British Level crossing

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Has anybody ever found drawings etc. for British Level crossing gates, the large old wooden type not half drop down barriers. Decided I need to make some and would like to make them so they work, spent hours so far and not found any. Sad all the old gates around me have been replaced with horrible half barriers, so a trip to measure some not really possible at the moment.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Has anybody ever found drawings etc. for British Level crossing gates, the large old wooden type not half drop down barriers. Decided I need to make some and would like to make them so they work, spent hours so far and not found any. Sad all the old gates around me have been replaced with horrible half barriers, so a trip to measure some not really possible at the moment.
There's some near Newmarket, Dullingham I think, still operated by hand. There was a pair near Lakenheath but they were changed a couple of years ago.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I would go from photographs...

Use something like a nine-inch brick (in the photograph, obviously!) as a reference for scale.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Got a friend who's into OO? See if you can borrow a Hornby set and scale up.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Fully operating GWR level crossing gates on the Branch Line Demonstration Line, Didcot Railway Centre, Oxfordshire, 30.4.2016

dig 160430059.JPG

dig 160430059 - Copy.JPG

dig 160430060.JPG

dig 160430060 - Copy.JPG

David

Reactions: 3 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Very good..
Bricks on the signal box are a little small, but there is a 4' 81/2" clue in the foreground..
:giggle::giggle:

Reactions: 1 user

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Similar to eBay Mike's suggestion - do Dapol still do the ex-Airfix kit of the level crossing? If so, just buy one of them and scale everything from there.....

Just checked, and yes it is still made, just over a fiver - reckon that's probably a good investment, you can always pass it on to a OO friend afterwards!

Jon.

Reactions: 1 users

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
There's some near Newmarket, Dullingham I think, still operated by hand. There was a pair near Lakenheath but they were changed a couple of years ago.
Yep still hand operated when I saw them last year.

I could be persuaded to take photos as I live nearby in Cambridge. Pm me if you like?

I've also got some of the current Wolferton Station, although these are not quite as Rik's diagram, as they are modern copies. Wolferton was closed in '68 and is now a private residence, although the owner does encourage visitors....

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for all the reply's pics, images, drawing's and ideas, SWMBO reminded me of a set of gates that might still be in existence around here, there on a road / lane that never really got used much as the gate keeper used to take around 15 mins plus to get out his chair, walk towards you and stare at you fro 5 mins then open the gates :) going to go for a ride down the lane at the weekend to see if they are still there or if they have been replaced as well.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
37 (Small).jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I thought most of our level crossings looked like this

Level-crossing-1.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Longpockets

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Snodland, Nr. Maidstone, Kent.
Best answers
I believe the Kent and East Sussex Railway still have timber gates at Tenterden Town Station. Some kind soul on this forum may be in a position to provide timber sizes and gate heights or it may be worth contacting them direct to see if they can oblige. I hope I am right in thinking they still have them. Good luck.

They can be viewed on Google Street View but not full on.

Some images here -

http://www.isle-of-wight-fhs.co.uk/gallery/ak/images/level_crossing_newchurch_station.jpg

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/blackwater/

http://ukrailways1970tilltoday.me.uk/WhittleseaBRtwo.html

Last edited:

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
In the February edition of 'Garden Rail', there is an advert for 'North Pilton Works' which has a picture of level crossing gates under the heading of 'Lineside kits and accessories' . There web site is as above plus .com
Dave

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
North York Moors Railway have wooden gates at Grosmont still.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Living near Tenterden, I could go and measure the gates, but not a lot of point really. They are all knocked up on site and often vary in size of timber used based on whats available.
The link given above gives sizes and these look pretty good to me. Note that the top bar is shown as being tapered - not always the Tenterden ones are not.
Now, if you really want to get your hands dirty the Tenterden gates are rotten and will be being replaced this year! There are no drawings - its only a gate after all!
Further down the line are steel gates. Rolvenden used 4 inch box section, whilst Wittersham uses just 2.5 inch box but both built following traditional design..

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

Would this drawing do? Great Southern Railway (Ireland). I built a pair out of wood and steel (as per prototype) for my trailer layout.

crossing gates002.jpg

Crossing - train.JPG
The only thing I didn't do was to taper (to the clapping end - which is to the left on this pic.) the top and bottom rails!