14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Beddhist said:
Well, I'm just blown away how quick that went: ordered on 10th, shipped on 11th, arrived today (15th). It looks like the box was not opened by customs, but by Fedex:

[attachimg=1]

In the paperwork were 2 copies of a Lithium Battery Safety Document, which makes reference to 8 different ICAO/IATA packing instructions. It also states that the included batteries have a max. of 20 and 100 Wh per cell and battery and contain a max of 1 and 2 g of Lithium.

After all this and reading the charger manual in Chinglish I am starting to wonder whether I have bought the wrong thing. They are adamant that the batteries must be disconnected and removed from equipment while charging. Another thing I didn't know was that not only do you have to connect the balance leads, but the main leads as well. So much for installing a charging socket. The manual also says that the charger must not be used to charge batteries equipped with protection circuits. I guess I will now need two of those as well.

For the rail truck and Davenport this may work, but I will need a different solution for my Piko 204 Kamel, as you can't remove the body easily. But it's probably big enough to take a Pb battery.

In another life I worked for Aust Post in the customs section.
We opened the parcels for customs inspection and sealed them back up with tape that had "Repaired by Aust Post" on it, so FedEx most likely opened and sealed the parcel for customs.

Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
Charging lithium battery in the balance mode
This function is for balancing the voltage of LiPo battery cells while charging. In the balance mode, the battery needs to have a balance lead to connect to the individual balance port ... And you need to connect the battery's power lead to the output of the charger.

Even in Chinglish this sounds pretty clear to me. The batteries come without any instructions.

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Looks crystal clear.... but I just dont see why its needed. The main + &- leads come off the same place as the first + on the balance and the last - comes off the same cell as the - main lead.... Maybe I am wrong? the pic explains what I mean...

LiPoWiring.jpg

Beddhist

16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
I'm with you there. I suspect it has to do with the charge current and the thickness of wire and plugs. The charger is rated at 50W per channel, so a 2-cell battery could be charged at up to 7A. Perhaps it also has to do with the internal circuitry.

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Beddhist said:
I'm with you there. I suspect it has to do with the charge current and the thickness of wire and plugs. The charger is rated at 50W per channel, so a 2-cell battery could be charged at up to 7A. Perhaps it also has to do with the internal circuitry.
Beyond my expertise, I made up my own battery packs from 18650 cells and charge via the main leads, when I do a balance charge I just plug in the balance lead. I bought one of these; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RC-Helicopter-2s-6s-LED-LiPo-Battery-Voltage-Indicator-Checker-Tester-Monitor-/301203463390?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_Vehicles&hash=item4621201cde which gives cell voltages.... The Lipo I bought from HK charges the same way, maybe I'm sposed to have both leads connected.... I use the iMax B6 charger on "AUTO" and it seems to work.....

spoz

What do I do? What I'm told by SWMBO
27 Oct 2011
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Beddhist said:
For the rail truck and Davenport this may work, but I will need a different solution for my Piko 204 Kamel, as you can't remove the body easily. But it's probably big enough to take a Pb battery.

I used one of the blue battery packs that started off this discussion, which requires only a single 2.1mm plug to charge using the supplied charger. I agree with Trev, though, they seem to be vanishing from evil bay as compared with a couple of months ago. However, there is certainly plenty of room in the 204; I considered using NiMH AAs but given that 2200 maH or so is about the best you can get in reality I was concerned that the discharge rate might well be above .5C. So went with what was allegedly a 5000 maH version which I suspect is actually closer to 3000 maH......

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
ROSS said:
HERE is the how and why.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=balancing+lipo+batteries
No comment on us Colonials being able to have Lipos air freighted or are you skulking in the background plotting your revenge? If you are could you give us a bit of notice so we can get a decent supply of batteries in before they have to come on a slow boat from China?

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
New subject for endless speculation.
:happy:
http://www.iflscience.com/technology/upcoming-battery-will-charge-phones-and-electric-cars-minutes

(Don't hold your breath tho') they've been trying for years.......................

You're not thinking of the sentence beginning "Titanium dioxide is spherical......" by any chance? ;)

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
I've spent the last hour trying to turn the spheres into nanotubes....

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds like (Bucky) b*lls to me!

Not sure the arguments hold (salt) water!
:eek: ;) :D :happy: :happy:

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
I recon the new "super capacitor" powered trams will be good, the super capacitor is charged by inductors at stops.... Wonder what happens to anything else magnetic that stops over the inductors?

Beddhist

16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the pointer, Ross. Interesting reading on instructables.com. Found one interesting comment:

theprofessor

Protective circuit will likely be present on all lithium rechargeable packs you can buy whether it is mentioned or not. This is because all packs have to be tested to UN/DOT transportation standards for shipping. Batteries go thru a 50 cycle burn in then are subjected to
T1 – Altitude Simulation
T2 – Thermal Test
T3 – Vibration
T4 – Shock
T5 – External Short Circuit (
T6 – Impact
T7 – Overcharge
T8 – Forced Discharge

in addition to packs having to pass these tests, individual cells typically go thru all except T7 to be able to be shipped to battery assemblers.

How can I tell whether my Turnigy battery has an inbuilt circuit? I don't want to try deep discharging, as it will damage the battery. Turnigy's web site doesn't give any clues. I assumed that packs only have a protection circuit if they are marked as such. I do note that Hobbyking sell alarm circuits, but not cut-off circuits, as far as I can tell.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Oh nooooooo

Not the Blue Meanies!

:happy:

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Beddhist said:
Thanks for the pointer, Ross. Interesting reading on instructables.com. Found one interesting comment:

How can I tell whether my Turnigy battery has an inbuilt circuit? I don't want to try deep discharging, as it will damage the battery. Turnigy's web site doesn't give any clues. I assumed that packs only have a protection circuit if they are marked as such. I do note that Hobbyking sell alarm circuits, but not cut-off circuits, as far as I can tell.
Turnigy batteries do not have protection fitted as standard they advocate the use of an alarm plugged into the balance charge socket...How do I know this? I emailed Turnigy... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Cell-7-4V-3-Cell-11-1V-Lipo-Battery-Low-Voltage-Tester-Alarm-Indicator-BY-/200988737829?pt=AU_Home_Personal_Security&hash=item2ecbdcc125
Ther is a reason that there is no low voltageg cutout, these batteries are used in the main in aircraft...