Boot Lane Works Nancy

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Following the build with interest. It seems surprising the frames are acrylic if they can break by just being dropped. Sounds like a good idea to reinforce with brass, provided there's enough clearance for the back to backs.

Rik

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Ce

rtainly a metal chassis will be mire robust, can it fit inside the frames with a few mods? Then no issues about painting, brass is notoriously tricky to keep painted unless you used self etching primer.
Jon the frames are chemically blackened.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Following the build with interest. It seems surprising the frames are acrylic if they can break by just being dropped. Sounds like a good idea to reinforce with brass, provided there's enough clearance for the back to backs.

Rik
Yep, the penny has just dropped. I thought acrylic was meant to be like Lexan - virtually unbreakable.

So what material are they using at Boot Lane?

I have some thin acrylic (2 or 3 mm) and it's a B***** to break - you can't score and snap it like plasticard, you have to saw it.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You may be confusing acrylic, with polycarbonate?

The latter is used (amongst other things) for roofing panels and riot shields..

Acrylic is used in these models, because it can be laser-cut 'easily', and the by-products are less dangerous..

PhilP

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
You may be confusing acrylic, with polycarbonate?

The latter is used (amongst other things) for roofing panels and riot shields..

Acrylic is used in these models, because it can be laser-cut 'easily', and the by-products are less dangerous..

PhilP
I am, thank you.

That puts acrylic firmly in the perspex league, so no wonder Jimmy had a problem.

I'd be tempted to use the acyrilic frames as a pattern and make new ones from something more resilient.

Good lesson learnt - well done Jimmy for dropping them in the first place :nod::nod:

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
The chassis has now been assembled, with the brass side frames in addition to the acrylic supplied items. When initially assembled there was some binding due to the additional thickness, however increasing the width of the brass slots that take the wheel bushes meant that the bush top hat could sit against the acrylic and was enough to reduce the binding. However if I was to do this again I think I may be inclined to reduce the width of the frame spacers.
Lubricated and run at 60% for 15 minutes plus in each direction, and no warming of any interface area, so I am content there is no significant binding:

IMG_2028.jpeg

IMG_2029.jpeg

I did buy some stainless steel M2 X 10mm panhead screws to replace some of the original 8mm screws.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think I may have bought hex-head screws? - These 'giant' cross-head fixings, just annoy me!
:D:rolleyes:

PhilP

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I think I may have bought hex-head screws? - These 'giant' cross-head fixings, just annoy me!
:D:rolleyes:

PhilP
I painted mine, from a normal viewing distance, they look OK

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
The body has now been painted and reassembled, surprising how much harder it is to get the electrics in place when the clear acrylic sides have been painted, even with a few trail fits.

IMG_2071.jpeg

IMG_2072.jpeg

IMG_2073.jpegIMG_2074.jpeg

IMG_2075.jpeg

Some finer details to finish off, new nameplates, and decals, and some paint touch ups.

EDIT: After seeing the close ups, seems the cab roof needs a little fettling.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Beautifully done, Jim.
I'm intrigued as to you getting "the elections in place". A reference to Putin or Trump, maybe? I can't figure out what your predictive text or spell checker was fooled by

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Beautifully done, Jim.
I'm intrigued as to you getting "the elections in place". A reference to Putin or Trump, maybe? I can't figure out what your predictive text or spell checker was fooled by
Error corrected, dyslexia rules KO!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
A lovely model. The manufacturers of 3D printed locos are come on leap and bounds with their quality.