Bother, I seem to have bought another 3D printer...

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I'll need to work out how to share, as they are too big to be hosted on the site. I'll probably stick them on Dropbox with a link.

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
OK, I've posted a link in the Resources section. Could someone let me know if it works - and if you print any of the models, share some shots?

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Yes all works fine...

Capture.PNG

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
A slightly bigger thing I've been working on...

This is a G45 "Toby" LNER Y70 tram. Body is 3D printed on the FDM printer, detail including the windows (not shown) cow catcher, steps, cylinders and buffers printed on the resin and then a wooden roof made from 5mm x 1mm planking. This now needs assembling and final painting and sanding before being fitted to a little 4 wheel chassis from Ebay, along with an R/c receiver ESC and battery pack. I'll also add roof detail, hand rails, a bell etc.

Quite happy with it so far - and all for a total layout of about £80!

1610127611640.png

AndrewK

Registered
6 May 2019
West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
OK, I've posted a link in the Resources section. Could someone let me know if it works - and if you print any of the models, share some shots?

Hi. Well I've just run prints for both Natalie and Dave:

They were printed vertically using Cura, with supports, on my PLA printer. Although they don't seem anything like as smooth as with your resin printer, I think they're still very acceptable.

As expected, Natalie did need quite a bit of support with her 'overhangs', but thankfully it was only with her arms!

Dave also needed support with his arms and chin.

They are welcome additions to my layout and I'm very grateful to you for sharing them with us.

IMG_5029 .jpg

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag

They were printed vertically using Cura, with supports, on my PLA printer. Although they don't seem anything like as smooth as with your resin printer, I think they're still very acceptable.

As expected, Natalie did need quite a bit of support with her 'overhangs', but thankfully it was only with her arms!

They are welcome additions to my layout and I'm very grateful to you for sharing them with us.

View attachment 278758
They look fantastic!
Just to say, there are hundreds of similar figures on My Mini Factory and Thingiverse. Some are not that well categorised or labelled, but if you stumble across one, check out others from the same user. Printle on Thingiverse have hundreds to choose from!!

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
I printed 'Dave' at about 30* with support and the girl at about 45* with support, face up, mine are quite smooth, the backs needed a little bit of cleaning up but otherwise , very pleased.
Dave

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I'm very pleased to welcome a new member to the team.

This is Natalie and she was only too pleased to squeeze into some overalls and join the lads out on the track. They all assured her that they don't make her bum look big and that she's bringing some fantastic assets to the team...
Are you hollowing your Resin prints or printing Solid ? , I have always hollowed them for things like people, uses less resin and its also meant to help in other ways , but you end up with at least two holes to fill and they can be a pain in the neck sometimes to get the un-cured resin out of them :( beginning to think the hassle of it isn't worth the effort to save some resin :)

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Are you hollowing your Resin prints or printing Solid ? , I have always hollowed them for things like people, uses less resin and its also meant to help in other ways , but you end up with at least two holes to fill and they can be a pain in the neck sometimes to get the un-cured resin out of them :( beginning to think the hassle of it isn't worth the effort to save some resin :)
Yes, I print hollow, but print upside down and at an angle, so you don't get too much resin pooling inside. I don't bother to make a hole in them, so the resin inside will eventually harden.

I've only been at this a week or so, so I'm no expert, but I've done about 20 prints with only a few failures - mainly peeling due to insufficient support.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 278758
Just don't give her a handbag o_O

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag

Yes, I print hollow, but print upside down and at an angle, so you don't get too much resin pooling inside. I don't bother to make a hole in them, so the resin inside will eventually harden.

I've only been at this a week or so, so I'm no expert, but I've done about 20 prints with only a few failures - mainly peeling due to insufficient support.
OK thanks, I will carry on never not put at least one hole in, to drain the un-cured Resin at the lowest point in the print when its printing, Printing hollow also helps with the cross section area so helps to prevent failures as well, been using the resin printer for about a year now, so was just curious about solid or hollow never tried one solid.

Reactions: 1 user