Converting LGB Tipplers to 7/8ths Scale

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Next up, I've started on a bogie wagon...... still deciding on what it will finally be, but, the underframe is partly done, and has been for a test run with the rest of my 7/8ths stock.

DSC_0886.JPG

It is just a standard Bachmann underframe, taken in this case from my tank wagon (that always seemed out of place on the Taita Gorge Railway). Replacement small Bachmann wheelsets fitted, and the LGB link and pin couplers substituted. Next step is carve off all the brake piping and linkage (except for that associated with the handbrake).

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the visitors from the 7/8ths Forum that have been linked to here to read this, and, hopefully, other posts.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Progress today, on the bogie wagon.... all the Air Brake gear has been removed. And, it only took 5 minutes to convert a Tipple to 7/8ths (but, it will take longer to paint it). That makes 6 in the rake now, or two rakes of 3, one loaded, one empty, that has some potential for hide and seek switching I think.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Here we are, hot off the press.... yesterday's conversion.

DSC_0887.JPG

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Drying, as we speak.......

Dry, and out running on the Taita Gorge Railway. Actually ran out of the Red Oxide paint I use, so I painted the tub the weathering black, with the intention of mist coating the Red Oxide when I get some. Trip to the shop this morning revealed every colour, except the one I wanted.

DSC_0899.JPG

....oh, don't forget, it is the middle of winter here. Train running is still possible.

Reactions: 1 user

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Dry, and out running on the Taita Gorge Railway. Actually ran out of the Red Oxide paint I use, so I painted the tub the weathering black, with the intention of mist coating the Red Oxide when I get some. Trip to the shop this morning revealed every colour, except the one I wanted.

View attachment 270234

....oh, don't forget, it is the middle of winter here. Train running is still possible.
Excellent picture Gavin. The rake of skips is coming on nicely.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent picture Gavin. The rake of skips is coming on nicely.

Here endeth the rake.... I've run out of couplers. I'll keep one box original to use as an example of how things were done.

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 270234

Well, finally got that last wagon painted/weathered properly. Turns out that misting the black base coat with red oxide achieved the same result.........

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
There's a gent on eBay selling inexpensive link-and-pin components from Sri Lanka.
G Scale Plastic Links&Pins (Pack of 6 Links & 12 Pins) | eBay
I have used them on those same underframes with no problems. See this LSC thread:
Large Scale Central - Advanced Forum Detail Topic - Inexpensive Link-and-Pin Couplers on Ebay
(P.S. that tippler came off a Faller eTrain set that I picked up in an estate sale.)

20180103_102143_coupler-pin-link.jpg

Had a good look at those, mainly due to the cheaper price. However, once I saw the hacking and modification required to the wagon (rather than just a straight swap out), I gave them a miss.

The Tinker

Every day I wake up is a good day
6 Feb 2014
Whangamata New Zealand
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
Had a good look at those, mainly due to the cheaper price. However, once I saw the hacking and modification required to the wagon (rather than just a straight swap out), I gave them a miss.
I am thinking of printing some lgb ones. Pins might be a problem. Will try tomorrow

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Small pop rivets?

That's what some of us use when we lose, or run out of, the proper pins. For links, there is some chain about that is the same size as the LGB link.... just break the chain down to individual links.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0913.JPG

Once was.

DSC_0912 _2_.JPG

Pure LGB (45775) behind my 7/8ths. Taken at today's meet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user