Cleaning track - BEFORE laying.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
All I can say is WOW!! that's going to be a heck of a fine railway!!

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
That's a nice looking retaining wall.

simon@mgr

Aviation, model engineering & all things technical
25 Oct 2009
Gold Coast, QLD, The Land Downunder
Best answers
Country flag
What you have done looks great!:clap:
Cleaning track before it goes down is a good idea.
Mind you in my case it was down for 3 years before trains ran again on the third incantation of the MGR.
Needless to say it took a while to clean before the first run, three sheets of 600 grit emery paper.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good Jon. I can see some excellent running this summer!

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
A very neat and tidy job your doing there. just goes to prove there arnt any set rules in G scale
well done some very nice ideas well executed :clap:
Tony

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Tony said:
A very neat and tidy job your doing there. just goes to prove there arnt any set rules in G scale
well done some very nice ideas well executed :clap:
Tony

Thanks Tony (and Mike, and everyone else who has commented); I wanted the ground-level perimeter track to give me a nice long continuous run, so I can sit and watch the trains go by - for more interesting operation, there will eventually be two other parts to the layout - a double circuit (probably R2 and R3) round the large slightly-raised bed that you can see in a couple of the photos (the area bordered by log-roll), which will connect to the outer loop via a point branching off the long run by the new wall - you can see the area of the block pavers that has been left for this spur - and also a small yard area to the side of the conservatory, joining via a point that branches off just before the curve into the passing loop. I'll try to take a couple of pics from upstairs in the house today, to show the whole main loop layout so far. The garden isn't huge (not by the standards of some of the folks on here, anyway!) but it's big enough to make for some interesting running, I hope.

Jon.

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
what a fine BEAUTIFUL layouts.lovely and neat one mate! loves that brick wall where the tracks go along it.awesome. so i ask u one thing to make sure if u use white pvc cable for the track? so why try waterproof black cable? in case

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I've run cable in the gravel to supply power to three locations around the loop, as a belt-and-braces backup to the track joins - I'm running digital, so don't need complex wiring. I used some heavy-gauge hi-fi speaker wire from Maplins; I'm hoping it will last well enough, since it's neither exposed to the elements nor actually buried in the earth - I laid it in the trench bottom on top of a little gravel, then filled up the rest on top of it. Armoured cable or other very heavy stuff seemed a bit of overkill. At the conservatory, the three cable sets are piped through a conduit under the block paving, then up and through the conservatory wall to connect to the central station unit which will live inside the conservatory. Outside, no wiring will be visible at all except where a couple of inches poke through the gravel to connect to the track feeds.

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
A few more photos as promised.... taken from first floor window at back of house, couldn't get the whole garden in one pic (it's a short but wide plot). Only a couple of days after the building work was finished, and already the grass is starting to sprout and recover in places - except the puppies keep trying to reduce it to a Somme-like state again every time they go outside!. The area with the big blue tarp over it is the raised bed I mentioned above, which will have track laid on it eventually. The yard will go down the left side of the conservatory, out of sight in the pics.

Weird.... pics didn't load this time - will try again....

626f3bbdcfc0432e9bb3cc7bf8c09e5e.jpg

e4104a17d9374b90ac8627eebcacf8a6.jpg

41ca53167c6a4189b5bf400c375b9e8f.jpg

Jon.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nice mate....

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
a lot off thought, and efort gone into this.. its looking good!!

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice and a few ideas to pinch . Only one comment the conservatory roof could do with a clean :D

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Steve said:
Very nice and a few ideas to pinch . Only one comment the conservatory roof could do with a clean :D

'Ere, it only got done a couple of years ago.... have to get the missus up there with the pressure washer again. ;)

Re the railway, you'd better wait until I actually know it works before you pinch ideas! :D

Jon.