Casting open wagon bodies in resin

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Spot on Rik! Great job!:clap::clap:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Marvellous!

Mick

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Thanks for taking the trouble Rik. Inspiring.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Nice work. Lovely finish to both the mould and your paintwork.:clap:

whizzo

Hi all , i am interested in L.G.B electric running
24 Oct 2009
Norfolk east anglia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Rik what a great video - thanks for sharing -iwould lkie to do some thing like that but dont have any hartland under frames etc -do you think it would be possible to cast the side frames in resin - and use bachmann wheels - or would the frames crack being made of resin ??? regards Dave

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Brilliant Rik. Reckon you could get the money you've spent on resin etc. back if you sold the sides to forum members?

Applicable to all gauges too? I'm thinking standard gauge wagon bodies here :D :thinking::thinking:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Way Hey :clap::clap::clap::clap:

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
whizzo said:
Hi Rik what a great video - thanks for sharing -iwould lkie to do some thing like that but dont have any hartland under frames etc -do you think it would be possible to cast the side frames in resin - and use bachmann wheels - or would the frames crack being made of resin ??? regards Dave

Thanks for the encouragement chaps - they're nowhere near perfect but they look good chugging around the garden.

Dave
Funny enough, I was considering making my own underframe sides and wagon bases (ie chassis). The Hartland chassis are OK but more US than UK in origin. I'd like to produce something which looks a little more prototypical for a UK based railway. I assume that if I slightly over-engineer the chassis sides (ie make them a but thicker than is prototypical) they would be OK. An alternative might be to add some iron filings to the mix instead of the Fillite powder. However, this is something I might need to investigate further. If I get anywhere I'll post it here.

Mel
Not sure they are good enough to sell on. I'd need to create some better moulds. Maybe if ever I get a bit cash-strapped as I totter into retirement, I'll consider it.

Rik

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Brilliant Rick well worth all your hard work :clap:

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
ge_rik said:
... I was considering making my own underframe sides and wagon bases (ie chassis).
... alternative might be to add some iron filings to the mix instead of the Fillite powder. However, this is something I might need to investigate further. If I get anywhere I'll post it here.

This is very much the basis of the Andell range, resin/iron wheels included.
They seem robust enough.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
ge_rik said:
I assume that if I slightly over-engineer the chassis sides (ie make them a but thicker than is prototypical) they would be OK. An alternative might be to add some iron filings to the mix instead of the Fillite powder. However, this is something I might need to investigate further.
Inspiring work Rik.
Another idea would be to mount the wheelsets in bearings inboard of dummy axleboxes rather like the standard LGB four wheelers but without the swiveling feature for shorter wheelbase wagons like yours. The bearing could be a single piece of flattened U shaped brass per axle, I say brass as it would probably have good free running characteristics with steel axles.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Neil Robinson said:
Another idea would be to mount the wheelsets in bearings inboard of dummy axleboxes rather like the standard LGB four wheelers but without the swiveling feature for shorter wheelbase wagons like yours. The bearing could be a single piece of flattened U shaped brass per axle, I say brass as it would probably have good free running characteristics with steel axles.

Good idea - thanks Neil

Rik

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
I use talc as a filler cos it's cheap and works well.

MR SPOCK

railways politics Human rights loud music
25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
cornwallrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
lots of really good info from everyone on this thread, like the talc idea and painting the moulds with resin to stop bubbles,
smashing waggons there as well Rik, look the bizz

DoctorM

Interests: Manifold
2 Jan 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the video. An excellent job - you make it look so easy!

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
DoctorM said:
Thanks for the video. An excellent job - you make it look so easy!

Actually, it is a lot easier than I thought it would be. Certainly, when compared with trying to make a dozen wagons from scratch. In effect, the most difficult bit is making the masters. But then, I only had to make one side and one end. Once the mould had been created, the most complicated bit was painting the finished bodies.

You'll notice from this picture that some of the early mouldings suffered from air bubbles forming in the detail for the bolt heads. I've almost, but not quite, eliminated this by painting the mould with resin before pouring, though I could do with some slower setting resin as it tends to start going off before I finish pouring. I'll make sure my next batch of resin has a longer 'pot-life'.

IMG_3162.JPG

Rik

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Rik - make a lottle resin without the filler and drop this into the detail parts of the mound. A quick tap on the table and the air should float up, out of the detail mould. Then pour the resin with filler on top - they will join fully.
As for shelf life - work in the cold. Temperature makes a huge difference to pot life.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
stockers said:
Hi Rik - make a lottle resin without the filler and drop this into the detail parts of the mound. A quick tap on the table and the air should float up, out of the detail mould. Then pour the resin with filler on top - they will join fully.
As for shelf life - work in the cold. Temperature makes a huge difference to pot life.
Thanks Alan
Yes, I found to my cost when taking some extra photos for the video that temperature is a significant factor. I'd accidentally stored the resin containers next to the radiator. When I mixed them, the resin went off while I was stirring it - pot life was down to under a minute!

Thanks for the suggestion about using resin without filler for the details. I'll give that a go with the next batch of mouldings.

Rik