Bowande Black 5

jetomlin

Scratch building Bridges and Buildings.</br>Steame
24 Oct 2009
West End, Southampton
Best answers
I am thinking of buying a Black 5 from Bowande/WuHu.
the Gauge 1 folk have criticised a number of small cosmetic points.
Has anybody bought one and run it. I would value any information.
the only thing on YouTube is a run on a 'rolling' road.

BRStandard

Railways- large or small, preferably steam. Skiing
5 Jul 2011
Wadebridge
Best answers
I was hoping to read feedback on this one, for my own interest.
My suggestion would be to try G1MRA and see if any of their members have direct experience.
Because it is a very handsome looking model.

Nick

jetomlin

24 Oct 2009
West End, Southampton
Best answers
As I am a member of G1MRA, I posted a request for experience on the Black 5 from Bowande. Unfortuntely no valid information was posted. Although there were a lot of comments on this Black 5 ,they mainly were comparisons between a drawing and a photograph, not exactly what I wanted. Based on comparison with the 8F and questions posed directly to Bowande, I have decided to go ahead with the purchase. Most of the critique on the G1MRA website was re the cosmetics of the loco. As my intention is only to run on my own track, this is not my concern. I had originally ordered and Accucraft model but the delivery date has slipped further out!
At the approaching age of 80 , I want something to run now!

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Unfortunately that problem seems to be the same with most of the manufacturers. I've had stock on back order since Feb last year and not likely to be here before Sept! Great for the manufacturer as he has firm orders and doesn't have to speculate, but a 'sell out' for the consumer.

jetomlin

24 Oct 2009
West End, Southampton
Best answers
I will again attempt to add a couple of pictures of the as received Loco

35d75ebc99e2479f9fab88a8f487c3e5.jpg

Edit: Posting tidied up for you John

jetomlin

24 Oct 2009
West End, Southampton
Best answers
Apologies for the duplication finger trouble

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
jetomlin said:
Apologies for the duplication finger trouble

Nice looking model. Worth looking at four times.

mayflower

Registered
31 Oct 2011
Best answers
Any chance of pictures taken from another angle? cheers Rob

jetomlin

24 Oct 2009
West End, Southampton
Best answers
I have now run the loco for the first time! Initially there was a little trouble in maintaining a stable flame, but once that was achieved the loco ran readily around my garden track even taking into a account the curves and inclines.( sorry , no video!)
In order to have some control over the running, I will now have to install R/C; my track does not normally accommodate 'free' running

However, with what I have now experienced ,I am more than happy with my purchase.

E

Elmtree Line

Could we have some pictures and video outside??

The tender looks little oversized?

jetomlin

24 Oct 2009
West End, Southampton
Best answers
As I said in an earlier post; because of the curves and inclines on my track, I will post nothing further until I have had chance to install Radio control.
I will repeat what I said originally, I am not worried by minor cosmetic deviations.
, as i will be running the loco for my own pleasure as with my other G scale equipment!

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice John.

(I've tidied up the picture postings for you).

guterzug

Registered
25 Aug 2018
Roma
Best answers
Country flag
Hello everybody,
I'm new in this forum, I'd like to start a live steam adventure and so I'm searching for some information.
I'd like to buy a live steam loco and I was thinking of buying a Bowande Black 5; unfortunately there is little - almost nothing - about it online (this old thread is the only one I've found).
Can anybody gice me some suggestion about it? How does the loco work? is it woth buying it? does it have any minus?
thanks a lot for any help you can give me,
greetings from Italy
Alberto

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have now run the loco for the first time! Initially there was a little trouble in maintaining a stable flame, but once that was achieved the loco ran readily around my garden track even taking into a account the curves and inclines.( sorry , no video!)
In order to have some control over the running, I will now have to install R/C; my track does not normally accommodate 'free' running

However, with what I have now experienced ,I am more than happy with my purchase.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

guterzug

Registered
25 Aug 2018
Roma
Best answers
Country flag
Hello PhilP,
Thanks a lot for the fast reply. I will take a look there, but till now there is nothing I have found about it.
I have some questions that should be addressed just to someone who owns the loco.
Anyway, who knows, maybe there can be someone on the forum, let's hope for an answer!
Alberto

guterzug

Registered
25 Aug 2018
Roma
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Rhinochugger,
I have read the entire thread, the post you quoted was written very short after the purchase and gives just some impressions of the loco. I'd like to have some more details and pictures
Alberto