Can I program a Massoth Switch Decoder 8156001 with a Sprog

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Is it possible to re-program a Massoth Switch decoder with a Sprog?
I want to re-allocate the addresses but don't want to wire it up to the Sprog in case I do something nasty to either or both of them.

If not I'll do it with the Universal Remote.

Rik

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Never tried it but I see no reason why not

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Like Phil says, no reason why not. Not sure if DecoderPro has a definition for it though (never looked).

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
sorry I don't use the Massoth Switch decoders so cannot comment from experience, but...
As has been mentioned, I don't think there's a decoder definition for the Massoth Switch decoder. However as the Massoth unit appears to be programmed using standard CV values you should be able to use the JMRI DecoderPro Service Mode programmer, manually select the NMRA "Raw CVs" decoder type, open a Comprehensive Programmer and then use the CV tab to enter values directly into the CVs. Try "read full sheet" first to load current settings, and don't forget you need some sort of load attached to the decoder to allow SPROG to read the responses. You'll have to read and follow the instructions in the Massoth manual as to what values to program to what CV - there's no "user-friendly" programming in this case!

Do you use Loco addresses or Accessory addresses to change points (according the manual the Massoth decoder can use either?) I'm only familiar with using Accessory addresses with my NCE switch decoders. Reason I ask is that I found that I needed to configure JMRI to use the SPROG "Command Station" connection (not the usual SPROG connection) to actually test operate my switch decoders after programming. Remember to change JMRI back to the normal SPROG connection afterward otherwise you'll be wondering why you cannot program locos with the Service Mode programmer any more!

littletone

Land Rover 101, Golf
25 Oct 2009
Sutton, Surrey, just south of London
Best answers
Country flag
ge_rik said:
Is it possible to re-program a Massoth Switch decoder with a Sprog?
I want to re-allocate the addresses but don't want to wire it up to the Sprog in case I do something nasty to either or both of them.

If not I'll do it with the Universal Remote.

Rik

YES. I have re-programed 7 massoth Switch decoder with a Sprog so far.
Open Decoder Pro, click on the TOOLS tab, then programmers, then single CV programmer.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that chaps. Now feel quite confident about re-programming the switch decoder - and also becoming more familiar with the Sprog. I browsed their website for more info and am amazed at what the Sprog and software seem capable of doing. I don't think I'm about to control the whole layout through the sprog, but it certainly looks capable

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
ntpntpntp said:
Do you use Loco addresses or Accessory addresses to change points (according the manual the Massoth decoder can use either?)

Nick
I'm going to stick with accessory addresses - one step at a time for me.

Rik

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
ge_rik said:
ntpntpntp said:
Do you use Loco addresses or Accessory addresses to change points (according the manual the Massoth decoder can use either?)

Nick
I'm going to stick with accessory addresses - one step at a time for me.

Rik
Much the best way - seems daft to me to use up loco addresses for point motors!

Littletone makes a good point about using the JMRI progammer tools and the single CV programmer if you just want to tweak one or two settings. I tend to forget that's also available.