Climax won't move

Kkrahulec

Registered
11 Oct 2022
Arizona
Best answers
Country flag
I have a Bachmann Climax Large Scale.It worked fine last time run. I tried running it on a test track but it won't move.Both trucks are dead. I get sound and lights. Is there some sort of trouble shooting guide for the Climax? Interestingly one truck powered from the sound board and the other attached to the firebox PCB.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Just to nail the version of the loco you have, 1st generation, 2nd and 3rd with DCC fitted sound, could you post a picture ? Are you running it track power, DC or DCC, or even with battery ? Is the sound card one supplied originally with the loco by the manufacturer (fitted directly, with pins to the loco's main PCB) or an aftermarket one ? With this information we can possibly direct you to possible solutions to your problem and the correct wiriing diagrams for the loco. Max

Quick thought, are the switches, under the sand boxes, at the rear of the bunker, if fitted, set correctly for the mode of operation you are using. I am assuming here that you have the 3rd generation model fitted with a factory fitted sound card that can operate in both DC & DCC mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Kkrahulec

Registered
11 Oct 2022
Arizona
Best answers
Country flag
Max,
Thank you for the quick response. The engine in question is a #86094 Elk River #4 with factory installed sound. It is running on DC track current.

I think I have an inkling of what is wrong. After writing this post it occurred to me I have another Climax with sound. Brand new. #86097. I placed it on the same test track and the same thing happened or in this case didn’t happen. It does not move. All switches are in the correct position.

Thinking that is an extremely strange coincidence I got to thinking the problem is not in the locomotives. I got checking the controller which is a Bachmann which I believe is listed at 1 amp. Still should have made it move. Checked the power brick and it’s listed as 12v DC. Well that isn’t the proper brick at all. It should be AC.

The sad thing is I took it outside to my layout to test. The latest storm seems to have knocked out the power to my outdoor track. No voltage at all getting to the control. So that’s another issue.

It’s funny but that didn’t cause any difficulty with any of my 10 wheelers. Must be the electronics on board. I will locate a proper power brick and test again. I will post the result afterward.
Ken

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
1 amp DC not enough. AC is not right power supply, and all modern G scale is DC motors.

All that said, the loco should have done something if the sound was going. Did you find the switch in the firebox, and cycle it a few times (it connects to the motor)

Greg

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Just to clarify, when you say "ac" do you mean you are using a DCC control unit ? The power to the track with DCC is fed in AC form. The DCC card on the loco, will rectify that current to feed DC to the motors. Max

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Thinking that is an extremely strange coincidence I got to thinking the problem is not in the locomotives. I got checking the controller which is a Bachmann which I believe is listed at 1 amp. Still should have made it move. Checked the power brick and it’s listed as 12v DC. Well that isn’t the proper brick at all. It should be AC.
Just to clarify, when you say "ac" do you mean you are using a DCC control unit ? The power to the track with DCC is fed in AC form. The DCC card on the loco, will rectify that current to feed DC to the motors. Max
My assumption is the "power brick" is the transformer, which then feeds a controller, these are usually AC, with the DC converter in the controller.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe a more complete "inventory" and description of connections of what is attached to the rails would help us all.

I agree with Jimmy, "power brick" implies a power source only not a throttle.

controller usually implies the control electronics only not the power supply

"transformer" is usually assumed to be an all in one unit, but it's an old term not concise...

Greg

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
The older Bachmann '4-6-0' shipped with a 7va power pack which gives 1/2 amp at 14 volts,therefore a 1 amp power pack will run those locos all day!!