Caboose on the same scale as the Chloe?

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I’m looking for a caboose to hide all my electronics in I use to run my sound. Ideally as cheap as possible since I will be cutting holes etc into it.

I previously bought a generic caboose from eBay but it’s massive compared to the Chloe. Can anyone suggest a caboose on the same scale?

I’m leaning more towards a caboose because their was one on the Grizzly Flats line rather than a closed wagon.

Reactions: 1 user

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
My guess is that you need a 3 ft gauge prototype caboose instead of the SG generic one.

Try looking for HLW wagons (now no longer made) or LGB Feldbahn stock....

Some information on HLW including a picture of Chloe with HLW tippers and a LGB 'caboose'....

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
Best answers
Country flag
I’m in the US and wouldn’t be able to comment about availability. Possibly a trash bin or yard sale. I believe these where given to me by a junk dealer a few years ago. They are marked made in China. Someone else may know more about them.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I’m looking for a caboose to hide all my electronics in I use to run my sound. Ideally as cheap as possible since I will be cutting holes etc into it.
The LGB 'gunpowder' (?) feldbahn wagon makes a great small caboose. The LGB 20140 loco is about the same size as Chloe. This rig is r/c with sound - the electronics are in the gondola and the speaker is in the cab.

20200131_115520-lgb040-riverbend.jpg

Here's another photo with a Chloe type loco from this thread:
Smaller wagons/trucks

104693_cc3086b003e7d2fcd2f272e694339b9e.jpg

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
Best answers
Country flag
I’m in the US and wouldn’t be able to comment about availability. Possibly a trash bin or yard sale. I believe these where given to me by a junk dealer a few years ago. They are marked made in China. Someone else may know more about them.
The postage would destroy the effort, otherwise I’d contently give them to you.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Looks great! Do you have any ideas where I could pick one up in the UK?
They have been available in UK, I did a review in Tom Coopers Mag donks ago after my Lady of the day bought me one for Xmas. They turn up at Boot Sales now and again for not a lot of money. Other option what about the Bachmann Li’l Big Haulers Caboose.

Last edited:

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
The LGB 'gunpowder' (?) feldbahn wagon makes a great small caboose.

Here's another photo with a Chloe type loco from this thread:
Smaller wagons/trucks

104693_cc3086b003e7d2fcd2f272e694339b9e.jpg

If you can get hold of a 40170 feldbahn open wagon you could remove the veranda and add it to the "caboose". They share the same chassis and the 40170 runs fine and without the veranda.

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve been curious about the size of a Bachman big hauler caboose. Is Li’l big hauler the same as big hauler. The yellow caboose here is a Lionel. I like the idea of the sliding side door for access. It’s my understanding the sliding door was outlawed due to being dangerous; it must have had a fun factor. I was hoping the LGB would be taller and longer; but they are roughly the same size. 5D72C2FE-7458-4F60-90AA-FB9F48E1EE71.jpeg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I think Smiths Railwaus of Sheringham had some similar a while ago

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Is Li’l big hauler the same as big hauler.
In a word - No. This is the Lil Big Hauler (photo from Kent Garden Railways, who claim to have one in stock.)

B98099-500x500.jpg

There are 2 'Big Hauler' cabooses - the 4-wheel logging caboose and the 8-wheel freight caboose. Both are larger/taller/wider than this one.

Reactions: 1 user

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Piko make an 8 wheeled caboose in 1:24 scale or thereabouts. Slightly smaller than a 8 wheeled LGB caboose.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
everything other than lgb FRR equipment is out of place with chloe or frr steam/diesel locos
best bet is hlw chassis to start...not that difficult to find

LGB feldbahn caboose or coach or “box car”;even a grizzly flats passenger gondola might be fitted with higher sides and a roof, hlw caboose, but will be a bit large. Most are more difficult to find in past few years. Possibly??? Something o scale fitted to a g feldbahn chassis?

you might try train li and see if you can get a body shell and spare roof

friday , update, i did find body shells and roofs at train li, started at page 33 or so of the LGB parts , i think the caboose style roof was a few pages earlier. btw , they had a olomano stack assembly. i think the top is the same as chloe.

good luck

Last edited:

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
everything other than lgb FRR equipment is out of place with chloe or frr steam/diesel locos
best bet is hlw chassis to start...not that difficult to find

LGB feldbahn caboose or coach or “box car”;even a grizzly flats passenger gondola might be fitted with higher sides and a roof, hlw caboose, but will be a bit large. Most are more difficult to find in past few years. Possibly??? Something o scale fitted to a g feldbahn chassis?

you might try train li and see if you can get a body shell and spare roof

ggod luck

I agree. Perhaps a Hartland flat car with small Bachmann wheels. If the OP is willing to do a build, a body made from icy pole sticks with some small dolls house window frames perhaps. You could end up with a charming little caboose complete with cupola. Painted red of course. :)

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have an LGB 'White Pass' caboose in red, as seen in post #10, but compared with 'Chloe' it is vast.

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
Best answers
Country flag
Yes the LGB bobber caboose is out of proportion for the Chloe. The drift came about from my personal quest for a caboose. I like the interior of my LGB drovers caboose, but the layout of the roof walk boards doesn’t fit the image I’m looking for. So the long US style was acquired; it’s too long for my taste, the interior was disappointingly sparse, but the wallboard height was right. Then came an Aristocraft; it’s the same height as the Lionel. Then the LGB bobber is basically the same size as the Lionel; it’s a half inch longer and with in 1/8” of width and height. I was fishing if Bachmann or Piko is the right height and 14-15” long. image.jpg
I’m wanting the boards even for jumping from car to car image.jpgshould have started a different thread instead of high jacking the Chloe compatibility.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
As 'Chloe' was a plantation loco, and a VERY small one at that - take a look at Ward Kimball's railroad on Yotube - you'll be very hard-pressed to find ANYTHING that might just fit in with it by way of a caboose - there were none that size.

I support trying to find one of these in UK -

1624031188236.png

It's already been mentioned that somebody has one for sale, right?

Or else it's a matter of adapting something that might fit the bill.