Can firebox flicker be realistically added to an LGB Porter?

Lylat1an

Registered
8 Nov 2020
Graham, WA
Best answers
Country flag
I would like to add firebox flicker to an LGB Porter, but I've never seen an 8-ton prototype operating in person so I'm not sure what would look real.

The backhead appears to have a closed firebox, with two holes in the door for some reason. I imagine these should be filled in for a more realistic appearance?

Perhaps some kind of 'ground effect' would work to simulate light from the fire going down through the grates?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
If you google "firebox flicker circuit" you will find all kinds of ideas. How much you like the effect is purely subjective. How much effort you put into the appearance is up to you of course.

Have fun!

Lylat1an

Registered
8 Nov 2020
Graham, WA
Best answers
Country flag
If you google "firebox flicker circuit" you will find all kinds of ideas. How much you like the effect is purely subjective. How much effort you put into the appearance is up to you of course.

Have fun!

I found a decoder that has flicker as one of the lighting effect options, and I like how it looks on Youtube.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Most decoders support this function, the differences are how many leds are supported, and how realistic the random flicker rates are. If you are already adding a decoder, then get one with flicker. If you are not adding a DCC decoder, there are many inexpensive ways to support this, some very simple.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I install a 12 volt flickering yellow LED along with a red led tied to my Zimo decoder and program it for a gyro light.