David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Gernise End Station on the Claptowte Railway was in need of a goods loading dock and a cattle loading dock. I had a broad idea of the size and the look of these structures but was not sure about the materials I should use. The decision was made when I constructed a platform on which to place the stations yard crane. This was constructed using a carcase of 3.0mm plywood, reinforced using short lengths of square section strip wood. The top was made of 3.0mm thick plasticard sheet which was scribed and carved to represent stone slabs. The sides were clad with 1/24th scale embossed textured brick paper. I was very pleased with the results, so the die was cast when it came to building the loading docks. I started both docks in tandem as although they were slightly different shapes and dimensions, the construction methods and materials were the same up until the ‘fitting out’ of the tops.

The first pictures show the basic plywood carcase.

dig 201029003.JPG

dig 201029004.JPG

Next photos showed the ramp and steps attached. The steps are fabricated from plasticard sheet.

dig 201112005.JPG

dig 201112006.JPG

The top surface of the dock is formed from 3.0mm thick plasticard sheet scribed and carved to represent paving stones/tiles.

dig 201112007.JPG

The gullies were drilled out and the sides filed square. The holes were framed out with plasticard strips of appropriate size. The gulley tops were cut from expanded aluminium mesh as used to reinforce automobile repairs.

dig 201112008.JPG

Before the plasticard tops were glued on top of the plywood carcase, the areas below where the gullies are positioned were painted matt black. The plasticard tops were painted before being glued on, as were the treads of the steps. After gluing on the tops, the sides of the dock were covered with the same 1/24th scale embossed textured brick paper that I used on the platform for the yard crane. When this was done, the step treads were glued in place. That completed the basic structure.

dig 201117004.JPG

dig 201117005.JPG

dig 201117006.JPG

dig 201117007.JPG

I have added some wooden battens to the ramp to stop the beasties slipping and sliding when the slope is wet and slippery. The battens are cut from wooden coffee stirrers and stained with dilute black paint. The bolt heads are 1.0mm self adhesive pearl gems.

dig 201218001.JPG

The next task was the posts for the stock fencing. The posts are lengths of 10.0mm square strip wood purchased from eBay. A hole was drilled vertically into each base and a short length of wire rail was glued in to form a peg. A corresponding hole was drilled at the appropriate location in the decking into which the peg could be glued. Each post will support five rails. I made a jig from scrap plasticard to ensure that, when drilled, all holes were correctly spaced and that the rails would line up. Gate hinges where created from plastic tube and garden wire. The posts were then given a couple of coats of matt white. The posts here are not yet fixed, just posed for the photograph. Before fixing any posts/rails I also drilled two holes in the deck to take a pair of lamp posts, one in each cattle pen.

dig 201218002.JPG

dig 201218003.JPG

The stock rails were added from 1.6mm bronze brazing wire, also purchased from eBay, and the posts were glued in position at the same time. Handrails were also added to the steps at each end of the dock.

dig 201219003.JPG

dig 201219004.JPG

I then had to construct five pairs of gates. These were constructed from various tubes and strips of plasticard as well as rails and bolts from bronze wire. The vertical components are square plasticard tube. I again made a jig out of scrap plasticard to ensure that all of the drilled holes, for the rails, were in the right locations.

dig 201230004.JPG

A. The prepared component parts ready for gluing together.

B. An assembled gate

C. A completed pair of gates ready for painting.

Closed and open painted gates installed

dig 210101001.JPG

dig 210101002.JPG

An addition to the dock is a hose for washing down the pens and hosing out any cattle wagons after unloading. The hose is connected to a three way stand pipe with taps for filling of the two water troughs in the cattle pens. The hose is a length of green garden wire. The pipe stand is made from lengths of 2.5mm mains cable and is lagged with windings of narrow strips of masking tape. The taps and connectors are bits of wire insulation. The support for the standpipe and the crosspiece, to hold the hose, are strips of plasticard.

dig 210101003.JPG

David

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The two lamp posts are modified as detailed in the write up ‘Claptowte Railway – Platform Lamps’. You can click on the link below to see how they were made.
Claptowte Railway - Platform Lamps

dig 210101009.JPG

The lights in the posts are 3.0V LEDs and are powered by a switched 2 x AA cell battery pack mounted below the platform. The pack is held in place by a moveable arm to facilitate easy replacement of batteries.
dig 210101011.JPG

The finished structure, in common with other trackside installations on the Claptowte Railway, was liberally sprinkled with tufts of self adhesive 4mm static grass, although, taking no chances, each tuft was dipped in a drop of PVA glue. Given the presence of water from constant hosing and the abundance of animal fertiliser present, the cattle dock has the propensity to grow more grass than other structures on the railway, taking advantage of any cracks between the flags/tiles.

One of the pens has also been spread with fresh straw pending departure/arrival of livestock. As with the interiors of the cattle vans on the Claptowte railway, the straw is real wheat straw cut down to something approaching scale size. A real labour of love, but I feel it was worth the effort. The straw is held in place by spray photo mount adhesive.

dig 210101012.JPG

dig 210101014.JPG

dig 210101015.JPG

dig 210101007.JPG

dig 210101008.JPG

dig 210101019.JPG

dig 210101018.JPG

dig 210101020.JPG

dig 210101023.JPG

David

Reactions: 1 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Magnificent! Would it be churlish to ask if you are planning to make any RC walking cows for it?

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Magnificent! Would it be churlish to ask if you are planning to make any RC walking cows for it?
I think you are probably talking bullocks.

David

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Cracking build David,yes and the hose will come in useful I think?;):rofl::rofl:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The cattle dock has some fresh air in the garden, 18.4.2021

P4180006.JPG

David

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I've probably said it before, but that is seriously good modelling

Monifieth Stuart

Registered
21 Jan 2021
Monifieth, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
The Claptowte Railway is not for the outdoors. strictly indoors.

View attachment 289031

David
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery- I was so impressed that I have started a similar outside plastic version for horses I even purchased fine wire mesh for the drains but am now wondering if there would be drains like this. Would there not be a danger of animals putting their feet in any drain and tripping? i am not an expert on animal loading docks but just wondering!

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery- I was so impressed that I have started a similar outside plastic version for horses I even purchased fine wire mesh for the drains but am now wondering if there would be drains like this. Would there not be a danger of animals putting their feet in any drain and tripping? i am not an expert on animal loading docks but just wondering!
It's not an issue, I carved a 1/22.5 scale sheep's leg and hoof from a length of wooden kebab skewer and it does not go through the mesh.

David

Monifieth Stuart

Registered
21 Jan 2021
Monifieth, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
It's not an issue, I carved a 1/22.5 scale sheep's leg and hoof from a length of wooden kebab skewer and it does not go through the mesh.

David
My mesh is suitable to stop hooves going through (actually to keep out rodents) but I feel that if animals were milling around in real life they could trip in the drain. I understand that drains would be a good idea in an animal pen to keep the area clean but not if animals could damage themselves. I just don't know if they actually exist in this form.

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery- I was so impressed that I have started a similar outside plastic version for horses .
Yup. I've been cribbing David's work shamelessly :blush:, although I don't match the quality of his creations.
Working on a loading dock with crane platform right now, also to go outside -- at the rate I work :snooze:, probably next April/May.