justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Just like the title says, bold question.
Most of you know (i think), know that i am building my own track, as precise as possible as close as i can to the real life thing.
Dispite all the written info and explanations giving, i can not make a clear image in my head on how to build that.
The first two turnouts where a slight failure, but with every build there where some major improvements.
Number 5 must could be a success?
I saw some pictures scattered over the forum today, that give some help/food for my thoughts.
I have some trouble to find the right pictures taking from above from turnouts, crossings, slip double slip and what ever comes in mind.
Some pictures that are covering the whole turnout, crossing, slip and the rest, taking directly above.
Some close ups on the frogs (including some track) and points, taking directly above, could be very helpful for me to make my next experimental turnout.
Its just to give me some extra ideas for construction.
A close look on my n scale tracks just not give me the solution i need: 3d printing all the frogs including pockets to seat the rail in, that is something i really would like to avoid
20200609_113203.jpg
The yellow plastic are 5mm fillers, those are going to be 3mm
The approach of the frog is way to wide.
I am not really satisfied by this.

20200609_113150.jpg
Throw-bar and toes will get also a major upgrade, that one is clear.
Thanks in advance and for the trouble, best Igor

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
There is a lot of information out on the net on building turnouts, just not here on this forum.

you might investigate "fast tracks" Fast Tracks - Helping the World Build Better Railroads

google "scratch build turnouts model trains" .... TONS of information

My opinion is that your method to slot the ties and and use the slots to locate rails, and make the wing rails as you have is incompatible with your stated goal: " i am building my own track, as precise as possible as close as i can to the real life thing. "

Since your other goal is to do it as inexpensively as possible, I suggest you consider casting your own frogs, thus having the ability to keep those critical dimensions irrespective of the slots for the rest of the rails. And yes, you need to change your points philosophy, as discussed before.

That's my opinion....

Best of luck, Greg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
You're probably suffering from information overload!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I don't think that looking at pictures is going to solve your problem making frogs, getting the specifications is where I would start, but I've already said this and given the links.

You say you don't want to 3d print the frog, well, cast or printed that's your best choice, but I would not make the frogs from plastic that is not designed for UV resistance or heat.

Greg

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
You can definitely over think this, frogs aren't really that complicated. The most important thing is just to make sure they're consistent and in gauge. Here's a real world example of a very minimalist frog, in fact it is nothing more than a flat metal plate, without any flangeways at all. The two tracks on the left are standard gauge and 4 foot gauge (I think?), the one on the right is standard gauge only. Museum of transport and technology, Auckland.

IMG_8889small2.jpg

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
getting the specifications is where I would start, but I've already said this and given the links.
Yes, and i already repleted to that threat and thanked you for your work at your site: great job! was keeping me busy with learning and determent on some fixed and solid measurements/numbers, rule out what i dont want, my thoughts on that is: slightly following "your opinion" and going to follow aristo as mentioned earlier.
"our hobby providing everything, except...."
This thread is more for the frog.
As far for casting, it is very doable and can give a very good end result, problem is: i must make then a ~10-12 different casting molds.
I dont think i can get away with one fixed mold, make a adaptable mold, would loosen the tolerances aswel.
So printing (hard plastic, uv resistance) could be a option or welding/soldering.
Routing is not possible, the smallest cutter i could find was 4mm in dia=to big.
I am also planning to make a jig for the saw table to cut out the groves at the desired dept, that jig could be fixed in any angle, both sides.(alu cutting!)
Bending alu wont give me the satisfaction i want.
Regarding your remark about the slots in the ties: As long as it is experimental, i wont put in extra effort for those slots, the strait and curved pieces have way better slots,(2.1mm), inside the rail is 44.8 to 45.0mm on strait track, curves (from 2 meter to 3 meter radius) 45.0 to 45.2mm

My opinion is that your method to slot the ties and and use the slots to locate rails, and make the wing rails as you have is incompatible with your stated goal: " i am building my own track, as precise as possible as close as i can to the real life thing
I am still not satisfied with that end result, probably a lot more experiments will follow, before i have something that i like.
And the check rail!

You're probably suffering from information overload!
Thats why i want to narrow it down, probably my demands(incl how to make) are to demanding.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
You can definitely over think this, frogs aren't really that complicated. The most important thing is just to make sure they're consistent and in gauge. Here's a real world example of a very minimalist frog, in fact it is nothing more than a flat metal plate, without any flangeways at all. The two tracks on the left are standard gauge and 4 foot gauge (I think?), the one on the right is standard gauge only. Museum of transport and technology, Auckland.

View attachment 267945
How does that work? Obviously the Tram will be lead into direction by the flanged wheel on one side, but won't the other rise up, or is the plate below flange height, it looks almost level with the rails

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
How does that work? Obviously the Tram will be lead into direction by the flanged wheel on one side, but won't the other rise up, or is the plate below flange height, it looks almost level with the rails

That's pretty much it, all the guidance is provided by the running rail and the check rail on the opposite side. The plate is approximately level with the bottom of the flangeway, or just above. It probably makes a bit of a bump, but it is a very low speed area inside the depot.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It is very clever, and simple..
But then, tramway's tended to be??

I don't think you could get away with a solution like that on 'mainline' railways? :think:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 267945
Yes if could well be 4ft Gauge, apparently Wellington Trams are that.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
If the easy and cheap way does not give the desired results, then i must get a step up. :angel:
20200610_122255.jpg
It is made in foam pvc, not the best stuff, but it is trail and error: experimental!

20200610_145009.jpg

With aluminium it looks really good aldo i don't not have the proper tools for alu.
When i was making the slots for the strips it went pretty wrong as you can see.
Point of the frog had to be at 3 quarters and not half way also.
The pencil markings must be cut away.
A while ago i saw a cutter bit for in a standing/fixed drill, i will google for that(must be 2.5mm in dia)

So far i am ~pleased with the end result, but material wise i think i stick to hard wood or order some pvc or hdpe.
Most of the frogs will be flange baring, the minimum radius i want to have makes the gap just to big, i will stick to 2mm deep and 2,5mm wide.

So far, so good?? tips, hints, advice and thoughts is appreciated.

Last edited: