David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I.P.Black, Coal Merchant of Gernies End on the Claptowte Railway, as well as dealing in coal, coke and logs, is also an agent for Calor Gas. I was therefore in need of some G Scale Calor Gas bottles. I searched the internet and found countless 3D printed examples of modern propane, butane and other gas bottles in all shapes and sizes, but nothing that fulfilled my requirements. What I was looking for was an example of the1950/60s style of Calor Gas bottle that I remember from my youth and countless Summers spent at my Grandparents caravan on the South Coast.

As a sufferer of glaucoma, I have been required to use two types of eyedrops on a daily basis. The bottles are similar but there is a slight size difference. It occurred to me that, with a bit of modification, the smaller of the two was pretty much the ideal size for a G Scale Calor Gas bottle.

dig 200910001.JPG

The first job was to peel off the self adhesive label then put a razor saw through the neck and discard the top. The saw cut is then squared off and cleaned up. Next an offcut of 2.0mm thick plasticard, trimmed to be roughly circular, is superglued over the cut hole. When set, the plasticard is then filed and sanded to produce the dome shaped top to the bottle.

The screw on cap of the Calor Gas bottle, which serves to protect the bottle valve and also a carrying handle, should ideally be cut from a piece of plastic rod. I had no solid rod of a suitable diameter so I glued a length of wooden kebab skewer inside a length of plastic tube. The end of this composite rod was then slightly rounded at the tip and a short length glued on the top of the dome. The carrying handle was formed from a length of thin plasticard. The finished bottle was given a coat of spray plastic primer and then painted.

I am frustrated to think of how many bottles I have thrown away over the years as I can only make one new Calor Gas bottle a month.

dig 200910002.JPG

dig 200910003.JPG

dig 200910004.JPG

David

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
David
Trish uses 'Snow tears' , the liquid comes in , what looks like a similar sized bottle, can you post the dimensions of the bottle, in its pre modelled form and I will check the snow tears bottles, if they are the same, you can have the empties, !
Dave

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I like it! I've been saving a bunch of pill bottles of various sizes to do something similar. I intend to turn them into radioactive material shipping casks. Having seen and dealt with many in my previous life the mod seems easy. Just need to add a couple of trunnions for lifting and four tie-down lugs to the body and a lifting lug on the lid. Then paint it "stainless steel".

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Medication appears to provide more than a few modelling possibilities, I have used eyedrops bottles as above, part of an inhaler case to make a scuttle for my coal weighing scales. As an aside, I have found that common paracetamol make wonderful contraceptives, I put one in my shoe and it makes me limp.

David

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Your imagination and ability to see uses for things I'd discard is amazing :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: