Coaches for the Stirling Single

Fred2179G

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
So the b&w picture that showed 3 different coaches was NOT GNR? I thought the GNR was the only line that had the singles.
So if indeed that picture is indeed on the GNR, then you are telling me that there were Midland coaches used on the GNR?
Again I thought you stated that these 2 railroads were in dire competition and the Midland coaches were not on the GNR.
Confused.
Greg
GNR's Chief Engineer, Patrick Stirling, built these particular Singles. (But most railways had them in the late 1800s.)
Despite the competition (mostly for access to London, the Capital,) the MR and the GNR were also partners in some areas - in particular the "Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway".
Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway - Wikipedia
So the competition wasn't so "dire" (did I say that?)

Here's a nice teak coach labelled "Midland and Gt Northern". The various company's rolling stock got around the system, as freight cars do in the US.

M&GNR.jpg

[" Built in 1887 for the Great Northern Railway and transferred to the Midland & Great Northern Railway in 1903, this is a five compartment 3rd class 4-wheel carriage that spent 60 years as a bungalow following its withdrawal from service. Fully restored, it now forms part of the North Norfolk Railway's vintage train. "]

In addition, many railways shared "running rights" - much as Amtrak runs trains on CSX, etc., or as Canadian Pacific runs trains on certain US roads. So it would not be unusual for a M&GNJR train to Norwich from London to start on the GNR in London with a mix of GNR and MR coaches, and then it would branch off to the Norfolk area. It might even switch engines at some intermediate station. Or an express to York might be run with Midland and GNR coaches under the auspices of the Midland Railway timetable.

Not so confusing, and also not as simple as the US RRs.

Neil Robinson

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Your confusion is understandable and this post may well increase it!
Several other lines, including the Midland, had notable singles with one example preserved.
Take a look at this clip from 5.00 for almost one minute,

The Midland and the Great Northern were in competition for traffic from some areas of the country but actively co operated in others. Indeed the Midland's access to London for the last 35 or so miles was over Great Northern tracks for about ten years. However, understandably, the Great Northern prioritised its own trains so the Midland built their own line.

Edit, post composed whilst Fred was also posting! :)

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Your confusion is understandable and this post may well increase it!
Several other lines, including the Midland, had notable singles with one example preserved.
Take a look at this clip from 5.00 for almost one minute,

The Midland and the Great Northern were in competition for traffic from some areas of the country but actively co operated in others. Indeed the Midland's access to London for the last 35 or so miles was over Great Northern tracks for about ten years. However, understandably, the Great Northern prioritised its own trains so the Midland built their own line.

Edit, post composed whilst Fred was also posting! :)
Which is history in its self with the Settle -Carlisle line

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
So the b&w picture that showed 3 different coaches was NOT GNR? I thought the GNR was the only line that had the singles.

So if indeed that picture is indeed on the GNR, then you are telling me that there were Midland coaches used on the GNR?

Again I thought you stated that these 2 railroads were in dire competition and the Midland coaches were not on the GNR.

Confused.

Greg
Dates and lines can be confusing. It is a fact that originally the Midland accessed London via the GNR at Hitchin before the Midland Line London Extension was built to London St.Pancras. Also quite likely that Midlands Coaches got to places North of York but that would likely be by NE Trains. But then there would likely be workings around Peterborough and Doncaster of Midland Coaches. My view of that Single is that it is somewhere between Hitchin and Kings Cross with those Midland Coaches either attached or to be detached at Hitchin.