Controversial tip

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I don't have any playmobil figures and never will have. I use all George Turner figures which are available in the correct scale for me and are full of character. Having said that I can see that people who use playmobil figures are having FUN and there is nothing wrong with that.

Paul's tip does seem somewhat snobbish.

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
d5eac8db81c94e31b63d262a2d0cadc8.jpg
No Playmobil here , As i tend to model the Rio Grande Narrow Gauge most of my figures are 1:20.3 scale and made by Railroad Avenue with a few from Woodland Scenics.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Agree not great as models, but as stated Playmobil has allowed father and small boys to play happily in paralell for hours at a time. Worst hassle is having to stop a train to allow boarding now and again. So I agree with Paul!

Another issue of realisim is that when the kids put a baddy playmobil guy on the track to meet a deserved and grusome end the results are bad for the train. A more realistic model would surely not derail a train......?

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
CoggesRailway said:
Agree not great as models, but as stated Playmobil has allowed father and small boys to play happily in paralell for hours at a time. Worst hassle is having to stop a train to allow boarding now and again.
(snip)
There are worse things than Playmobil to worry about! See this 1998 picture....
076fbb5a8a94426ba36c158c869b26f2.jpg

Play figures are good. That lot allowed some father-daughter play time while getting maternal approval to increase the stock and track. From little figures, mighty railway empires grow!

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
CoggesRailway said:
Agree not great as models, but as stated Playmobil has allowed father and small boys to play happily in paralell for hours at a time. Worst hassle is having to stop a train to allow boarding now and again.
(snip)
There are worse things than Playmobil to worry about! See this 1998 picture....
images

Play figures are good. That lot allowed some father-daughter play time while getting maternal approval to increase the stock and track. From little figures, mighty railway empires grow!
I can live with the tele tubies and if i must the animal figures but the carpet you should be shot for that one :rofl:

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
For me the great thing about garden railways is that most of the bretheren don't take it too seriously. And I don't see why it should be taken seriously. Work is serious, leisure time is not.

Anyway the normal track, curves and vegitation are nowhere near being serious models. And lets face it LGB is not made to anything like a strict scale so cannot be counted as serious models. Doesn't detract from the enjoyment so long as you don't try to be too serious. If you want serious you should do gauge 1 and get het up about the difference between 1/32 and 10mm to the foot (1/32.8).

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Steve said:
(snip)
I can live with the tele tubies and if i must the animal figures but the carpet you should be shot for that one :rofl:
Very fashionable in France in 1998! When we returned to the UK, it found a new life as floor covering for my garden shed..... :D

Steve

1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
Steve said:
(snip)
Very fashionable in France in 1998! When we returned to the UK, it found a new life as floor covering for my garden shed..... :D

FRANCE , That explains a lot :clap:

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
Three Christmases ago, shortly after I had completed my railroad and added some locos and stock, two of my grandchildren (brother and sister) gave me some figures viz: cowboys and cowgirl. Sheriff and Deputy plus Indian Chief and some of his braves and totem pole. They are slightly over sized for 1:22.5 and 1:29 but I am more than happy to accommodate them. Their quality is good and whilst they are permanently out-of-doors I add that their paintwork has not deteriorated.

I believe the question about figures and many facets of G Scale modeling for that matter is a matter of perception. That is to say - it either looks fine or it doesn't. Similar to beauty it seems is that "it is in the eye of the beholder".

Reading at thread recently which covered the topic of 'coal' real, or otherwise, in loco tenders or bunkers it crossed my mind that whilst there might be a forceful debate regarding the origin or composition of the 'coal', few would concern themselves that the tender/bunker is, in the main, made from a form of 'plastic' rather than the steel of its prototype.
;)

I am sure many, who have children visit their empires will know that some children like to make a visible contribution to the railway: this often involves their placing of figures, or tiny structures, which are usually out of scale and quite inappropriate, somewhere near the permanent way. However sensibilities and common courtesies dictate that they are welcomed and accepted - for a while anyway.:rolleyes:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Well - if nothing else - we have certainly found the place for Rule 8 (its my railway etc etc.)

Each to his own.

mikka

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Victoria, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
sorry i really dont know why its even a controvesy?

seriously though, there are makers that make painted figures in g scale for about $2 a person.......

the playmobil does give the railway the "catering for all ages" look

id say its quite chaming myself :D

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
tac said:
Me and my stuffed vulture and the crows have been all over the world playing trains, from H0 to 1:1 - having fun. :clap:

Tigger says he'll drink to that...

1c483fd49b37432c97e00d335074195d.jpg

Steve

1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Cheeky Monkey said:
So Competition time, who has a picture worse than that one ?

