Concrete Viaduct from castings on Stoneycombe

A

Alec K

Don, we're men from opposite ends of the same glorious County! My late father was a CEGB engineer whose 'patch' stretched from Totnes west across the border to Indian Queens.

Wonderful pictures, you have provided...

Alec K

Granitechops

Narrow Gauge 1/12th scale on 45mm</br>Quarrying &
24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
Alec K said:
Don, we're men from opposite ends of the same glorious County! My late father was a CEGB engineer whose 'patch' stretched from Totnes west across the border to Indian Queens.

Wonderful pictures, you have provided...

Alec K

Alec, you just reminded me, had to do a job once on a electric turbine driven by a river somewhere near Dartington, that was probably on his patch, but probably a private enterprise I think, talking mid 60s now

A

Alec K

Don, I think you're right about the Dartington installation in that it wasn't a CEGB or SWEB plant. I do recall however visiting the Dartington area with him in the year he retired from 'The Board' as commissioning the then new 400kv Supergrid along that stretch was one of his responsibilities - conveniently near Dainton Tunnel and the old quarry at the Totnes end of the tunnel. I don't know whether you ever heard the rumour that the Royal Train had been stabled in the quarry siding there one night in WW2?

Alec K

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
Alec,

It would not come as a surprise to know the Royal Train had been stabled at Stoneycombe Quarry sidings.  It is known that the Royal Train was sometimes stabled on the surviving section of the Moretonhampstead Branch, outside Newton Abbot.  Remote and ideal for keeping undesirables away. :D

I gather that there are quite a few water driven turbines on the River Dart.  The famous Buckfast Abbey has one in the leat that runs through its land on it s way to the former wollen mill and the present day wool carpet factory.  They also have another, powered by an overshot wheel, which is fed from one of the Darts' small tributaries.

I expect to see you in Exeter Don.  ;)

Granitechops

Narrow Gauge 1/12th scale on 45mm</br>Quarrying &
24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
The Devonian said:
Alec,

It would not come as a surprise to know the Royal Train had been stabled at Stoneycombe Quarry sidings. It is known that the Royal Train was sometimes stabled on the surviving section of the Moretonhampstead Branch, outside Newton Abbot. Remote and ideal for keeping undesirables away. :D

I gather that there are quite a few water driven turbines on the River Dart. The famous Buckfast Abbey has one in the leat that runs through its land on it s way to the former wollen mill and the present day wool carpet factory. They also have another, powered by an overshot wheel, which is fed from one of the Darts' small tributaries.

I expect to see you in Exeter Don. ;)

Should be under the big screen Alan :D :clap: