stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Batteries in 30 odd locos - i think not. Then there is coach lighting, building lights - let alone the sounds in DCC

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
A set of batteries, and even a MLS card as well, will be cheaper than an XLS..

Each to their own..

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
well, speakers between the 2 methods is a wash.
so the sound decoders I buy are a maximum of $200. and that is top of the line sound.

So we use a term apples to oranges here. The MLS sound board is not of the caliber of an XLS, or QSI, Zimo, Massoth, ESU

Here in the US the MLS card is $80, so your battery, the receiver and a percentage of the transmitter cost and a percentage of a charger is under $200?

There's still not a huge gap.. of course to be fair should include a percentage of the DCC system, but then trying to be fair, you need a $200 sound card, so you are more expensive when comparing apples to apples.

Bottom line is usually 4 locos or under battery less expensive for the same quality level as DCC INCLUDING all the chargers, DCC systems, etc.

I have more than 4 locos and want to do things wireless cannot do, so my choice was easy.

I just don't see why people want to come into a track power thread and say "battery is better"... not helping the person that started the thread in 99.99% of the time.

Greg

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
well, speakers between the 2 methods is a wash.
so the sound decoders I buy are a maximum of $200. and that is top of the line sound.
I just don't see why people want to come into a track power thread and say "battery is better"... not helping the person that started the thread in 99.99% of the time.

Greg

I suppose people are just trying to say why have the hassle of dealing with the vagaries of track power when battery operation (to them) obviates the problems of conductivity.

I have eight items of motive power that are battery powered - but the other 30-odd items are track powered. For me, analogue is the rule. I couldn't afford - or even get my head around - DCC. I admire those who use and advocate that type of control but, equally, whince more than a little when I see the problems people are having with programming and the like.

Having experienced electric traction on the the streets of the UK (and owned two trolleybuses [trolleycars?] in preservation), DC is for me - simple - it either works or it doesn't!

In the end, whatever people advocate or promote, it's down to Rule Eight and "horses for courses".

Thread drift on this Forum is a way of life - Freedom of expression?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
an entire collection of different reasons...

conductivity is only one small piece of running trains... for every positive of batteries, i can give you a negative, so I ;have a hard time accepting the rationale that it's your duty to bring batteries to the heathens

there's a huge difference between thread drift and a complete 180 degree turn saying give up track power and go battery.... that's not drift... that's hijacking..

freedom of expression is something I agree with, but must every freedom of expression re-ignite the track power vs. battery war?

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
an entire collection of different reasons...

conductivity is only one small piece of running trains... for every positive of batteries, i can give you a negative, so I ;have a hard time accepting the rationale that it's your duty to bring batteries to the heathens

there's a huge difference between thread drift and a complete 180 degree turn saying give up track power and go battery.... that's not drift... that's hijacking..

freedom of expression is something I agree with, but must every freedom of expression re-ignite the track power vs. battery war?
Surely the advantages and disadvantages of which ever system you choose equal out in the end? This discussion could probably last 3 lifetimes and never be put to sleep.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
To continue the thread drift, currently I am analogue (or will be when I get some track down), I do plan to have some R/C live steam when finances permit, which may mean I move away from track powered to battery for other items. However, by the time I am in a position to move on I may have completely changed my mind and moved to DCC - who knows, the vagaries of human kind.

Reactions: 1 user