Cabling from MTS III to railway.

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all. Just connecting up a 50110 / 55006p to the great outdoors. Both are indoors. As well as the track power wiring there will be a separate ac supply to the outdoor point controls which will be going out through the wall using plastic conduit under paving. It only has to go about 4 metres. First question is, do I need to connect to heavy cabling for such a short length?
The second question relates to the handheld controller. Is there another way to connect it to the MTSIII so that I don't lose so much of the length ofIMG_20190505_191103.jpg cable it is fitted with. I don't think I have seen this mentioned anywhere. Maybe I am missing something obvious.
Trevor

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Logic suggests that heavy Cable is best for your Track Connections. But for the Points Control Normal Bell Type Wire will be adequate.

As for your Controller I believe that you are wanting to connect it to your Central Station but elongate the wire in some way. Hm tricky, I have pulled apart the wires on one of these in the past and it is very fine and almost (but not entirely) impossible to solder up to make longer. Also as there is no Colour Coding it is very easy to get the Wires mixed up. You may be able to lengthen the Wires by having a length pass through the wall from your Handset, cut and using these with a Length to join with.

BUT AS I said joining the Handset Cable is a dodgy process.

What may be better is to have a separate piece of Conduit with no cables in it through the wall to press just the Plug from the Handset through to then plug into your Central Station which hopefully be located just the other side of the wall indoors?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
You can use mains cable for the track, or something of a similar gauge.

I originally extended my Handset cable with a Cat 5 cable and an in line coupler, which I have at work.

https://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/70421re/coupler-rj45-cat6-in-line/dp/AV11885?st=cat 5 joiner

But eventually, I used the LGB 55050/55055 Wireless Transmitter/Receiver....

That was going to be my simplest suggestion, too.... an RJ45 extension cable (male/male) with a female/female coupler on the end - run the extension cable through your conduit, plug the inner end into your MTSIII CS, the coupler onto the other end as a receptacle for the plug on your handset cable. No soldering or making up of special cables needed, everything should just plug in.

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
For the power feeds, I used some heavy duty 2-core (stranded) speaker cable that I bought from Maplin (R.I.P....) - though others prefer to use solid-core mains cable - both seem to work just fine....

Jon.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
As others have said..
Feed your handset cable through first (more room when conduit empty). Use a coupler to connect another length of cable, if necessary.
For your points: Any reasonable size two-core cable will do. - Very little current will be used, and for a very short (no pun) time.
For your track-feed: Heaviest cable you can find/feed. - A single run, with no joints is best.

PhilP.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Just make sure that the extension/coupler cable does not swap any of the 4 center connections around.

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you all for maintaining the excellent support I now realise is the norm for this site. The appearance of a bit of banter is also a bonus. I like that.
Trevor

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Trev, I've found a spare Cat 5 joiner if you want it?

Just PM me your address and I'll post it to you FoC....

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Gizzy.
You are obviously a true gentleman. I will indeed accept your kind offer.
Please explain PM. Sorry but acronyms again. You only need to tell me once. Yes, I liked 'Hello, Hello'.
Trevor

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Gizzy.
Please explain PM. Sorry but acronyms again. You only need to tell me once. Yes, I liked 'Hello, Hello'.
Trevor

We still tend to call them "PMs" for "Private Message", which is what they always used to be known as - but since a few forum upgrades ago they are now known as "Conversations" (no, me neither....) and are accessed by clicking on the little square icon directly to the right of the small version of your avatar pic, at the top right of the forum window (just to the left of the "bell" icon).
They allow two (or more if desired) forum members to carry on a private discussion that is not visible to other members, which is of course useful for exchanging info like addresses, phone numbers etc that you REALLY don't want to post on the open forum.

PS: you can also start a "Conversation" by clicking on the avatar/member name of the person you wish to speak to, at the left of any post they have made, and then just clicking the "start conversation" button....

Jon.

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jon.
I sent the address on Conversations, but not sure if I sent it twice, one of which might have gone elsewhere.
Trevor

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Gizzy.
Trevor
Hullo Trev,

I got your PM so you've obviously worked out that PM is Private Message....