"Blumentritt" from the Philippines

blumentritt

Registered
6 Jan 2022
Philippines
Best answers
Country flag
Hello,

Just like to introduce myself. I was born and raised in Germany. As a little boy, every year, we would build our Fleischmann HO tracks around the Christmas tree. So for a couple of years that was my "model" train experience and exposure.

I left my parents home to study, first at a university in Germany, then in the UK. After a short stint back in Germany, I moved to the US for quite a number of years, only to finally end up in the Philippines, where I am now living for more than 20 years. No model railroading during this "dark period" of my life.

When we got our daughter some 15 years ago, I remembered my own early childhood and got a train set. In (now) family tradition, we would put it up every Christmas for maybe a month, on the floor, around the tree. Overtime, mainly when traveling abroad, we added little bits and pieces to the initial starter set. So at this point, we have a hodgepodge of G Scale items.

The 2022 New Years resolution is to finally build our permanent indoor layout in the attic. I just ordered some 24 tables from the largest IKEA in the entire world, which practically just opened here in the Philippines. These tables will be assembled in a U-shape around the wall to fit a dog bone layout. There will be three main areas:
- In the front room will be an extended leg of the "U". The topic of this area will be a "Bavarian" Christmas village. Not really to scale, a lot of snow, toys, etc. Fun.
- In the back room will be the core "U". On one side will be a time saver,
- On the other side possibly a turn table with engine house.
In the backroom, the theme throughout will be "Philippines, December 30, 1941".

Why December 30, 1941? Not only is December 30th Rizal Day, a public holiday in the Philippines, and has quite some significance for our family. December 30, 1941 was the day, General Douglas MacArthur, just before he left the Philippines saying "I shall return", ordered the Manila Railroad Company (MRC) to be destroyed so it would not fall into the hands of the invading Japanese forces. The Philippine railroad system never recuperated from that (literally) blow. Before that date, not only was MRC the leading railway company in South-East Asia. With Meralco, there was also a extensive tranvia system in and around Manila. And then, there were the logging companies and sugar mills, which would operate their respective private railway systems. So enough material for a model railroad.

Anyway, that's it for now.

Last edited:

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome - that's quite some global trek! Very much looking forward to seeing your progress.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum!

Sounds like fun?

PS We like pictures..
:)

PhilP

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Very interesting, but first welcome to the forum, where advice on planning, building and running your railway is widely available. We love photos, not just of the finished article but progress as well, so please post loads. Finally a word of warning, the humour, and "double entendre" can be dire :)

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Blumentritt!

I also use my attic "bonus room" as my space to run my trains. (I used to have a garden railroad that was controlled from a gazebo for adults in the center. As I have gotten older, I prefer to have air conditioning during the Texas summer.)

You will find that this is an excellent place for ideas and advice. Please keep us updated on your progress. AJ the Teacher

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Blumentritt, as stated in previous posts, lots of advice available on here, but beware of the jokes

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome - you are doing the right thing!