Big Hauler to Galloping Alice

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
After my last build I said my next couple of locos might be the MSWJR Galloping Alice and the Decapod
I was warned about the use of the Bachmann chassis as it might be a bit large given these locos were quite petite
Anyway given the attractive nature of the loco and if LGB can rely upon the rubber rule I thought I could build something along the lines of the real thing even if it contains a few imperfections
The loco was built around a big hauler chassis as this made shortening the connecting rods dead easy as well as no faffing with the slide bar set up
The chassis are cheaper too
The tender runs on a James tender chassis which being short struck me as a good start point
The loco body was built in my usual way around a length of plastic waste pipe. Castings for the chimney; and done and various bits from GRS like tender springs and back head detail pack both intended for narrow gauge prototypes
It is finished in a rather bright red/almost orange similar to 50/60s London buses
Not right I suspect, but, at shows families with young children will be tempted into James comparisons
Here’s a few pictures, I’ve got to order some Beyer Peacock splasher works plates to finish it off6AA30878-0B5F-4843-82FC-F7047D053714.jpeg12F807B1-0453-4CFF-8236-A1BE6A85A32D.jpeg50ACE0AA-1943-47A9-AFC2-87194E5AC2CF.jpeg1B8D4164-5B46-4B95-AA6D-23DB1C1BA1D6.jpeg67D5E5D0-9589-4677-AA54-ACB8F243BD40.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have always thought them to be a well proportioned loco, you have caught the looks to perfection. Lovely job.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
After my last build I said my next couple of locos might be the MSWJR Galloping Alice and the Decapod
I was warned about the use of the Bachmann chassis as it might be a bit large given these locos were quite petite
Anyway given the attractive nature of the loco and if LGB can rely upon the rubber rule I thought I could build something along the lines of the real thing even if it contains a few imperfections
The loco was built around a big hauler chassis as this made shortening the connecting rods dead easy as well as no faffing with the slide bar set up
The tender runs on a James tender chassis which being short struck me as a good start point
The loco body was built in my usual way around a length of plastic waste pipe. Castings for the chimney; and done and various bits from GRS like tender springs and back head detail pack both intended for narrow gauge prototypes
It is finished in a rather bright red/almost orange similar to 50/60s London buses
Not right I suspect, but, at shows families with young children will be tempted into James comparisons
Here’s a few pictures, I’ve got to order some Beyer Peacock splasher works plates to finish it offView attachment 284925View attachment 284926View attachment 284927View attachment 284928View attachment 284929
That is probably one of the most appealing of all your standard gauge conversions :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Marvellous!

philg

Registered
28 Nov 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Here’s a few pictures, I’ve got to order some Beyer Peacock splasher works plates to finish it offView attachment 284925View attachment 284926View attachment 284927View attachment 284928View attachment 284929
Well, I'm glad you didn't listen to me ! The other advantage of the Bachmann mech is the complete visibility below the boiler - the LGB one I used blocks out the daylight a bit. Were you able to get the "James" tender chassis as a spare part ? The MSWJR livery is sometimes described as a "metallic" dark red; I've often wondered how they achieved that with 19th century paint. Nice work !

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I've suddenly realised that it's sitting on a bit of old blockboard - now you don't see much of that nowadays :nerd::nerd::nerd:

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I'm glad you didn't listen to me ! The other advantage of the Bachmann mech is the complete visibility below the boiler - the LGB one I used blocks out the daylight a bit. Were you able to get the "James" tender chassis as a spare part ? The MSWJR livery is sometimes described as a "metallic" dark red; I've often wondered how they achieved that with 19th century paint. Nice work !
Thanks Phil
The James tender chassis was bought from Bachmann USA parts store
I think the stocks are running quite low.
They only let me order one etc
On the colour I don’t know how they’d have achieved anything approaching metallic!!
Perhaps ground lead ??
I’m pretty sure lead would have been in the mix but I don’t understand the chemistry enough to see how a metallic look might have been achieved
Chris

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
I've suddenly realised that it's sitting on a bit of old blockboard - now you don't see much of that nowadays :nerd::nerd::nerd:
Yes as it slowly laminates the skin is removed and used for cab wooden flooring
Never throw anything away if you can find somewhere to hide things away

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I wonder if they meant the 'colour', rather than a 'metallic' effect, as we understand it?

A 'red lead' or 'iron oxide' shade, might have been described as a 'metallic red' perhaps?

The nearest thing I think they could have used, would have been flakes of mica? - But I doubt they could have produced it in a consistent form?

PhilP

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I wonder if they meant the 'colour', rather than a 'metallic' effect, as we understand it?

A 'red lead' or 'iron oxide' shade, might have been described as a 'metallic red' perhaps?

The nearest thing I think they could have used, would have been flakes of mica? - But I doubt they could have produced it in a consistent form?

PhilP
Interesting thought

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Green with envy.

Gérard Baudoin

Registered
13 Jan 2021
Bretagne - France -Europe
Best answers
Country flag
Hhello, this one was made from the same basic chassis (Bachman) on the other side of the chanel and with an american old timer inspiration.

Good afternoon.IMG_20200619_114231625.jpg

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent,love it!!!!!!:h:

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
An other conversion ....
with a bit more complication: it comes fro Bachmann 060 chassis sold for nothing without cow catcher and front wheel.

she needs still a bit of work.

Regards.
I like the look of that!
I’s it a Bachmann industrial 2-6-0 chassis?
I bought one at a very attractive price from Bachmann Parts last year and turned it into a Barclay (ish) 0-6-0ST
It’s good to see the diversity of models that can be produced

Attachments

• 12079E7B-31AC-4B34-822E-4E8F45A3497A.jpeg
    12079E7B-31AC-4B34-822E-4E8F45A3497A.jpeg
    530.9 KB · Views: 0
  • C41F9061-EFEF-43F3-94B9-05388642FCCC.jpeg
    C41F9061-EFEF-43F3-94B9-05388642FCCC.jpeg
    387.5 KB · Views: 0
  • CB90544A-B3E5-42F2-B414-4508DB828338.jpeg
    CB90544A-B3E5-42F2-B414-4508DB828338.jpeg
    398.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1847DDF2-AE88-463D-A594-80516BCE92DC.jpeg