CONNECTING MASSOTH PULSED SMOKE UNIT

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
Hi chaps,
Although there have been some useful threads before, Iam still confused.
I have the following:
LGB 2085 Mallet
Massoth XLS Sound Decoder
Massoth 19V Pulsed Smoke Unit.
The photos in the instruction manual are not clear so, in words of one syllable, which leads do I connect and where ?
Which leads are not required ?
What CVs do I need to programe ?
After 4 hours I am losing the plot and my hair, and probably my wife if I don't sort this soon !!

Help !!!

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
probably best to find a steep cliff and end it all while your still saine,,,

i really feel your pain,,, it hurts my brain,,, im rhyming again,,,,

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
Who says I am still sane......

Loco

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Vestfold
Best answers
Country flag
Red wire to +24V. Black to A1.
Program the CV for A1 voltage (see XLS manual for CV number) according to the value in table page 6 in the manual. You can do this first and check that you get 19V between +24V and A1 on the XLS decoder with a mulit-meter.

If the loco has a pulse generator: unhook the pulse plug from loco to XLS decoder and plug it in the smoke generator, plug the pulse output from the smoke generator in the XLS decoder.
Plug the SUSI connector from smoke generator in the bus interface on the XLS (picture 5 in the manual).

If the loco doesn't have a pulse generator you can use pulse simulation. See picture 4 in the manual. You need to program CV114=30 to activate the pulse simulation.

Edit: XLS manual page 33: A1 voltage is programmed in CV53. You can change the function button to turn on/off smoke by programming CV54. Function button 7 (F7) is by default assigned to the A1 output.

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
Getting there......you say "If the loco has a pulse generator"- I thought the pulse generator was within the Pulsed Smoke Unit, or am I barking up the wrong tree ?
As the loco is about 10 years old I presume there is no pulse unit in the loco.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
no a pulse gen is a magnet on a axle, that passes a senserure ..normally

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
I have done as you say but the smoke unit fan is on all the time (unless you press F7 to turn it off).

Any thoughts please ?

Loco

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Vestfold
Best answers
Country flag
The smoke generator seems to get no pulse information.

Do you have a pulse generator in the loco and if so did you hook it up as shown in illustration 5 (page 11), and also connected the bus interface (SUSI) also shown in this illustration?

If no pulse generator is available in the loco you have to connect the smoke generator according to illustration 4 (page 10). Please observe the notes about how to connect the pulse cable, you have to cut and isolate one wire and the two remaining wires go to pulse and GND respectively - you have to make sure you connect these two wires correct: the one labeled Takt at the Smoke generator goes to Takt (pulse) at A3 on the XLS, the one labeled GND on the smoke generator to the GND on the XLS decoder.
Then program CV 114 = 30 to activate pulse simulation from the XLS to the smoke generator.

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
Thanks, done that, but still no pulse.
Methinks there may be a fault with the smoke unit and/or cables.
I will try another one .

1 APRIL (no, not a joke)

New unit tried and success !!

Thank you to all of you who helped.
Now I'm ready for the next one.....