Latest 3D print attempt...

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I am not far into this game. But I have produced this with my little Adventurer 3, its my first take of a Chauldron (cauldren?) wagon.

The first picture shows the bits as printed. There are a number of mistakes that I have identified such as substitutution of solid pieces instead of holes (Tinkercad (tm)). Its a bit chunky but I was pleased in general with it.

The second picture is after some small amount of fettling and assembly. I binned the plastic wheels for an old IPE set and their flanges are a bit bigger and would prevent the doors opening!

The last picture is of the wagon with one coat of acrylic paint. For some reason I found it an absolute Bu££er to paint and it gave off a wierd smell. I have painted this filament before with no problem so I will have to investigate.

I can only conclude, at the moment, that I do not think it is practicable to print whole wagons in "large" scale, so I am looking for ways to do it little bits at a time......lots to think about. I would also say that it is far too light!

271715357_964032064497973_1911141118619609860_n.jpg

272052839_352141003416274_2122391792812071904_n.jpg

271798323_471137561288026_3169341491283999003_n.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I would spray it with a Halford's matt undercoat first. Black, grey, red (bauxite colour) or white if you must. Then you can get a good coat of your final finish, to my eyes what has happened here is that the paint has not taken. Perhaps the filament needs a wash before painting?

3d cad expert please explain.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi I use Grey Filament all the time also depends on filament type, I found this effects the weight of finished prints, PLA, PETG, etc. I spray with plastic grey primer first to seal the print and give a good base coat to work on and then use acrylics as required. All my wagons I print as a kit as you say its not realistic to imitate the way they would be injection molded using large parts.

With metal wheels and a minimum infill rate of around 50%, most so far have ended up a similar weight to there LGB / other counterparts, My passenger carriages are far heavier then their molded versions, not had to add lead weights yet but would if need be :)

3plank1.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks both for the points which I have noted. I was going to go out into the garage to spray some undercoat on it but it was freezing in there and SWMBO would take a dim view of me setting up a spray booth in the house so I decided to risk it. I will slap more paint on it today and see what I end up with.
Noted also is the increase in infil to 50%. I will try this. I have tried to print a wagon solebar with all the various w irons etc but it was a complete disaster. I have since printed everything seperately with much more success. I just thought with a really small thing like a Chauldron I might get away with doing it in three pieces. :)

BTW Sid, the quality of that wagon is now my target. Thanks for posting it!

Reactions: 1 users