Circus Engine

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Ok I set my meter to 10A and hooked it up like you said. I tested 3 engines all from starter sets. One engine said ~.29 another said ~.33 and the problem circus one said ~.98. So I now have this information but I do not know what it means. Thanks
That the circus engine is definitely at fault, it's pulling 3 times more than the other 2, so it seems that something is causing the extra load. You've checked that there's no binding on the wheels, and rods, the gears are greased and in good condition, so it's probably the motor on its way out

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
That the circus engine is definitely at fault, it's pulling 3 times more than the other 2, so it seems that something is causing the extra load. You've checked that there's no binding on the wheels, and rods, the gears are greased and in good condition, so it's probably the motor on its way out
Agreed. However the motor may not be on the way out, its possible that the motor's commutator has excess carbon deposit. Either way the loco will need some dismantling to remove the motor so I suggest you clean and test the motor on its own. On its own the motor should show about 0.1 to 0.15 amps on your meter

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
New motor, likely.
before they die, they begin to draw more juice.

assuming the motor is not the old replaceable brush type,

something i have done to remove excess commutator gunk is to submerge the motor in 91% denatured alcohol, (meths) remove, run, repeat, . Shake out excess, use small shot of electronic contact cleaner. See if things improve.

also things may improve by cleaning , backs of wheels, tread area, skates, contact brush plungers.

fwiw, those old starter controlers can run 2 locos, as you know, but……eventually the combined load, w/o grade or cars, overheats the controller.

my other suggestion, get a 5 amp power source, minimal. It makes a big difference in performance.

Last edited:

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Ok I set my meter to 10A and hooked it up like you said. I tested 3 engines all from starter sets. One engine said ~.29 another said ~.33 and the problem circus one said ~.98. So I now have this information but I do not know what it means
Great job! Well, those are all ampere readings, so 0.33 is about 1/3rd of an amp. 0.98 is almost 1 amp. Your power supply is rated at 0.33A, or 1/3rd of an amp, like your 2 non-problem locos.

You can't get 0.98A out of a 0.33A power supply, so the loco goes really slow as it isn't getting enough amps. Note that the 0.33A power supply probably has a margin of oversupply, so it can probably produce 0.9A which will drive the same 2 non-problem locos or the one circus loco. But it clearly won't drive the circus loco and another at the same time as that would need 0.98A+0.33A= 1.31amps.

If the locos are all the identical type, even if one is painted Circus, then there is something wrong with it. But, as someone commented, there may be other factors - incandescent lights, smoke unit failure, or similar.

I am not an LGB loco expert so I can't tell you why it needs 3 times as much power as the other 2. I suggest you consult an expert LGB loco repair shop.

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Well when I cleaned the gears of the old grease one of the wheels may have lifted up and moved a cog, but I am not sure how to check or adjust for that. Thanks

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If you look side-on, then the wheels need to be in the same positions..
They are never 100% perfect, but even one tooth out, is enough to cause binding.
16504702065373141482144063807580.jpg
See the vertical line, moulded into the wheels?
Both are vertical, so all is good. - With the loco upside down, and the bottom of the block removed, you can gently lift one axle, and turn it slightly. Drop it back into the block, and see if you have gone the right way.

PhilP

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
New motor, likely.
before they die, they begin to draw more juice.

assuming the motor is not the old replaceable brush type,

something i have done to remove excess commutator gunk is to submerge the motor in 91% denatured alcohol, (meths) remove, run, repeat, . Shake out excess, use small shot of electronic contact cleaner. See if things improve.

also things may improve by cleaning , backs of wheels, tread area, skates, contact brush plungers.

fwiw, those old starter controlers can run 2 locos, as you know, but……eventually the combined load, w/o grade or cars, overheats the controller.

my other suggestion, get a 5 amp power source, minimal. Ot makes a big difference in performance.
Thanks My next thing to check is that the wheels are alligned, I may have lifted them up a bit when cleaning the old grease off. After that I will probably pull motor out and clean like you suggested.

