to kids specifically, then government might go after you for data collection laws. If you mark them as 'for kids' then they lose features like monetization, comments, and promotion and must follow the guidelines as being safe for children. There's a separate part of youtube called 'youtube kids' which if used will still collect all sorts of information from kids including logs off of your computer, but it's done with the parental consent required to use youtube kids. But data collection is the root of the problem. I'm thinking it might be worth it to migrate to another video hosting site like BitChute.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Which is all a bit silly when you know kids have easy access to anything on the television these days.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I can't see how this legislation will affect my videos of the Peckforton Light Railway, somehow. None of my videos have been made specifically for a child audience. Ok, some kids who are into garden railways might find them interesting but they are certainly not targeted at an under 13 audience. I'll therefore use the blanket non child setting for all my content - job done!

Rik
Rik, I think you may be correct as this should prevent you falling foul of this rather overarching "catch all" law.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Rik
Interesting Rik, have searched in vain for this setting even trying yt help. Where is it please?

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

Rik

Rik, am I missing something ? What do I need to do or how do I activate the "Non child setting" ?

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
You need to use YouTube studio app (different to the one you view and upload in), to do it on phones or tablets.
I’ve tried contacting them as I have two old accounts I can’t access that I can’t change, no response so far!!

How to set videos
F034FCAA-568D-4B6F-AD32-7DC20F56D1F7.png

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Typical that any option to keep one legal will be made almost impossible to use in a user friendly way. Thanks a bunch You Tube. But well done for persevering Paul.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I read back and don't see anyone talking about setting the default option for your channel... setting that sets it for all unless you make an exception is my understanding

Greg

Greg,

That's possibly because folks do not know how to do it, could you possibly provide some tuition on how it is done?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Ahem....

• Post #8 has the official video explaining things.
  • Within the first 30 seconds the person explains that this video is important to watch and that they will tell you 2 ways to set things, one per video and one for the entire channel.
  • At about 1:45 they actually tell you how to set for the entire channel.

I may sound a bit curt, please excuse me, it's because apparently few people bothered to watch the video, but we have an active discussion and some are critiquing youtube as the big corporate monster.