Calling all Bachmann 3 Truck Shay with Sound Experts!!!!!!

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I don't have a Tsunami-equiped Shay but before I bought my non-sound 3-truck-er I do remember reading a bit about problems with the sound shutting down over about 18V. One of the solutions was to fit series of diodes in the power feed to the decoder to reduce the voltage it sees compared to the actual track voltage.

Maybe try a google search on the subject?

For example http://bigtrainoperator.com/soapbox/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1596 < Link To Big Train Operator club thread about Shay sound

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Agree with all what has been said - the factory-equipped sound that comes with the Bachmann 3-Truck Shay does not like voltages of 18volts and shuts down when this happens.

I went the whole hog and had the innards of mine ripped out and replaced by a Massoth decoder and Pheonix sound system - expensive but well worth the effort.....

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
KentKeith said:
I went the whole hog and had the innards of mine ripped out and replaced by a Massoth decoder and Pheonix sound system - expensive but well worth the effort.....

Don't suppose you kept the original Tsunami board did you Keith?

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
ntpntpntp said:
KentKeith said:

Don't suppose you kept the original Tsunami board did you Keith?

Nick,

Think I've got it somewhere. Have sent you a PM.