Converting LGB Tipplers to 7/8ths Scale

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0613 - Copy.JPG

Wadda ya mean 'let's see it in colour'........ that is the colour shot !

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 258822

Wadda ya mean 'let's see it in colour'........ that is the colour shot !

Thanks for the thumbs up, Mick. I've just added some more colour to the loco.... Henry Ford's favourite.
All set for Rail-Ex, just as the thunderstorms arrive, but they're only here for a few hours. Spring warmth, and tropical showers sure encourage weed growth on the railway.

Reactions: 1 user

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
The Davenport has debuted on the Pine Valley Siding 7/8ths layout at Rail-Ex, and it looked damned fine, too.
It even ran ! Must do some photos tomorrow.

BCalcott

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
26 Mar 2015
Upper Hutt
Best answers
I did snap a photo with a somewhat dirty table held up in the background.

18FE345B-544E-4C53-B66A-7C1D7DE206C3.png

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
I did snap a photo with a somewhat dirty table held up in the background.

View attachment 258859

That's Ben's layout, knocked up inside a week. Overnight, after this was taken, he made an auto shuttle electrical thingy, and installed it before start of play today. It works, and is rumoured to cost in the vicinity of $5.00. Oh, and that Hawe works too, battery powered.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
That's Ben's layout, knocked up inside a week. Overnight, after this was taken, he made an auto shuttle electrical thingy, and installed it before start of play today. It works, and is rumoured to cost in the vicinity of $5.00. Oh, and that Hawe works too, battery powered.
Hm must be a NZ thing, Hawe?

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Hm must be a NZ thing, Hawe?

German, I believe. First came across these things on Gn15 sites. No doubt some 'informed' member can enlighten us all.

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0659.JPG

Now, we have a driver. This is a standard (as in the only one they make) Tamyia 1:14 Truck driver, modified his left arm position, and screwed his head a bit. Actually found this to be one of the cheapest 7/8ths figures on the market. Searched on line, particularly UK and the States... all similar prices, and a lot out of stock. Went on to a Radio Controlled models site here in NZ, not only the same price, but in stock, and only domestic postage. :cool:

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0693.JPG

After spending Christmas day running around Taita Gorge in his cricketing whites, our driver, yet to be named, has changed into more suitable working clobber. Except that the paints I nicked from my GD didn't mix up too well, resulting in a rather psycedelic green shirt. Then, I found the colour I wanted in the first place (hidden, as usual, right in front of me). So, he got a change of shirt later on today (photo yet to come).

DSC_0692 (2).JPG

Unwanted Christmas present, one fluro green shirt. Offers.

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Started on the cab today, started being the operative word. Cut the front and rear panels out..... but didn't look right, direct scaling up from the Gn15 version has resulted in a too high cab. OK, lower it, no, changes the 'character too much. End result, I'm going 'open cab'. That was simply just a case of adding a side 'half' wall. No problem, except, didn't look right..... too thin, so I added an angle iron cap on it. That then made the back wall not look right, so that got the same treatment. In my excitement to get it finished, I pressed the nozzle too hard on the rattle can, so that has meant some scraping, waiting for drying, sanding, and masking. Tomorrow is paint day, and photo day. The joys of modelling.

Next up, some believable looking controls.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0733.JPG

First coat of paint on the 'open' cab. The driver is away, test fitting the cushion he will be sitting on.

Takes a photo to find the painting imperfections... top of the back wall needs another coat, at least. Edit ... That's been taken care of, came up nice.

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0734.JPG

In control ! Simple control lever is one of the finishing touches... it's a 'hat pin', the pin being too thin, so I stripped some wire out of a piece of insulated wire, and put the pin in that, bent to shape, and glued appropriately. Looks OK, and believable. Might get the driver a newer pair of jeans.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 260514

In control ! Simple control lever is one of the finishing touches... it's a 'hat pin', the pin being too thin, so I stripped some wire out of a piece of insulated wire, and put the pin in that, bent to shape, and glued appropriately. Looks OK, and believable. Might get the driver a newer pair of jeans.
No he needs some scruffy thread bare oily ones. Now there is a challenge!

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
No he needs some scruffy thread bare oily ones. Now there is a challenge!

In my haste to get him dressed, I did use some 'cheap' (stolen from GD) acrylics for the shoes, jeans, and shirt. The hair and skin were good ol' Tamiya. I've since reshirted him with one from the Tamiycollection. I do like the flat finish you get with the Tamiya paints.

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
In my haste to get him dressed, I did use some 'cheap' (stolen from GD) acrylics for the shoes, jeans, and shirt. The hair and skin were good ol' Tamiya. I've since reshirted him with one from the Tamiya collection. I do like the flat finish you get with the Tamiya paints.

Finished (famous last words). The driver has been to the outfitters, and got new trousers, and matching boots as well.

Given that this is to be a 'working' model, I have decided (wisely ?) to forego superdetailing. All set to play away on 7/8ths layouts, or have something to run when SE modellers come visiting.

DSC_0735.JPG

Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
In my haste to get him dressed, I did use some 'cheap' (stolen from GD) acrylics for the shoes, jeans, and shirt. The hair and skin were good ol' Tamyia. I've since reshirted him with one from the Tamyia collection. I do like the flat finish you get with the Tamyia paints.
I have some near 40 year old Rooney Acrylic tubes and that at full strength tends to be a bit on the near gloss side, Tamiya flat finish is certainly the best of all.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
I have some near 40 year old Rooney Acrylic tubes and that at full strength tends to be a bit on the near gloss side, Tamiya flat finish is certainly the best of all.

Have a closer look at the last two photos. Note in the former, the cab tends to have a gloss about it, and the latter, has a more correct flat finish (as intended). The difference ? Same can of rattle paint, but in the case of the former, not enough rattle! Yep, if you don't mix the paint thoroughly, then it is hard to get the flat finish.... hence, the light respray this morning after a long and vigorous workout with the spray can.