Chipping an LGB 24430 Zuos

ChipG

Registered
13 Sep 2010
Santa Barbara, California, USA
Best answers
I read Philbahn's comments from April 2010 regarding the 24430. I am about
to put in a sound decoder (Massoth XLS probably). I noted the 4 wires coming
from the block that were pointed out by Philbahn.
I would like to drive servos for uncouplers, so I will need to be
creative on the ports on the XLS or add a 8FL. I would like to tackle
the pantographs as well, but they appear to need 9.2 volts and a port.
I would like to make the installation such that one pantograph goes
up via a function key and concurrently the other goes down. And a way to have both down.
Any special techniques or suggestions on driving the pantographs?
How does that approach stack up with a Zimo that has both
5V and 10V servo support on the higher-end model?
Chip

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
The 4/4 III, direct decoder fitted, I used to have was able to control the pantographs separately on two different function buttons which gave the more realistic ability to raise just the one needed so they must be able to be powered separately. The in built chips don't do this on the 4/4 II's but you can set up auto reverse as standard then use, I think, F7 to change mode and have both down, you will get a bit of dancing pantographs though as you select or deselect it.
If you want realism I'd try for the option of controlling both individually though as you can then put one down as a train terminates, let the driver change ends, and then put up the other one.
Your idea and this would both use 2 F buttons. Sorry but I haven't investigated doing it yet.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Chip G, Zouz should have a plug in interface a cable is all thats needed.(10 wire) that should come with the chip

That should give you the pantograph variants that you are after, F2 up and down one end and f3 up and down the other end.

What system are you running ( Massoth ?)?
Regarding the uncoupling ,never tried it , but you should be able to operate a servo on one of the auxilary outputs
Hope this helps. PM if you need any more help

MartinB

Registered
25 Jun 2011
Best answers
If this is the model that was manufactured in around 2000 it will have the old 6 wire interface cable. I chipped this loco with a Zimo MX66 (long obsolete) around 2004 but haven't done too much with it since. If you are fitting a decoder than can emulate the serial pulse or a parallel pulse, the installation is the same and the F1 output needs to be connect to the orange cable on the interface cable. If the decoder isn't capable of of emulating the serial pulse, you will need to push F1 multiple times. If it is capable, you can use the F keys as normal with a very slight delay.

Martin

MartinB

Registered
25 Jun 2011
Best answers
http://www.beathis.ch/lgb/24430/244...tch the pantographs. It wasn't too difficult

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The XLS has the cpability to drive a single servo (with an additional 5v regulator circuit). I dont see why this output couldnt actually drive 2 physical servos (at the same time) or that one servo could control both uncouplers.

I plan to do similar on my DB218 - that is use the XLS to control uncouplers, just havnt got round to it yet.

MartinB

Registered
25 Jun 2011
Best answers

Loco

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Vestfold
Best answers
Country flag
Martin B:
Can you run the loco with parallel data transfer or serial only?
It looks like you are using a 6-pin plug + single wires hook up to the decoder.

- Loco -

MartinB

Registered
25 Jun 2011
Best answers
You are correct is it a standard LGB?Massoth plug hooked up to the decoder.

I run it with parallel using a Zimo system. Zimo decoders have or had a CV that translates the parallel signal into serial for LGB locos; wiring up F1 to the loco gives you all the usual functionality with a very small delay.

Pretty much all my locos have been fitted in this way unless the install required a full rewire, the only exception being a Ge 4/4 III where I fitted a Dietz sound module in the days before SUSI and sound decoders, I ran out of functions and so kept the pantographs on F1 and can operate them by pressing F1 3 or 4 times

Loco

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Vestfold
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting. I have a Ge 4/4 III with a 6-pin decoder interface and working pantographs. I think I will try to hook it up the way you have done it, using a Massoth XLS decoder. I see in the Massoth documentation that "Fast pulse string (P-update) on F1" can be programmed, this should do the same as your Zimo decoder.

The original plan was to replace the onboard print with a Massoth DCC onboard adapter and use a special panto-print to control the pantographs. I can always go this way if the above doesn't work.

- Loco

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The "Fast pulse string on F1" option translates the Function commands recieved by the decoder (in either serial or parrallel mode) into a sequence of pulses dependant upon the function number.

