voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
I have a couple of the battery powered cheapy Chinese locos bought secondhand several years ago. I remember them working fine although understanding what the various buttons on the hand set did was a puzzle. I retrieved them from long term storage today and the 2-6-2 worked perfectly, short video put on today's topic in the Coffee Lounge. The TCE train doesn't want to play. One of the problems I had originally was that there were no instructions and the two hand sets were identical in looks. By trial and error I worked out what hand set went with each loco. Trying to determine what is wrong with the TCE I have checked batteries and can get the front light to come on and off. I have put power to the motor from a controller and that turns fine so that leaves the r/c bit in between. Unfortunately whilst removing the top from the bottom to gain access one of the wires to the front light has parted, it was very short and had no real movement. I have no idea if you have to redo something to allow the handset to talk to the board inside, maybe a combination of buttons? Were there any instructions originally? Should I abandon it? I'm loathe to do that as it's a bit of fun especially when I got the 'authentic' chuff chuff sound going. That always surprises people!!

Paul

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Paul, the steam loco has an off switch on the tank top - you slide one of the 'boxes' to activate. Is there something similar hidden on the TCE bodywork? If all else fails I think I've got a couple of the R/C transmitters in the garage which you are welcome to try.

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Paul, the steam loco has an off switch on the tank top - you slide one of the 'boxes' to activate. Is there something similar hidden on the TCE bodywork? If all else fails I think I've got a couple of the R/C transmitters in the garage which you are welcome to try.
Yes there is a small slider on the roof along with two small buttons, cannot remember what the buttons do.

Paul

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Yes there is a small slider on the roof along with two small buttons, cannot remember what the buttons do.

Paul
Just had a quick look in the garage Paul and all I've got in the way of instructions relates to the Harz 2-6-2 loco. They've got a frequency transfer button to allow 2 engines to be used with separate transmitters. Perhaps that's what those buttons are for. There should also be a continuous run (without r/c) button too.

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Just had a quick look in the garage Paul and all I've got in the way of instructions relates to the Harz 2-6-2 loco. They've got a frequency transfer button to allow 2 engines to be used with separate transmitters. Perhaps that's what those buttons are for. There should also be a continuous run (without r/c) button too.
Thanks for the reply. I did wonder if the handsets did more than one frequency as having got the 2-6-2 happily running round after a few pushes of various buttons I found I had previously labelled it as for the TCE. Maybe I've hit the wrong buttons and accidentally changed them both to the 2-6-2. I will experiment over the weekend. As the handsets are identical can you do a copy of the instructions you have as it might give me more of a clue.

Thanks

Paul

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. I did wonder if the handsets did more than one frequency as having got the 2-6-2 happily running round after a few pushes of various buttons I found I had previously labelled it as for the TCE. Maybe I've hit the wrong buttons and accidentally changed them both to the 2-6-2. I will experiment over the weekend. As the handsets are identical can you do a copy of the instructions you have as it might give me more of a clue.

Thanks

Paul
I'll scan them in the morning Paul. Will put them on this page in case anyone else might want them.

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry it's taken somewhat longer than planned boys. Family commitments (elderly parents) took priority.

Attachments

• NQ inst.jpg
    NQ inst.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1
  • NQ inst2.jpg
    NQ inst2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1
  • NQ inst3.jpg
    NQ inst3.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1
  • NQ inst4.jpg
    NQ inst4.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1

spoz

What do I do? What I'm told by SWMBO
27 Oct 2011
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Paul,

Some years ago I had one catch fire on me because of faulty wiring. If yours doesn’t work, check that the wiring is in good condition- and the problem with the light suggests it might not be.

Steve

Mike Whitcomb

Registered
16 Apr 2017
Stuart Fl, USA
Best answers
Country flag
20150510_161046.jpg
Did you ever get your TCE working? I have a few and might be able to help.