Cable Identification

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
As I start to wire my layout up I am going to end up with a number of wires (especially being analogue). I am considering using some type of ring that goes on each end of the cable to identify it. What I am after is a suitable source to buy from but not in silly numbers! or an alternative idea - help ideas please.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Lots of ways of dong this..
BUT, as you want a few, rather than 100's, I would suggest you invest in a model label-printer. - The type with the laminated, coloured tape.
There is a version of this tape called 'flag tape', which is designed to go round a cable and stick to itself making a 'flag' on the cable.

Another idea is a write-on tape, which has a white section for your numbers/text, and then a clear section which wraps over the text to protect it.

You can then get coloured (resistor colour-code) sleeves, with the number also printed on.. You stretch these slightly, and slip them onto the cable. - Work better on larger cable sizes.

Finally, there is a system with a sleeve to go on the cable, and a second tube/sleeve, which you push letters/numbers into. Advantage is you can get these with tiny cable-sleeves, so they fit. The numbers/letters are all the same size, so are readable..
These tend to come in kits, and a starter-set would be quite an investment, perhaps?

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I just have a very long spare piece of wire which I connect to the source wire in the shed and a multi tester at the other end when I need to find what wire is what.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Any electric or electronic store will help with push on ferrules. You can buy them in useful tray type boxes

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
As I start to wire my layout up I am going to end up with a number of wires (especially being analogue). I am considering using some type of ring that goes on each end of the cable to identify it. What I am after is a suitable source to buy from but not in silly numbers! or an alternative idea - help ideas please.
A simple cheep and dirty method is to Strip some Mains Cable say an inch or two, cut into short 3-4 Mm Lengths then you have 3 Colours that you can create a Code with say Red Black Red sleeve, just slip the short bits iver each end if the wire. Red just Black just Earth and combinations. Important that you note the coding you have used! Oh and use the same combination at each end.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Of course, with the newer wire-colours, you can add Brown and Blue to the mix.. :nerd::)

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

For analogue I suggest using the standard red=+ve, black= -ve for power feeds, for signal wiring (eg point change commands use any colour combination perhaps blue and white) no need for labelling as the colours tell you the purpose.

For additional accessory wiring (Building lights) consider just buying multi core cable (rated for outdoor use or in conduit) and assigning each pair a task ie Red/Black track power, Blue/White point change, Yellow /Green building/ accessory lights.
This worked for me on my old analogue layout I used a 6 core wire similar to what is used in security systems (left over from doing installs), one cable running around the layout with colours tapped off where required.

If you are using something like aircraft wiring ie all white sheath and no coloured inners then labelling is going to be essential and could involve developing a wiring Config Diagram/Matrix but why would you do that to yourself?
KISS works here use colours and fault finding is simplified.
My 50c worth.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I use the Brother product, general purpose laminated labels, print twice with space in between, fold over on self.

powerstack.jpg

Greg,
That is one hell of a connector stack up what is its purpose?
Do you disconnect/isolate parts of the layout using the connectors?
Connect test equipment to fault find blocks?
Is there some advantage over using terminal strip?
Just curious that's all.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
For analogue I suggest using the standard red=+ve, black= -ve for power feeds, for signal wiring (eg point change commands use any colour combination perhaps blue and white) no need for labelling as the colours tell you the purpose.

For additional accessory wiring (Building lights) consider just buying multi core cable (rated for outdoor use or in conduit) and assigning each pair a task ie Red/Black track power, Blue/White point change, Yellow /Green building/ accessory lights.
This worked for me on my old analogue layout I used a 6 core wire similar to what is used in security systems (left over from doing installs), one cable running around the layout with colours tapped off where required.

If you are using something like aircraft wiring ie all white sheath and no coloured inners then labelling is going to be essential and could involve developing a wiring Config Diagram/Matrix but why would you do that to yourself?
KISS works here use colours and fault finding is simplified.
My 50c worth.
I am considering coloured cables, however with at least 3 rail feeds and multiple point feeds before I get to accessories, I need to identify cable runs, and as I get older remembering which is which may not be straight forward.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
or use bits of heat shrink.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
or use bits of heat shrink.

Useful Multipack of lengths of 11 different colours, also available in many different diameters.....

Shrinktek 11 Colour 3mm Heat Shrink Length 25cm

I've used short lengths of brown/white/yellow/green to label the ribbon cables in newer LGB wiring looms, which of course come in the very useful colour code of black-black-black-black..... :mad:

Jon.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Greg,
That is one hell of a connector stack up what is its purpose?
>>> Actually an old picture, of my NCE DCC system...
Do you disconnect/isolate parts of the layout using the connectors?
>>>> yes, each "power district" is fully insulated from the others, really helps finding weak joiners faster, plus can quickly configure parts for DC or DCC
Connect test equipment to fault find blocks?
>>>> well yes, but normally the only issue is a weak joiner... with 20 amps surge on tap, small shorts are vaporized, as well as electrocution of the errant frog.
Is there some advantage over using terminal strip?
>>>> the ease of connecting and disconnecting is first, also I have a RampMeter for measuring DCC voltage and current and it has banana jacks also...
RRMTR2_450b__87862.1429749430.500.500.jpg

Just curious that's all.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Depends on the size of the bird:giggle::giggle::giggle:

In Daffy Duck voice.... "What do you think I am, thome kind of pervert...?"

(Punch line to a very old joke, the whole of which is probably best not repeated here.). :devil:

Jon.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
In Daffy Duck voice.... "What do you think I am, thome kind of pervert...?"

(Punch line to a very old joke, the whole of which is probably best not repeated here.). :devil:

Jon.
Go on, you know you want to