I would expect there to be no problems opperating the pantos etc using this method - without the need to rip out all the current electronics.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
If it is a modern board then the pantographs should work like mark says on the function buttons.
Some I have found to be on three pressed twice quickle some on five andsome on seven
From the champex sites copy of instruction book:=
Pantograph control with Multi-
Train System
If this model is equipped with
Multi-Train System Decoders,
both pantographs will rise automatically.
The pantographs then
can be lowered by remote control
using the loco function buttons on
the Loco Remote or Universal
Remote:
Button 2 - Raise/lower front pantograph
Button 3 - Raise/lower rear pantograph
If using the MTS Train Mouse,
push the loco function button the
respective number of times (e.g.,
for ?2 - front pantograph? push the
button twice).
CAUTION! If this model

Loco

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Vestfold
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback Mark and Philbahn. I searched the web for "Massoth fast pulse string" and came up with a post in the English speaking Massoth forum for a XL chip, where the contributor confirms that it works. Take a look at post #1:
http://massoth.gotdns.com/forumen/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=82

That is good news! I will definately try this first - more cost effective and simpler, and I will see if I can live with the delay. Is the delay only for the panto-movement, or will there be a delay for all functions?

- Loco -

MartinB

Registered
25 Jun 2011
Best answers
Here's the Massoth link to their manuals. It isn't clear to me whether you need to have had the P update (CV49). Please let us know how you get on, I'm interested to hear

http://www.massoth.com/dlbereich/down.php?kategorie=2&gruppe=7 < Link To http://www.massoth.com/dl...tegorie=2&gruppe=7

If you do decide to install the pantograph circuit, I seem to remember that Dietz do a pre-made version so you just need to plug in the pantograph leads.

Martin

Loco

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Vestfold
Best answers
Country flag
From the post at the Massoth forum, the P-update is only needed to trigger onboard sound. The pantographs work without the update

The note for the Fast Pulse String on F1 is that you have to activate Serial + Parallel Data Transfer when you want to use that function.

I will probably wait until after summer to chip the loco (the yellow Capito version), I have a Crocodile lined up first. This week-end I chipped the LanXess, very easy with the 10-pin plug interface, but no panto operation :(

One question though, do I need to turn off all the 8 DIP-switches? See the link to the instructions: http://www.gbdb.info/details.php?image_id=128&l=english
I have found a source for a panto-print somewhere else for EUR 27,-. Can't remember the address, will check and come back with information.

- Loco -

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Think the dip switches are the first 4 to off the second 4 affect the pantographs if my memory serves me right.
Drop an email to massoth they normally answer the same day
Loco said:
From the post at the Massoth forum, the P-update is only needed to trigger onboard sound. The pantographs work without the update

The note for the Fast Pulse String on F1 is that you have to activate Serial + Parallel Data Transfer when you want to use that function.

I will probably wait until after summer to chip the loco (the yellow Capito version), I have a Crocodile lined up first. This week-end I chipped the LanXess, very easy with the 10-pin plug interface.

One question though, do I need to turn off all the 8 DIP-switches? See the link to the instructions: http://www.gbdb.info/details.php?image_id=128&l=english
I have found a source for a panto-print somewhere else for EUR 27,-. Can't remember the address, will check and come back with information.

- Loco -

Loco

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Vestfold
Best answers
Country flag
I finally made the digital conversion of the LGB 25420 Capito with a Massoth XLS and LGB interface cable 55026. This works well with CV49=11 (Serial + Parallell Data Transfer on, Digital Load Control on, Fast Pulse String on F1 on). The XLS will handle all sounds and driving charachteristics, and the old print will handle the panto movement.

I have the panto sounds assigned to the function keys that control the panto movement, panto sound up on F2 (front panto) and panto sound down on F3 (rear panto).

The only downside is that F1, F2 and F3 has a slow response (=serial), all the other function keys have a quick response (=parallell). And that F2 and F3 panto movement can not be assigned to other function keys. This is not a problem for me and I am quite happy with this conversion.

Apart from the 55026 interface cable I used both sets of green, white, brown and yellow cables with pin connectors for front and rear motor. I dimmed the lights with CV50=5, but I think that is not necessary. I will find that out when I compare another loco.

All in all a straight forward conversion.

bunnyrabbit03

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Using the Zimo 695 might be the best option, really, if you are replacing the electronics - probably advisable anyway rather than relying on old electronics. You can connect the servos directly to the Zimo without the need for an external 5V regulator.