Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
royale

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Firstly, get as much of the weed as possible out of the pond - something like a grass rake works well for this. Next, get some barley straw and tie it into bundles. Tie a weight to it and throw it in the pond. I've used this on my pond and it works very well.

JimmyB

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Part of the issue is it not a pond, it is a small stream, with a small head of water running about 4 yards long, and a maximum depth of only inches, so barley straw bundles will not work.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Part of the issue is it not a pond, it is a small stream, with a small head of water running about 4 yards long, and a maximum depth of only inches, so barley straw bundles will not work.
Jimmy I could be talking absolute gonads here (not unknown) but if you have barley straw in the pond I wonder if the effect will work on the stream by virtue of the circulating water?

JimmyB

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Jimmy I could be talking absolute gonads here (not unknown) but if you have barley straw in the pond I wonder if the effect will work on the stream by virtue of the circulating water?
Jon, as mentioned, there is no pond, the water is only inches deep.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Don't you have a 'sump' (reservoir) at the lower-end?
Could you not put the bundled straw there? :think:

Tanker man

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Jimmy, I think, if you use Barley straw, it must be untreated, as the pond shops sell NOT farm barley straw as it probably has been treated with insecticide etc , which , I believe, can be harmful to fish.
Dave

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Jon, as mentioned, there is no pond, the water is only inches deep.
Oh yes forgot just a sump, so Barley Straw in that may work on the stream.