Beer, G Gauge, Beer, Cricket, Beer.
14 Apr 2010
Fallbrook, California.
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

will a DCC chipped engine work on a basic DC layout?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

will a DCC chipped engine work on a basic DC layout?
Yes, with certain caveats:

1. It will require 5-6V on the track, before the electronics 'wakes-up'. - An analogue loco will move with 2-3V on the track.

2. It is possible to alter settings within the decoder to control what will work on DC power. - Even to the point of not doing anything.

Quite often smoke, and/or sound, may be disabled.

PhilP

Mike Bett

Beer, G Gauge, Beer, Cricket, Beer.
14 Apr 2010
Fallbrook, California.
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag

1. It will require 5-6V on the track, before the electronics 'wakes-up'. - An analogue loco will move with 2-3V on the track.

2. It is possible to alter settings within the decoder to control what will work on DC power. - Even to the point of not doing anything.

PhilP
Hi PhilP

I really should have said will a chipped loco run on an analogue set up?

Mike.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi PhilP

I really should have said will a chipped loco run on an analogue set up?

Mike.
Don't beat yourself up, DC, Analogue all the same thing. Most of us here understand both.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Which engine make and model did you have in mind. A factory DCC or a home converted ? Max

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I ran my MTS/DCC chipped LGB V52 for several years on Analogue/DC before I updated to digital, as I wanted sound and other features.

It is possible to disable running on DC on a chipped loco but it is rarely done....

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Some people deliberately disable DC running in the decoder if they use exclusively DCC, to prevent the possibility of "runaways" if the decoder encounters an interruption in the DCC signal due to dirty track etc. I've had NCE decoders which did that. There are a few older or cheaper decoders out there which don't have support for DC running but I've not come across one of those in many years.

Ideally the DC should be pure smooth variable voltage, as PWM controllers can confuse some decoders. Feedback controllers cannot read the motor back-EMF when it's behind a decoder, so they may over-compenstate and lead to poor running.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP
Interestingly, I recently replaced a failed Phoenix Sound 2K2 sound decoder in an LGB 20380 Streetcar that had a factory-installed onboard DCC decoder. The hobbyist only operates in DC analog power. The 3.6v. rechargeable battery was also dead. When testing the replacement 2K2 board without a battery, I found that the sound activated before the Streetcar started to move and therefore no battery was required for the sound board. I found the same issue with an LGB Mogul with a factory-installed DCC onboard decoder. After I installed an LGB 65001 American Steam Sound Module into the Mogul's tender, I had to experiment to find the right adjustments for the chuff sounds to be in sync with the Mogul's wheels revolutions.......the CV settings I normally use for analog Moguls did not work.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Most of my DCC locos will run on analog. I have some old (inexpensive, I paid 7 dollars each for brand new from the factory decoders) decoders that are DCC only with no sound capability. (these have 12 volt relays for direction control). My DC is the old Aristo 27 mhz units with linear power selected. For the Marklin decoders I turn off the Marklin protocol in CV50.

Big Trak

Registered
22 May 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry to thread jack, but is it possible to disable all the digital functions of a Marklin digital loco so it will only work on an Analog DC track? I’m using an old MTS 1 Serial Central Station and controller that doesn’t work with new Marklin decoders though I can run 1 Analog locomotive with the Central Station in Analog mode.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry to thread jack, but is it possible to disable all the digital functions of a Marklin digital loco so it will only work on an Analog DC track? I’m using an old MTS 1 Serial Central Station and controller that doesn’t work with new Marklin decoders though I can run 1 Analog locomotive with the Central Station in Analog mode.
No.
The decoder will detect the presence of the DCC waveform and will not recognise 'stretched' DCC as a valid signal.

PhilP

Reactions: 1 user

Big Trak

Registered
22 May 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
No.
The decoder will detect the presence of the DCC waveform and will not recognise 'stretched' DCC as a valid signal.

PhilP
Thanks for the info

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Why don't you just use a DC analog power supply to operate your LGB locomotive with the MSD3 mfx/dcc/dc decoder installed? It will detect the DC power and operate properly. In fact, most electrical engineers recommend not to use the DC analog feature in a DCC command station such as LGB MTS or Massoth to operate DC-equipped locomotives..........you'll hear a loud hum sound when you do and there's some negative impact on the motor (Note: Someone non-engineer hobbyists disagree and say it's not harmful but why risk reducing the life of your motor).