Class A Climax Build

Shawn

Hiking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing
For a bout a year now I wanted to make an attemt at building my first engine. What did I want to build? At first I liked the Dunkirk engine but after seeing a few nice Class A Climax engines I decided this was the route I was going to take. It would fit nice into my layout and theme.

class-a.jpg

The above is basicaly what I was looking at but after reading a lot about the class A I learned that the Class A had different phases to them early and later. http://www.climaxlocomotives.com/history/

After reading up on the Class A I went through many pictures and learned that a lot of logging companies rebuilt the engines to fit their needs. (Fully enclosed cabs vs no cab.) That was perfect for my RR it allowed me to add my own twist to fit my theme. Below is a picture of what I plan on building.

vnpe2h.jpg

I started off with a Hartland flat car topped with cedar boards. The main frame was painted and weathered. I then took two Aristo center cab trucks and mounted them to the flat. I wired the trucks up and took it for a test run. So far works great. Next step is to start work on the boiler.

29ep1c4.jpg

Shawn

I made a little more progress yesterday and today. I got the boiler and smoke box together. I decided to go with PVC pipes much easier to work with. I also went with the T Boiler instead of my original plan. I thought the T looked better. I also attached the smoke stack and light to the boiler. Next I have to start working on the rivets (fun) Not sure what Im going to use but I lan on hitting the store today and see what I can find. Then I will start with the other details when my ozark order arrives. Still a lot to do.
24epb9t.jpg

28bcsd5.jpg

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Following this with great interest! Might want to build one myself. Nice start.

Mick

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Very interesting project Shawn looks great so far :clap:

Shawn

I got the rivets done for the most part. I might add a few more. I ended up using sewing pins with heads. I had to cut them down to make them short but once they were in the pipe it was easy to bend them inside so they stay in place. The rivets didnt come out too bad especially for someone with A.D.D. I only managed to break one drill bit and I only dropped one pin on the floor and of course my wifes foot found it. :( Next I have to sand and smooth out a few spots. Once my ozark order comes in I can start adding details and put a light coat of paint to see where I stand.
fyqf4.jpg

2nq4a54.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Nice job looking forward to more work on this as I rather like these beasties. With regard to the pin that herself managed to find for you, on this side of the pond it is normally them that drop the pins all over the place for us boys to find. Ouch.
JonD

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
A great job there Shawn, I'm looking forward to the next installment

Shawn

I got the flat car done and trucks mounted on. I think I made a good choice by making a flat from scratch. It just needs some detailing but that wont be until I get the cab done. I also got some detailing done on the fire box. I hate the look of the new wood. Cant wait to weather it. Next I start working on the engine and watertank.
2ez376c.jpg

2iv08w2.jpg

2moa3xi.jpg

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Intresting looking forward to more progress and pics of course .

Shawn

I made more progress on the climax. I added the sand dome pipes and the injector lines. I also got the water tank complete. just have to secure it to the flat. Next I have to start making the engine. I did change the injectors around since the picture, so they look more like the ones on my Big John. I also have to bend the pipes in spots.

2vwtzkg.jpg

71ia1x.jpg

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Were Climax frames wood? I was thinking that even the As used steel box frames?

Great work on the boiler, and do thank the Mrs. for finding the pin!

Shawn

Spule 4 said:

Thanks Garret. The early Class A's had the wood frames but the later ones switched to the steel as well as rectangle water tanks. They went through three phases over the years.

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
I'm following your build with great interest every day. It's looking great.

One suggestion - you really don't need two motor blocks. One will give you all the power a prototypical Climax could produce. Save the 2nd one and maybe make another Climax. Steel frame this time?

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Shawn said:
Spule 4 said:

Thanks Garret. The early Class A's had the wood frames but the later ones switched to the steel as well as rectangle water tanks. They went through three phases over the years.
Cool, learned something today.

The more I look at the boiler, the more impressed I am. Should be sharp with a coating of paint for sure.

Have you been in correspondence with Vic about the project? He sent me a bunch of stuff a while back on building one of these.

Shawn

Garret I have been getting a lot of great info from Mik. Vic didnt have any pictures of his build log left otherwise he would have. But he did post a picture of both climax engines he built.
Im almost ready to paint the boiler just have to bend the piping in a few spots and add a few more valves.

Greg I didnt think about that using one truck. I might have to give it a try. Then I can make one of the old style climax.

Shawn

I got the bulk of the steam engine complete or to the point I think it is presentable. LOL The only problem I ran into was the size. I made it it a little to long. Now I have very little space between the engine and the firebox. The question is do I leave it, do I shorten the boiler by a halg inch or so, or do I skip the engine and enclose that area so it wont even be noticable?
2rw6kj9.jpg

f2qyo4.jpg

imuekg.jpg

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Nice work Shawn really coming on a treat :clap:

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Shawn this is simply fab mate. Love what you are doin' , gives me great ideas, but I have got tons of ideas and not enough gumption to see them all through!
Between you , Richie and others I see on the forum, that use good old honest what is to hand modelllng, it is the way to go. It just looks superb!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag