CNR Caboose Scratch Build

Carleroo

Registered
11 Apr 2020
Toronto
Best answers
Country flag
I just finished my first ever scratch built project, the Canadian National Railways Caboose. I constructed this from various parts left over from previous kits. I had done 14 Occre tram and train kits, plus a few ships, so I had a closet full of materials. I also sourced a number of items from various supplier and helpful train buffs, including a local dollhouse supply company.

I attempted to make this a 1:32 scale, but in the end it was not consistent. Some things are in scale, and some things too large or too small. The observation cupola is oversized as are the side windows, and some of the interior fixtures are way off. Notice how the Corn Flakes box is the size of a 5 gallon can! I used microscope glass for the windows, doors open and close as do the cupola windows and the toilet wall slides up and down for abetter view inside.IMG_4676.jpgIMG_4677.jpgIMG_4678.jpgIMG_4679.jpgIMG_4680.jpgIMG_4681.jpgIMG_4682.jpgIMG_4682.jpgIMG_4681.jpgIMG_4684.jpgIMG_4688.jpgIMG_4690.jpg

I also made the roof removable so I can add details inside. The fit is not perfect, unless I press and hold down the roof!

Despite this, I am quite pleased overall. I was able to source original drawings from a Canadian National archive and also took detailed photos of existing cabooses.

I have added some photos.

Attachments

• IMG_4694.jpg
    IMG_4694.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I just finished my first ever scratch built project, the Canadian National Railways Caboose. I constructed this from various parts left over from previous kits. I had done 14 Occre tram and train kits, plus a few ships, so I had a closet full of materials. I also sourced a number of items from various supplier and helpful train buffs, including a local dollhouse supply company.

I attempted to make this a 1:32 scale, but in the end it was not consistent. Some things are in scale, and some things too large or too small. The observation cupola is oversized as are the side windows, and some of the interior fixtures are way off. Notice how the Corn Flakes box is the size of a 5 gallon can! I used microscope glass for the windows, doors open and close as do the cupola windows and the toilet wall slides up and down for abetter view inside.View attachment 303711View attachment 303712View attachment 303714View attachment 303715View attachment 303716View attachment 303717View attachment 303718View attachment 303718View attachment 303717View attachment 303719View attachment 303720View attachment 303721

I also made the roof removable so I can add details inside. The fit is not perfect, unless I press and hold down the roof!

Despite this, I am quite pleased overall. I was able to source original drawings from a Canadian National archive and also took detailed photos of existing cabooses.

I have added some photos.
Nice build with great attention to detail. Holding down roofs can always be a bit tricky. My favoured method is to have a piece of material on the body and roof each end to the same roof profile, a couple of small screws each end or even pieces of L shaped wire can be screwed or pushed in to hold the roof in place.

Reactions: 1 user

Carleroo

Registered
11 Apr 2020
Toronto
Best answers
Country flag
Nice build with great attention to detail. Holding down roofs can always be a bit tricky. My favoured method is to have a piece of material on the body and roof each end to the same roof profile, a couple of small screws each end or even pieces of L shaped wire can be screwed or pushed in to hold the roof in place.
Thanks Dunnyrail. I like your idea of the L shaped wire. The roof is slightly warped which creates the problem. When I push down at the front of the roof, the back of the roof lifts off the body. But I think that the l-shape wire will be enough to keep it down at both ends. I just have to figure out where to install them. Thanks for the tip!

Fred Seider

Registered
29 Aug 2023
East PA
Best answers
Country flag
Wow! I am very impressed. Awesome work - seriously!