Britain's Weirdest Railways

LTfan

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
If you enter "never-stop railway" (with the quotes) into Google you'll get 80 or so sites; some of them will show films of the N-S Railway.

David

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
LTfan said:
If you enter "never-stop railway" (with the quotes) into Google you'll get 80 or so sites; some of them will show films of the N-S Railway.

David

"never-stop railway"

David (LTFAN) many thanks for that, this following link gave me exactly what I was looking for. After you watcehd all the getter on and offers, the ride passed over exactly some of the locations that I remembered clambering over as a young one. It also gave a good idea of how the thing worked with the speed being faster when the coils were further apart and slower for stations when closer. It surprises me that this system has never cought on in the Modern Light Metro situation, probably the Technology has been forgotten after all these years. This is the link that I watched, you may need to download the latest Adobe Flash Viewer to watch it, but the Pathe Site promted and did all that for me:-

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=8750 < Link To http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=8750[/link < Link To

Enjoy.
JonD
Note for some unknown reason the full link does not appear to work, so suggest that you copy and paste it into you Browser Address Line if it does not.

GarryH

Registered
30 Oct 2009
Crowborough East Sussex
Best answers
Think I may have to look this book out.

If you are into weird try this one The George bennie railplane its worth a google.

I Like the model............... looks about G scale to me!
606082c9430b4962a3376ffc3a6ca318.jpg
6f29cd99c58d4a749a81bed0dcadb611.jpg

Some pics of the real prototype...........how much steel did that use????
2a47221375da48c38c5cac95d37e28c2.jpg
1a5690d20ab043a4ae2ab439d3c969cf.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I think that I have found another, this time in Portugal with a British railway financial venture. The Larmanjat Monorail Lines of which there were two actually built in Portugal. 1 around Lisbon the other called the Torres Vedras Lines. These both only lasted around 2 years or so before closing amidst Financial and farcical operating scandals. What were these lines, no you could not make this one up. They were soewhat similar to the Indian one I mentioned in my thread on the Patiala Steam tramway, but there were 2 outside sets of wheel running on WOODEN yes WOODEN planks. The locomotives looked to be fairly convetional in design, rather than the Indian Patiala Steam tramway ones. The creator of this appears to have been French. More on this can be found in W.J.K Davies 'Narrow gauge rails of portugal PP 264. A great read if you love NG Railways. ISBN 1 871980 35 6.
JonD

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that link John - the Pathe film gave some intertesting shots of the screw. I wonder how the screw was powered?

Mick