Choosing the right NCE set

Spencer E

Registered
26 Dec 2018
Cincinnati
Best answers
Country flag
Hi everyone, my name is Spencer and I am looking to convert my layout to DCC. I have been researching this for some time now and have settled on the NCE 10A wireless system. I stumbled across the system being sold at reindeerpass.com for $600 but the picture does not match the current one on NCE's website.

DCC & Sound NCE Power Pro 10R DCC Set

Is this an older system that combined the booster and command station in a single unit? Here is one for sale with a decoder for $780 at modeltrainstuff.com

NCE 524007 (PH-10R) Power House Pro 10 Amp Starter System with Radio

I do not mind paying the extra $180 if the current system is better and includes a decoder. I plan on using this with JMRI and would like the best wireless range possible. Does one system offer better compatibility with older LGB (I understand you can tap function keys to form serial commands)?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or recommendations on where to buy this system from a reputable source? Thank you for your help!

Spencer E

Registered
26 Dec 2018
Cincinnati
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Sean, thank you for your response. I am very familar with Gregs site and chose the NCE system largely based on his documentation. It appears only the 5A system had the integrated command station and booster witch was part of my original confusion and partly why asked the question in the first place. I ended up calling reindeerpass and they are going to verify what version it is.

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
as for Myself .. I just use the old stand by TE...
My buddy Dan ... is into Zimo . .( Greg is also) if I were to go DCC .. I would go Zimo..
Good luck with which ever you choose .. :)

Spencer E

Registered
26 Dec 2018
Cincinnati
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Sean, The Zimo system is without a doubt the ultimate system... I cant justify spending $3000 on a DCC system even if it does have 20A @24V. I run mostly older LGB and an MTH PS3 DCC Big Boy, so I dont think I could take full advantage of the system. I plan on having the command station connected to my computer at all times running JMRI or similar software to handle any smartphone integration and future automation. I think this will work well because my layout runs around the basement and will eventually expand outside. Who knows, I might change systems down the road like Greg did, Im only 27 after all :)

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Wow I didn't think you could spend $3000 on a DCC system even if you wanted to. That would take some justification.

It sounds like LGB serial command capability is quite important for you so make sure whatever you choose can handle that easily. Pressing F1 eight times to get F8 does not fit that bill IMO.

Spencer E

Registered
26 Dec 2018
Cincinnati
Best answers
Country flag
Serial commands are important but not a deal breaker. I would rarely want functions above 3 or 4 and would mostly use the whistle which appears to be 1. I am hoping I can use a macro with JMRI or other software to emulate pressing F1 X times and map it to the function keys on the ProCab or virtual keys on a smart phone running withrottle or similar software. Has anyone tried something similar to this before? Could I use the ProCab to operate the locomotives and use my phone to operate the sounds at the same time?

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
The Zimo systen in the USA can be ordered with a 8 amp or 20 amp power source. There is a new version coming out for less $$ and less current, my guess would be just 8 amps and a wired controller would cost less than the radio controller. So 3000 is a high figure. The 'reduced' cost system should be under $2000.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The picture on Reindeer Pass site is wrong, it is of the 5 amp system... but if you order the 10 amp system you will get the right one. I actually contacted them about a year ago to tell them the picture is wrong....they realized it, but I guess it's still not updated.

Greg