Converting a Bachmann Percy to Battery Power ?

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Would like to convert my new Bachamnn Percy to battery power. It's the DCC/DC version with sound. Since I operate battery power, I don't expect to get the library of sounds that this loco has. I do hear the steam chuff and whistle however, using my LGB power pack, on the test track.

So before I dive into this I need to know where to connect the wires from my battery power trailing car. Normally, the bottom of any motor block is removable, and the pick-up wipers can easily be seen. In this case, I don't think the motor block has the capability to have its bottom removed. It appears to be a single casting.

Here are two photos of the innards.IMG_4301.jpgIMG_4299.jpg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Use the red and black from the switch, to the main board..
That will give you the same functionality as running it on analogue.

PhilP

Reactions: 1 user

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I would remove the noise board from the motor too.... it a POS.... and can make some controllers nuts.
Greg, can you point out which piece that is ?

I am using G Scale Graphics Railboss Plus to control the loco. The RB+ has station stop capability. So when the train passes over an in track magnet, the train slows to a stop and moves off after a predetermined time. However, when Percy passed over the magnet and slowed to a stop, it started up again in reverse. I have to turn off the RB in order to get the train to run forward again.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The board soldered to the end of the motor. unsolder the 2 motor wires, remove the board, solder the 2 wires back to the motor brush terminals.

The decoder in the loco is a crippled SoundTraxx, it does weird stuff under DCC too.

Greg

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Use the red and black from the switch, to the main board..
That will give you the same functionality as running it on analogue.

PhilP
I had an awol brain when I looked at the underside, at first. After I examined the underside again, in better light, I saw the six screws holding the bottom motor plate on. I removed the plate and cut the wires to the axle wipers, pulled them up into the cab and attached them to female lighting plugs that protrude from the rear of the cab, just below the lantern.