Converting LGB Tipplers to 7/8ths Scale

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
I've been posting some random thoughts on the daily pages about LGB tipplers, and their suitability for use as 7/8ths stock.
Just so I don't loose some of those ramblings, I thought it better to open a thread on the topic.

DSC_0404.JPG

Here's what made my mind up, one of my LGB tipplers, box original, alongside a Slaters 7/8ths kit made up (owned and assembled by Ben Calcott, as seen on his Pine Valley Railway).

Bulk wise, this is a no brainer. So what's 'wrong' with the LGB model. I've heard comments that it is too toylike. I tend to agree, especially when seen here. The wheels, to my mind, are far too big (and plastic). Finally, the couplers..... say no more.

Plan of attack, decent couplers, smaller metal wheels, and a few more rivets/detail.
I have already trial fitted the small Bachmann metal wheels. They work, and pass the 'eye' test.
Couplers, easy, LGB Link and Pin... straight swap out. A tad expensive, but worth it. In any case, by using the smaller wheels, the coupler height drops, and standard LGBs would be too low.

Once the bits arrive, I will post progress. I know that others have used these wagons in 7/8th, so the concept is not original, but, rather, independantly developed 'my way'.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I agree with you the LGB ones make perfect 7/8 Tippers with a few minor tweaks as you suggest.

Lumps and bumps are a must created with the cooler part of a Soldering Iron. Repaint of Course plus some Rust. Easily achieved by the Casey Special Method of Iron Filings on a slop of Vinegar. Vola overnight Rust. Or you could use some of the Generic Modelling effects or even at a pinch Dry Brushing. As for Couplings on mine years ago the LGB Hooks and Loops were replaced with a Nail with two sides of the head flattened and a Paper Clip, crude but cheep. Or even the loops are cheaply made with Brass Electrical Mains wire bent to taste and soledered at the join. Wheels also need a good weather or if you have Steel ones a soak in Vinegar and overnight they will have rusted nicely. Must try to dig out a pic of my old LGB Hoppers if any exist.

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
For lumps and bumps in my Binnie skips, I use a hot air gun. I find it easy to get longer and deeper "damage"

StephH

7/8ths and 1/12th modeling in Railways and Birdwat
24 Oct 2009
Derbyshire
gardenrailway.webs.com
Best answers
Country flag
Another way to bend and bump is to use a candle flame as a gentle heat source, I found that quite controllable after a bit of practice. I used various items to push shapes into the soft plastic.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
My distressed Tippers were a bit Camera shy so sadly these 2 are the best I can do, but you can make out some of the abuse. Sadly the Red Hot Needle trick for Rust Holes does not work as the Plastic is too big on the LGB Tippers.7DCE9E3D-1BB7-4B81-83CA-A43064C4F210.jpeg1CCF3857-FC63-413D-A25D-3D2A29693C0E.jpeg

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Fed-Ex tell me that my couplers have arrived in Wellington, delivery due tomorrow.
Pity, I won't be home, family funeral up north. Still, Thursday is a holiday, so after ANZAC services, it will be into some of the conversion work.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Fed-Ex tell me that my couplers have arrived in Wellington, delivery due tomorrow.
Pity, I won't be home, family funeral up north. Still, Thursday is a holiday, so after ANZAC services, it will be into some of the conversion work.

The dreaded courier curse..... their calling card, wouldn't leave goods without a signature. However, couplers arrived this morning. Quick trip on the train out to Mack's Tracks,
and I've cleaned them out of wheelsets. Wrong price, but doing the sums on importing them, works out about par. The retailer can have tea tonight.
Carp weather tomorrow... guess what I'll be doing (hopefully).

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0455.JPG

Hot off the workbench, first cut. Need to get some small screws to attach the pin chain to the headstock, then it'll be into the paint booth.
Those smaller wheels certainly do the trick.... less toylike already, don't you think.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 251440

Hot off the workbench, first cut. Need to get some small screws to attach the pin chain to the headstock, then it'll be into the paint booth.
Those smaller wheels certainly do the trick.... less toylike already, don't you think.
The smaller wheels certainly make a difference. Sadly to convert my fleet of 29 skips would be too expensive.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Couplers, easy, LGB Link and Pin... straight swap out. A tad expensive,
There's a gent on eBay selling inexpensive link-and-pin components from Sri Lanka.
G Scale Plastic Links&Pins (Pack of 6 Links & 12 Pins) | eBay
I have used them on those same underframes with no problems. See this LSC thread:
Large Scale Central - Advanced Forum Detail Topic - Inexpensive Link-and-Pin Couplers on Ebay
(P.S. that tippler came off a Faller eTrain set that I picked up in an estate sale.)

20180103_102143_coupler-pin-link.jpg

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Here are the essential items for this conversion

DSC_0479.JPG

..and here is the basic conversion

DSC_0480.JPG

What I've tried to do, is create a model that looks like it could actually be a stock standard LGB item. Sorely tempted to come up with an LGB number for this, and 'alter' the box label, just to fool any 'snobs'..... 'ooh, I've got that one, they don't make it any more' (you know the type).

Next up, a bit of weathering.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Sorely tempted to come up with an LGB number for this, and 'alter' the box label, just to fool .....

4243, original of this model. 41430, next edition, and 42430 is this red model. 43430 seems to be free............

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Another one converted this afternoon. Found a good source of suitable screws.... old kids toys.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0541.JPG

The finished product..... painting all by rattle can.

DSC_0540.JPG

A rake of them. It's the small wheels that really set these off.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 254636

The finished product..... painting all by rattle can.

View attachment 254637

A rake of them. It's the small wheels that really set these off.
Without a doubt the Small Wheels have made the transformation, with the normal sized LGB ones I always thought the Tippers looked a little Toy like. A special box with the 3 in and Numbered 43430 as Gavin suggests would certainly con the boxers. Sure an adapted old see through long one with new Card Insert to hold the 3 would be a fun project in its own right.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I have 29 of the LGB skips and I’m going to convert all of them to smaller wheel sets. My local model shop will be getting a large order for the Bachmann 24.5mm wheel sets. I will also convert my older Feldbahn stock and tourist coaches.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
I have 29 of the LGB skips and I’m going to convert all of them to smaller wheel sets. My local model shop will be getting a large order for the Bachmann 24.5mm wheel sets. I will also convert my older Feldbahn stock and tourist coaches.

Casey, the 24.5 Bachmanns fitted the Tipplers OK, there is a technique to levering them in and out. I think the tourist coaches are same/similar chassis.
Now, Feldbahn stock....... the Bachmanns don't fit, their axles are longer, and fatter. You might just squeeze one in, but it won't turn. I've just been out to the train shed to check.

Last edited:

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Casey, the 24.5 Bachmanns fitted the Tipplers OK, there is a technique to levering them in and out. I think the tourist coaches are same/similar chassis.
Now, Feldbahn stock....... the Bachmanns don't fit, their axles are longer, and fatter. You might just squeeze one in, but it won't turn. I've just been out to the train shed to check.
Thanks for the information Gavin. The feldbahn stock I was referring to are the older LGB stock that share the same chassis as the skips. I have already converted a scenic coach and a flat wagon:-
image.jpg
The sight seeing coach has Bachmann 24.5mm wheels fitted, the flat wagon is fitted with Accucraft small wheels. All came from the spares box.
The next picture shows two LGB first generation skips:-
E19024E2-4CD2-44D1-95D7-9F9DE732A2DF.jpeg
The skip on the right is fitted with Accucraft small wheels, the skip on the left has the original wheels.