Cheyenne Steam Shops tour at Thanksgiving

Jerry Barnes

Garden Railways, Live Steam, Jukeboxes, Record Col
27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
We were in Cheyenne, Wyo with the grandkids for Thanksgiving. Was able to squeeze them in a tour of the Union Pacific steam shops on Sat morn. They had moved the rotary to the steam shop from the Roundhouse-where it was this summer when I toured. It was preped and ready to go out if needed. Kids had fun climbing on the trains and looking around. I got up on the rotary to see what the top looked like so I could finish my model of it.

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Looks like you and the family had a great dayout Jerry . Is the Big Boy 4004 based at the sheds in Cheyenne for public display ? Do you think that the UP will ever get one in steam :thinking:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
When I went to Colorado in 1994 I went up to Cheyenne just to see that Big Boy in the park and phot some Diesels on Big Butch freight Trains. I also saw the Big Boy in the museum at Denver and en route to there from Boston one in athe Railway Museum in St Louis I think it was. So 3 Big Boys on one holiday. I think that there are still a couple or so to bag.

So it was a nice memory jerker to see your pics. That Snow plow and the model that you are building are both really something.
JonD

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Thanks for sharing your day Jerry.

Jerry Barnes

Garden Railways, Live Steam, Jukeboxes, Record Col
27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks guys,
It was fun AND got away from my mother in law! The Big Boy 4004 is in the Holiday Park in Cheyenne, has a fence around it. I think there is one down in Texas and one in California. I think there is a list online someplace of where they are all at. I doubt you could run one anymore, the switches won't handle them, from what I've heard.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Jerry Barnes - 1/12/2009 12:33 PM

Thanks guys,
It was fun AND got away from my mother in law! The Big Boy 4004 is in the Holiday Park in Cheyenne, has a fence around it. I think there is one down in Texas and one in California. I think there is a list online someplace of where they are all at. I doubt you could run one anymore, the switches won't handle them, from what I've heard.

:bighug: 4023 is on display in Omaha, along with 6900, both cosmetically restored to a very high standard... and, across the carpark, and in the gardens, is a large garden railway. :clap: ...and all of the time, there is the sound of UP trains in the background.

supagav

USA standard gauge in the late 1960's, in 1:29th.
30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Great pics Jerry, thanks for sharing them :D

All the best,
Gavin

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
:wave: The Big Boy in Omaha NE, earlier this year. For size comparison, I'm 5'9".