Are Christmas Elves allowed? Or will their mention earn me a 7 day ban?:impatient:

images

Is that one taken from me open day Chas

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
Well I've got nothing against fun and kids (though as a father of six I do think their pleasures can be overrated:() but there are times when it's nice to attempt a passibly realistic photograph. In 1:22.5 scale I don't think anyone comes close to Preiser. In 1:20.3 and 16mm there are possibly a few other makes that are pretty good. I have a couple of Schleich figures that are very good value but they are over size so cannot be used alongside the Preiser.

As others have said, there are a lot of other jarring factors to contend with in the garden such as fences, flowers and clothes lines but sometimes a couple of quality figures can assist the scene.

These comments are only relevant to photographic realism as opposed to realistic character where caricature figures such as Busybodies and Jon's come into their own.

Anyhoo here's 4 pics which show Preiser figures adding to the scene IMHO, although the driver of Treasure Girl in the third pic is a modified Schleich blacksmith.

3d7d50a2bae440bb94c4b8efaf59b658.jpg
d88417aa4dbd476da4ba600a7e59b3a0.jpg
4b10dc00c4c549bfaaff4923a5642f73.jpg
c80b5228e64f4079bdc88a016a73f0e3.jpg

Steve

1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
railwayman198 said:
Well I've got nothing against fun and kids (though as a father of six I do think their pleasures can be overrated:() but there are times when it's nice to attempt a passibly realistic photograph. In 1:22.5 scale I don't think anyone comes close to Preiser. In 1:20.3 and 16mm there are possibly a few other makes that are pretty good. I have a couple of Schleich figures that are very good value but they are over size so cannot be used alongside the Preiser.

As others have said, there are a lot of other jarring factors to contend with in the garden such as fences, flowers and clothes lines but sometimes a couple of quality figures can assist the scene.

These comments are only relevant to photographic realism as opposed to realistic character where caricature figures such as Busybodies and Jon's come into their own.

Anyhoo here's 4 pics which show Preiser figures adding to the scene IMHO, although the driver of Treasure Girl in the third pic is a modified Schleich blacksmith.

images
images
images
images

Brilliant Pictures Philip

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
I think Phillips pictures make Pauls intended point quite nicely - if you want a good picture, then choose your content wisely. Playmobil figures, Darth Vader & those characatures which look like they have been hit in the face with a firemans shovel are fine, but if you want a Better picture then leave 'em out. Personally, my own model making makes me cringe, so anything which diverts the eye is good ! Next year, my train set will therefore include a nine foot high model of Paris Hilton covered in Caburys Dairy Milk - purely for photographic purposes :D

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Guys, with all due respect, lets remember Paul's original point. If you're taking a photo of a really nice loco or complete train, there is no way it can look as realistic with a Playmobil figure standing next to it as it would with say a Preiser figure. Philip's superb pictures are proof of this too. Just imagine if his Preiser figures were substituted for Playmobil ones - it wouldn't make them any worse, just less realistic.

This doesn't mean that a layout with Playmobil figures on it is any less worthwhile. Quite apart from anything else, rule 8 applies of course. As mentioned earlier, beauty is very much in the eyes of the be-holder. But there's no way that these guys;
781c6fa278aa4b47bec17c40bec1ee86.jpg

Can look as REALISTIC as these;
96f6a2ac871f4ff2882b363e642906e0.jpg

Problem is, of course, that the Preiser models have become VERY expensive of late. Personaly, I also find their choice of characters a bit odd at times - Pope, Fauns, Vampires etc.:rofl::rofl:

So if you're looking for realism AND value for money, I would recommend the Bachmann Scenecraft range. Not neccasarily as good as the best Preiser models, but much cheaper. Especially if you can take advantage of the sort of offer Back2Bay6 has at shows. These figures then work out at less than £3.00 each. And that's a Playmobil level price:D.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
yb281 said:
So if you're looking for realism AND value for money, I would recommend the Bachmann Scenecraft range. Not neccasarily as good as the best Preiser models, but much cheaper. Especially if you can take advantage of the sort of offer Back2Bay6 has at shows. These figures then work out at less than £3.00 each. And that's a Playmobil level price:D.

Sorry, meant to add this picture.

391a557f762042c4b2e9309748c36eb5.jpg

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Stainzmeister said:
My tip (with the exception of enthusiasts with children) was meant to be snobbish.

G scale should be taken as seriously as any other model railway - as per the superb modular models touring the shows this year. (The Harzquerbahn and the super French layout stand out as shining examples along with a few others).

Hi Hope someone has hijacked your login info Paul as I can't believe you would actually write this!! Statments like this are designed to be argumentative not "controversial" I would think we had enough of that at the other house.............................