Imagination Station Kids

Imagination Station Kids On Track
22 Feb 2016
E. Helena, Montana
www.youtube.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi folks, :)20151022_210715-1.jpg
A group of local G scale kids got together to make a video for You Tube of a freight train with a military tank load on one car.
This video was a test in patients and tolerance as the kids learned that when you film a video, a host of catastrophic things can go wrong and force you to have re-record everything over and over again. This includes but isn't limited to, loads falling off cars, derailments, switches lined the wrong direction, losing cars, the camera not turned on in time or falling over and yes, even a couple collisions. There's nothing more comical than watching 6 kids try to record the same video of the same train all at once.
Yes, the train survived, barely.
But in the end the video was a success and this is the result!
Just wish we still had the humerus footage that they edited out!
Oh well, enjoy!
Ken, Imagination Station Kids On Track

Reactions: 4 users

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
`Nice long train running at a sensible speed -- well done the kids.

Imagination Station Kids

22 Feb 2016
E. Helena, Montana
www.youtube.com
Best answers
Country flag
I'm sure they'll appreciate a positive comment.
They are responsible kids most of the time. They teach other kids train operations at our events and they always do a great job.
The group of 4 boys and 2 girls work hard together as community volunteers for this program and we are very proud of them.
Thanks for the compliment!
If you re visit this post again we all would like to know if the photo of 4449 is your train and if so who is the manufacturer and what types of passenger cars are on it and how many?
Thanks again! Ken

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
`Nice long train running at a sensible speed -- well done the kids.
I second that, pity it was not thought about as the Outake Vid would have been a lot of fun and another good excersize in editing Together and uploading for them. Next time perhaps, if there is a next time!
JonD

Imagination Station Kids

22 Feb 2016
E. Helena, Montana
www.youtube.com
Best answers
Country flag
Jon,
That's actually not a bad idea. We should keep and post those videos and out takes. Not that we will encourage the kids to have train wrecks and other problems but if it happens, I think next time we will keep the footage and post that. The public might actually get a kick out of seeing model railroad video bloopers.
Great idea, wish we considered it before!
Thanks!
Ken

Reactions: 1 user

royale

26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
I'm sure they'll appreciate a positive comment.
They are responsible kids most of the time. They teach other kids train operations at our events and they always do a great job.
The group of 4 boys and 2 girls work hard together as community volunteers for this program and we are very proud of them.
Thanks for the compliment!
If you re visit this post again we all would like to know if the photo of 4449 is your train and if so who is the manufacturer and what types of passenger cars are on it and how many?
Thanks again! Ken

Hi Ken and kids - The Daylight (4449) is my 1 gauge MTH loco with Protosound 2 and is pulling a consist of 8 passenger cars, an observation car (all MTH) and a fully scratch built baggage car (MTH don't make one). Keep the quality vids coming, kids.
John

Imagination Station Kids

22 Feb 2016
E. Helena, Montana
www.youtube.com
Best answers
Country flag
That is so cool! Have you seen our MTH American Freedom Train video on You Tube? Also love to see some close ups of the baggage car. This is my 9 yr. old Joshua's request (and mine to) so maybe we can tackle building one for the freedom train. Be a great project for us all. Any information appreciated!
Here is the link to our video!
Thanks! Ken

Reactions: 1 users

royale

26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Hi Ken and kids - You can see my Daylight with my scratchbuilt baggage car and the rest of the consist running on a friend's railroad if you go onto Youtube and type in Railking Model Trains. GS4 Daylight scale 1:32

The baggage car - I checked out some photos on Southern Pacific's website and found a suitable car. I cut in half a Bachmann freight car chassis so I would be easily able to use Bachmann passenger car trucks. These trucks are very similar to the originals on SP's photos. For the chassis or underframe I used 3/8 inch thick perspex cut to the length and width of the car.which gave it plenty of weight and rigidity and superglued and screwed the two halve of the bachmann chassis to this.. The baggage car is shorter than the passenger cars by about 10 scale feet. The ends, sides and doors were made of 2mm thick perspex with handles and grab rails made from thick paper clips and left silver colored. Two led's are inside for lighting powered by a 9 volt battery. The car, chassis and underframe were all spray painted undercoat gray , then spray painted with appropriate colored car spray paint rattle cans. Fine silver lines were self-adhesive car trim details. The roof was made by bending card over plastic ribs glued to the inside of the car and the card then had a heavy cartridge paper glued over this with very thin paper ribs glued over this to show the different roof sections. Several scrap items were then glued to the roof to represent various vents, etc and to give a bit of visual interest and the roof was then sprayed matt black. I photocopied the sides of a passenger car and cut out the SP lettering in one piece and glued this to the sides of the baggage car. The whole car was then sprayed in Testors Dullcote. Hope that's of some help. John

Reactions: 1 user

Imagination Station Kids

22 Feb 2016
E. Helena, Montana
www.youtube.com
Best answers
Country flag
Wow!
That's a labor of love if I ever saw one.
I might just tackle a project like this in the summer.
Afraid if I tried it now at 15 below zero outside and16 degrees in the garage, the paint and glue would freeze.
But, seriously, I am going to try this since I have built some G scale equipment in the past. I would really like to have the entire freedom train including the display cars. Now that would be a project in any scale!
They are available for reference in HO and I think O scale, if accurately designed.
Now, because of this great information, I have more to go on for the baggage car.
I know they are in photos on the real Freedom train and in those photos they might even be a repaint using the original Daylight baggage cars.
Nice setup and I appreciate all the info. It'll come in handy!
Nice work!
Ken

royale

26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Sounds like you'll have to wait for the warmer weather. I lived in Saskatchewan for twelve years so I know very well what 40
below zero is like - couldn't cope with it now!
John

Imagination Station Kids

22 Feb 2016
E. Helena, Montana
www.youtube.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yea,
Not fun, but we won't be here forever because like you say, we won't be able to cope with it much longer either.
Must be much warmer where you are.
Thanks!
Ken