Reactions: 1 user

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Phil I will check that out, did not realize it was that simple
If you look side-on, then the wheels need to be in the same positions..
They are never 100% perfect, but even one tooth out, is enough to cause binding.
View attachment 297528
See the vertical line, moulded into the wheels?
Both are vertical, so all is good. - With the loco upside down, and the bottom of the block removed, you can gently lift one axle, and turn it slightly. Drop it back into the block, and see if you have gone the right way.

PhilP
Great job! Well, those are all ampere readings, so 0.33 is about 1/3rd of an amp. 0.98 is almost 1 amp. Your power supply is rated at 0.33A, or 1/3rd of an amp, like your 2 non-problem locos.

You can't get 0.98A out of a 0.33A power supply, so the loco goes really slow as it isn't getting enough amps. Note that the 0.33A power supply probably has a margin of oversupply, so it can probably produce 0.9A which will drive the same 2 non-problem locos or the one circus loco. But it clearly won't drive the circus loco and another at the same time as that would need 0.98A+0.33A= 1.31amps.

If the locos are all the identical type, even if one is painted Circus, then there is something wrong with it. But, as someone commented, there may be other factors - incandescent lights, smoke unit failure, or similar.

I am not an LGB loco expert so I can't tell you why it needs 3 times as much power as the other 2. I suggest you consult an expert LGB loco repair shop.
Thanks for that explanation of the amperes.

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I checked the wheel alignment and it looked right on. I will have to take motor out and check it as suggested. Never did that before either, so hopefully not to hard. Learning lots though. Thanks to all for helping.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
.98 amps tells me the motor is bad. And the power unit is way to small to run more than one LGB single motor engine.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I checked the wheel alignment and it looked right on. I will have to take motor out and check it as suggested. Never did that before either, so hopefully not to hard. Learning lots though. Thanks to all for helping.
Well nows the time to get stuck in, you're not likely to make things worse!

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I got the motor out, but now I do not know how to test it with the meter, nor what the reading should be when I do test it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
you can measure the current again, but it's bad most likely. is there any binding the the rest of the rotating parts with the motor out?
All pieces are apart, wheels, side rods, so to late to check for that. Would like a diagram of how to power, and check the motor for amps used, and what that reading should be. Thanks

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
OK, so most likely you have bad brushes or a shorted winding.

use the low ohms scale on your meter and connect to the brushes. The motor probably has 5 commutator segments.... so SLOWLY turn the motor to a position and observe the resistance (again be on the ohms scale where you can read just a few ohms, under 100)... then rotate the motor a few more degrees and stop and see if you get a different reading.

What you are looking for is a position where the ohms are WAY lower or WAY higher.

If the loco ran smoothly, there probably is not a drive train issue (normally you might have it "catch" or slow down at the same rotational position of the driver, for example.

Hope this helps. (what happens is that the insulation in the windings in the motor fails and provides a partial short, the motor will still run but draw a lot more current).

Another possibility would be brushes very worn or damaged, but normally this draws LESS current, which is not your problem.

Greg

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
OK, so most likely you have bad brushes or a shorted winding.

use the low ohms scale on your meter and connect to the brushes. The motor probably has 5 commutator segments.... so SLOWLY turn the motor to a position and observe the resistance (again be on the ohms scale where you can read just a few ohms, under 100)... then rotate the motor a few more degrees and stop and see if you get a different reading.

What you are looking for is a position where the ohms are WAY lower or WAY higher.

If the loco ran smoothly, there probably is not a drive train issue (normally you might have it "catch" or slow down at the same rotational position of the driver, for example.

Hope this helps. (what happens is that the insulation in the windings in the motor fails and provides a partial short, the motor will still run but draw a lot more current).

Another possibility would be brushes very worn or damaged, but normally this draws LESS current, which is not your problem.

Greg
My meter may not be working properly, as when I set the ohms to 200 which is the lowest and touch probes together nothing happens. Same when I touched the two motor contacts. Has anyone opened up a motor like this to check inside? On ebay new ones go for 70-90 US, thats to much to put into this engine. I could see around 30 US. Maybe someone could suggest a more reasonable vendor. Thanks

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If you were previously measuring current.. You probably have one probe in the wrong socket, on your meter?

PhilP

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
If you were previously measuring current.. You probably have one probe in the wrong socket, on your meter?

PhilP
No I moved it.

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Can anyone suggest a place to buy these motors. Thanks