Blanket Weed

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
As many of you will know a few months ago I have created a small water feature in Tumble Down Falls, consisting of a small pool, waterfall and stream. My issue is blanket weed growth, initially I pulled it out, but as expected it just continued to grow, so I bought some "wildlife friendly" blanket weed specific "control", having followed the instructions over the last two months I find that this has not really helped, it hasn't even stemmed the growth. So I am after recommendations to add to my feature to kill of the weed, though something that will not leave the water permanently damaging to animal life.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Thereare certain breeds of fish that'll eat blanket weed.

I goggled this....

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
As many of you will know a few months ago I have created a small water feature in Tumble Down Falls, consisting of a small pool, waterfall and stream. My issue is blanket weed growth, initially I pulled it out, but as expected it just continued to grow, so I bought some "wildlife friendly" blanket weed specific "control", having followed the instructions over the last two months I find that this has not really helped, it hasn't even stemmed the growth. So I am after recommendations to add to my feature to kill of the weed, though something that will not leave the water permanently damaging to animal life.
This isn't anything to do with you lying in bed on Mondays and Fridays is it ? :emo: :emo:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Blanket weed is a real pain, predominantly cause by sunlight. Lillies and shaded area to a pond will cut it down a lot. But knowing your line I am not sure that those solutions will help a lot and I suspect you are also getting quite a bit on the water falls? Try some lilies in the main pond and just live with it on the waterfall, removing any in the pond with a length of bamboo pole.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Get a couple of ducks?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
So, nothing to do with late mornings on a Monday and Friday, the fish solution would be the best, but the water feature isn't really big enough to sustain fish and certainly not duck. Currently a pole (big stick before an east European jokes) is what I have found most effective, a water additive that works would be the best solution.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
So, nothing to do with late mornings on a Monday and Friday, the fish solution would be the best, but the water feature isn't really big enough to sustain fish and certainly not duck. Currently a pole (big stick before an east European jokes) is what I have found most effective, a water additive that works would be the best solution.
Water additives are good and eco-friendly, the best thing though is a pump/UV light/filter recycling setup, higher outlay but it definitely does work. Ducks don't eat this kind of algae and for heavens sakes do not put grass carp in there! Go on, ask how I know :oops:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, got it. So this thread is not actually about a blanket that got weed on. I was going to suggest a 40C wash with extra fabric conditioner.

David

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Water additives are good and eco-friendly, the best thing though is a pump/UV light/filter recycling setup, higher outlay but it definitely does work. Ducks don't eat this kind of algae and for heavens sakes do not put grass carp in there! Go on, ask how I know :oops:
Yes, trying to think where we had to use UV filters on water :think::think:

Ah yes, office fresh water drinking machines :nerd::nerd:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Oh forgot another option, some kind of I think Barley Straw is supposed to work. Sundry additives and UV did not work on the Ruschbahn, but as you can see it was a big pond.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, got all that paid a lot for the pump filter and UV, but does not stop blanket week growth is the stream flow, only water born algae.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Look on the bright side, it does show your pond is healthy, plenty of creatures love it so don't despair

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Oh forgot another option, some kind of I think Barley Straw is supposed to work. Sundry additives and UV did not work on the Ruschbahn, but as you can see it was a big pond.
Err, mine was 6m x 5m x 1.8m I think that counts as pretty big. Put big railings around to stop herons and cretins getting in ( the herons failed but 2 cretins managed it, I had to get the keys to drag them out as the pond liner was too slippery). Two pumps, one relatively small one for the stream and one huge one (€300) for the filter. The UV lamps had to be replaced every couple of years. The whole lot was so big it had to made especially and even the liner at 1.5mm thick was more than usual and took two guys to carry in draped over a wheelie bin! All the stuff came from Oase, really good quality and service!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Err, mine was 6m x 5m x 1.8m I think that counts as pretty big. Put big railings around to stop herons and cretins getting in ( the herons failed but 2 cretins managed it, I had to get the keys to drag them out as the pond liner was too slippery). Two pumps, one relatively small one for the stream and one huge one (€300) for the filter. The UV lamps had to be replaced every couple of years. The whole lot was so big it had to made especially and even the liner at 1.5mm thick was more than usual and took two guys to carry in draped over a wheelie bin! All the stuff came from Oase, really good quality and service!

we were quite a bit longer than that, probably 40-45ft but a bit narrower say around 10ft, depth about the same in a middle trench but shallowing to the far end by and beyond bridge and right side. Took roughly 24 hours to fill and duck was on it before even filled, you can see hose pipe still pouring water in at the left.

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Two things I will add, sorry if within this conversation they have already been mentioned.

When buying new aquatic plants be sure to thoroughly rinse the root system before adding to the water in order to not introduce unwanted organisms. That is a really good wash due to the second point.

There are different blanket weeds but removing the filament type by scooping it out can stimulate the organism to release spores so the main plant goes but the possibility of thousands more is there.

Paul

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
The cause is often nutrients in the water, e.g. from fertilisers used in the garden. I've found extract of barley straw works well, but you have to clear as much of the weed out of the pond before the first treatment. You can't overdose with the stuff, so be generous when mixing.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

SophieB

Registered
24 Sep 2017
Elizabeth City, NC, USA
Best answers
Country flag
We use barley water in our pond/water feature and it has worked pretty well.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
GAP GAP , not seen that product before, looks good so I have ordered some.
SophieB SophieB , I assume the Barley Water would be similar to putting Barley Straw in a pond, this will probably be my next step.

Many thanks to all those who have provided advice. :) :) :)