Blown Decoder

adamski

Registered
14 Jul 2016
kent
Best answers
Country flag
Good evening all

I was wondering if anyone knew if its possible to repair a massoth xls decoder sadly it got a short in the wiring and sent track voltage up the motor wire, its blown I guess the diodes? as the sound, lights power buffer all work perfect put zero control to motors. @ £205 for a new one I would like to see if it can be repaired ?

Cheers

Adam

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Kind of an ambiguous question, can it be repaired, most likely unless you have blown the microprocessor.

But who will you get to locate the failure and try to repair it?

So, from a practical point, if you have an electrical engineer friend, perhaps he/she can debug it. If not, you could try testing some of the individual components, but you have to know how, and maybe how to solder surface mount devices.

So not simple in most cases, not cookbook procedure to fix. more likely you blew one of the output transistors, since you say sound and lights work.

Greg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Good evening all

I was wondering if anyone knew if its possible to repair a massoth xls decoder sadly it got a short in the wiring and sent track voltage up the motor wire, its blown I guess the diodes? as the sound, lights power buffer all work perfect put zero control to motors. @ £205 for a new one I would like to see if it can be repaired ?

Cheers

Adam
Might be worth contacting Massoth detailing the issue, they may do a repair for you.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Massoth do repair their items..
It will obviously mean it going back to Germany.

Check the website for contact details, and the current procedure.
Do not just send it 'on spec.' as this will delay the repair.

If the lights and sound are still functioning, it does sound like it may only be the motor output stage, that is damaged.

PhilP

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Good evening all

Cheers

Adam
There's a Return Form to Massoth for repairs or warranty support.......see attached. For warranty support, the decoder must have been purchased within the last 12 months, and you must include the purchase receipt with the shipment to Massoth and they will repair it no cost, or replace it. If over 12 months, you will be charged for the repairs; you also will need to pay for the return postage for both services. The shipping costs from Germany to the USA for a small package of one or several decoders is about 35 euros.

Massoth Warranty Form.jpg

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I was wondering if anyone knew if its possible to repair a massoth xls decoder
Massoth can certainly repair it for you. You'll need to send it to Germany, but it is the best option in the vast majority of cases..