Cable

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
So where do people buy suitable cabling for internal loco wiring?

What spec / description should I be looking for?

I've just binned some rubbish bell-wire that kept snapping

image.gif

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
How often / much do you use? - 'cos that governs whether the answer is 5 metres of a few colours, or 100 metre reels..

But for most jobs:
7/0.2mm stranded will be fine..

I also have a reel of brown, and one of white, of 16/0.2mm. - Which I use for track power / battery on larger loco's.

I have tended to get 100m reels from Rapid, just for convenience really.

If you only need a few metres, of a few colours, then PM me..
PhilP.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Oh, another option is 'Alarm Cable' (from local Electrical Wholesalers) though IMHO it is a bit 'light' for large-scale use, and the insulation tends to 'creep' when you solder it..
Available in 6, 8, and (more rarely) 12 core / colours of insulation.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I go with Phillip. 7/0.2 or 16/0.2 from Rapid (depends on current). Available in at least 10 different colours. Alarm cable is a bit flimsy & breaks easily.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
If it's for occasional jobs, Rapid do some very handy little packs of 2m each of eleven different colours - get a pack or two and then you'll always be able to find a length of the right colour you need!
Rapid 11 x 2m Stranded Equipment Wire Pack
I use this for all my internal loco wiring jobs.
If you have a LOT to do, like Phil does, then you could splurge on a whole reel of each:
Rapid Equipment Wire 7/0.2 (11 Reels of 100m)

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If you have a LOT to do, like Phil does, then you could splurge on a whole reel of each:

Except I refuse point-blank to wire anything in pink!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Starting at the beginning, I would say to stick with stranded wire, you make a reference to "bell wire" which means light gauge solid.

It's too easy to nick the wire when stripping and the rigid solid wire tends to break connections more than stranded.

I like using as heavy a gauge as I can in general to keep voltage losses to a minimum, but within a loco, I would go with 18 gauge, still heavy enough for good current handling but small enough to fit most connectors. Use this for track pickups, motor leads, i.e. where you have the most current.

For lighting I'd drop back to 20 or 22.... LEDs surely won't need anything heavy, but sometimes incandescent lamps will need the larger gauge, especially if there are long wires and/or you have lower voltage to start with.

Greg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for your comments - I have been sent some supplies by PhilP of this parish, and am stocked up ready for the next project(s) >:)>:)>:)>:)>:)>:)

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
I have recently ordered 7/02 wire from 'Bits Box' a small variety of colours, any length you want and very quick return service, as was suggested by members of this forum
Dave

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
I've been using 20 and 40 core computer cable sourced from the Bank I worked in when the whole lot was upgraded in the 1980s. It served me well on N gauge, HO, O, Gauge 1 and T as well as my latest G ventures. It was pvc covered plated multi-strand stuff inside a braided sheath (presumably to guard against interference) with a plastic coating. Not very flexible until the last two were carefully removed. Once released it was brilliant and came in at least 20 different colours. Something like the multicore cabling for larger office internal phone systems.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I've been using 20 and 40 core computer cable sourced from the Bank I worked in when the whole lot was upgraded in the 1980s. It served me well on N gauge, HO, O, Gauge 1 and T as well as my latest G ventures. It was pvc covered plated multi-strand stuff inside a braided sheath (presumably to guard against interference) with a plastic coating. Not very flexible until the last two were carefully removed. Once released it was brilliant and came in at least 20 different colours. Something like the multicore cabling for larger office internal phone systems.
I haven't robbed any banks lately :mask::mask::mask::mask::mask: