trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Here's one I did 30-odd years ago - big wheels instead of small!

SGT Maintenance _5_.JPG

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A line that I somehow keep on managing to miss even when I was living in Horbury Bridge.

Reactions: 1 user

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Swapped couplers on my O&K Feldbahn LGB loco, and hooked up my rake of converted tipplers. More convinced now that they are oversize for G scale.

A

Alec K

Here's one I did 30-odd years ago - big wheels instead of small!

View attachment 254874
Would this be the Shipley Glen Tramway in the Aire Valley between Bradford and Bingley, by any chance? If so- and memory serves me correct (!) - I was last there in 1968 on a field visit from Margaret McMillan College in Bradford. Happy days - and a great place to learn.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Would this be the Shipley Glen Tramway in the Aire Valley between Bradford and Bingley, by any chance? If so- and memory serves me correct (!) - I was last there in 1968 on a field visit from Margaret McMillan College in Bradford. Happy days - and a great place to learn.

It is indeed!

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Fourth wagon converted at the weekend..... I've now run out of wheel sets. Rake looks good.
I'm thinking one of those topless Little Jonny LGB diesels with a 7/8ths man on the seat may make a suitable loco, or chuck away the cab on a Bachmann Gas Mechanical and scratch a 7/8ths one' just like the 3 Gn15 ones I have.

189.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Friendly retailer was at the same show as me today, and again, I've cleaned him out of small Bachmann wheels. Another (and last) conversion will take place tomorrow at the show. I have to keep two of the wagons in old format for my Ginglenook performances.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Simultaneously whilst Ginglenooking at Masterton, I did a demonstration on my conversion techniques...
that makes a rake of 5 now, with the latest one still to receive the rattle can treatment.
Beaut thing about shows, is often there is a trader that has just what you want... small bags full of self tapping screws that are the same as LGB, and only $2 for a bag of 20.
Bought another to fix the kids toys that I raided for this project, and to also standardise my other link and pin equipped stock.

A few random shots from the show...

DSC_0548 _2_.JPG

Prototype of this is just along the track from our family's ancestrial burial ground.

DSC_0551.JPG

Colonial modelling, par excellence. Sn3½ Dubs A working on Kerosine Creek.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Rake of 5 now completed.

I may just do some further (experimental) weathering at some stage. Do fancy that idea of liquid rust.... from what I've read, it's just PVA (or similar), and iron filings that do what iron is supposed to do. May even try to grind up some real rust, and try that. Reckon that it is the texture that makes a good model rust, plain paint never seems to look right.

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Put the cars out to run in G guise (hauled by O&K loco) at the Featherston meet yesterday.
Trader had another in original condition, and I mean original, number on box was 4243. Wrong price, and considering I would have had extras to add, he still has the car.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Now, something to haul them with..

DSCF0057.JPG

Yes, that will do.

Thing is, that's all in Gn15. However, I''ve just won the similar Bachmann loco in G scale, so I'll upscale it the same way this one was done from On30 to Gn15.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Now, something to haul them with..

View attachment 258219

Yes, that will do.

Thing is, that's all in Gn15. However, I''ve just won the similar Bachmann loco in G scale, so I'll upscale it the same way this one was done from On30 to Gn15.
That little Bachman 0 Loco gives me the idea that one of them Battery Powered Gn15’d with Deltang and small Lipo Batteries would be a great project for a small Garden Railway in the Rockery.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
That little Bachman 0 Loco gives me the idea that one of them Battery Powered Gn15’d with Deltang and small Lipo Batteries would be a great project for a small Garden Railway in the Rockery.

DSCF1065.JPG

DSCF1101.JPG

Pretty easy to do. Front one is the original, followed by one with a scratchbuilt cab conversion (by my friend Paul Napier), then another of mine with the conversion built kack handed (just to be different), and finally one just completed, and awaiting the painter. Two of them were actually built at the same show, a year apart.

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0589.JPG

G scale today, 7/8ths tomorrow.

Plan of attack... off with the Bachmann coupler. The housing may adapt to take links, or I'll slip in an LGB link and pin coupler. The front footboard goes.
Handhold on just the radiator remains, and the side handrails will probably get a thicker wire. And finally, a new cab, similar to the On30 conversion kit by Sidelines.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0608.JPG

One last look at the 'donor' loco. Actually on the shelf as I was browsing the exploded diagram.

DSC_0609.JPG

Cabless, and modified. Now I'm a fully fledged 7/8ths (albeit topless) operator.

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0611.JPG

Cab surgery..... still with wet paint, and only loose fitted (hence the paralax error with the ex window frame). Back wall is similarly cut down, but still in the paint booth.
These 'walls' will be the foundation for a Sidelines type cab unit that will snug fit. Note the rear Calcott Patent coupler. I butchered the old cab mainly to retain the screw in fitting, and the fact that the hood fits into a groove in the front wall.

This rush, is the result of a post lunch 'challange'...... 'You'll have it ready for Rail-Ex on Saturday, won't you'.

Progress photo, just for the record.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
..... 'You'll have it ready for Rail-Ex on Saturday, won't you'.

If the paint dries sufficiently overnight, I'll take it into work for 'show and tell' tomorrow.

I think to only other mod I will make to this open cab version, are thicker hand rails, and a safety rail, Heywood style, across the top of the back wall.

DSC_0612.JPG

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Well, show and tell never got to happen... the paint was not cured enough for the loco to be boxed up.
However, it was up on a screen when I got to work, with others discussing 'things'.
Turns out, I decide to build a loco, in a week, for Rail-Ex....... someone else has built a complete layout in less than the same time.
I have been invited to run my 7/8ths on it.