Converted Otto to vaguely US outline

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
First of all, I doff my cap at some of the amazing bashes I have seen within this area of the forum. This isn't one of them!
Sadly I don't have the patience (or skills) to emulate some of the masterworks here. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a bit of creative hacking and slashing from time to time.

Recently I bought a cheap ebay 'Otto' type loco, made up of red blue and yellow plastics and garish Circus logos, purely as a source for some spare parts. To my surprise though, it actually ran quite well, its only problem being lumps of semi solidified grease gumming up the drive cogs. Once cleaned up it was smooth and silent, too good I felt, to simply strip for parts.

So, I decided to give Otto a more American outline to fit with the rest of my railway. I should say upfront I'm not a stickler for accuracy. I'm not trying to make an authentic US loco, just something that looks more similar in style to blend with my other locos and general US theme. And not quite so cheerfully colourful!!
Here is how it looked when I bought it.

s-l1600.jpgs-l1601.jpgs-l1602.jpgs-l1604.jpg

First I hacked at the cab, removed the rear to open it out, got rid if the side boxes and gave it a new plasticard roof. Shaped the curve of the roof by forcing the plasticard into a tumbler and applying some heat every couple of hours. When I took it out it unfurled of course, but did retain a curve which made it easier to glue to the cab.
Then extended the rear of the cab by about an inch and filled in the side doors.
Once all that was completed it was time to get rid of all those colours with a all over paint job starting with a good coat of primer (after first removing all the wee brass bits and lights.)
And here it is now, after a spray of dull black, and a bit of rust and dirt.
Oh, and a cowcatcher made from plasticard, which I intend redo later, a bit more carefully! That was the prototype just to see how i could fit one and to get an idea of how the loco would look with it
All done in 2 days.
It needs a more US style chimney, but I havn't thought of a good way to do that yet. Any ideas welcomed.
I realise this post would have been more informative if I had took some photos at the in between stages, but once I get started, I just keep ploughing on till I'm done :)

DSCF7255.JPGDSCF7256.JPGDSCF7257.JPGDSCF7258.JPGDSCF7259.JPG

Last edited:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good to me ! You need a small tender behind it.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
There was a US outline Otto produced, you can still get parts for it including the smoke stack. Try:
or do a search for LGB 92078.
Regards,
Paul.

Last edited:

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Looks right at home, nice job and like madman said needs a tender, here is the one I did on a passenger car bogie out of a plastic box for my 2010 bash
254424Rosy RS profile.JPGRosy rear tender shot.JPG

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
First of all, I doff my cap at some of the amazing bashes I have seen within this area of the forum. This isn't one of them!
Sadly I don't have the patience (or skills) to emulate some of the masterworks here. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a bit of creative hacking and slashing from time to time.

Recently I bought a cheap ebay 'Otto' type loco, made up of red blue and yellow plastics and garish Circus logos, purely as a source for some spare parts. To my surprise though, it actually ran quite well, its only problem being lumps of semi solidified grease gumming up the drive cogs. Once cleaned up it was smooth and silent, too good I felt, to simply strip for parts.

So, I decided to give Otto a more American outline to fit with the rest of my railway. I should say upfront I'm not a stickler for accuracy. I'm not trying to make an authentic US loco, just something that looks more similar in style to blend with my other locos and general US theme. And not quite so cheerfully colourful!!
Here is how it looked when I bought it.

View attachment 254398View attachment 254399View attachment 254400View attachment 254401

First I hacked at the cab, removed the rear to open it out, got rid if the side boxes and gave it a new plasticard roof. Shaped the curve of the roof by forcing the plasticard into a tumbler and applying some heat every couple of hours. When I took it out it unfurled of course, but did retain a curve which made it easier to glue to the cab.
Then extended the rear of the cab by about an inch and filled in the side doors.
Once all that was completed it was time to get rid of all those colours with a all over paint job starting with a good coat of primer (after first removing all the wee brass bits and lights.)
And here it is now, after a spray of dull black, and a bit of rust and dirt.
Oh, and a cowcatcher made from plasticard, which I intend redo later, a bit more carefully! That was the prototype just to see how i could fit one and to get an idea of how the loco would look with it
All done in 2 days.
It needs a more US style chimney, but I havn't thought of a good way to do that yet. Any ideas welcomed.
I realise this post would have been more informative if I had took some photos at the in between stages, but once I get started, I just keep ploughing on till I'm done :)

View attachment 254402View attachment 254403View attachment 254404View attachment 254405View attachment 254406
Great little bash there,very Porter looking and looks a lot different from "out of the box",looks the part in the pics:cool::clap::clap::clap:,as for circus locos I changed 2 Big Hauler 4 6 0`s to normal road locos,red ,white,blue and gold livery just didn`t quite fit in with the rest of my stock!!!

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks for the comments and suggestions. In general I'm fairly happy with how it turned out, the only thing I am mildly annoyed about is that I should have taken more time to ensure the door openings were filled in seamlessly. I thought three coats of black spray plus the primer would cover the joins. Should have used a filler and sanded it down I guess. Lesson learned for next time,

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks for the comments and suggestions. In general I'm fairly happy with how it turned out, the only thing I am mildly annoyed about is that I should have taken more time to ensure the door openings were filled in seamlessly. I thought three coats of black spray plus the primer would cover the joins. Should have used a filler and sanded it down I guess. Lesson learned for next time,

You can always make a 'feature' of it? - Modified an old cab in the yard, and now the seams are rusting-out? :think:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag

I noticed that and thought it was just the signs of a hard life on the tracks.

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks to modell-land link provided by Paul2727, I was able to get the US style smokestack. Easy to order via the translated page, and arrived within a few days from Germany. Finally got round to fitting it today, and it definitely helps with illusion of an authentic US loco I think.

DSCF7261.JPG

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Not many people would have known, if it was spotted, as Playmofire said, it looks like a feature

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Think it looks great, I neither have the ability or patients to do master crafter work but like you enjoy what I do do not to say it's dodo just don't turn mine over, if looks good from where I'm standing then it good to go. Nice job and the new stack adds a lot, Bill

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
Glad to have been of service.
Regards,
Paul.