Best base material

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
What are my options for base material? I’ve made a nice 15cm wide wall on which the track can be mounted, but I don’t yet know what to put underneath the are where the points & station will be.

The flower box will be filled with soil of course.
And I want to put in ballast again.

What can you guis advice? Something that will hold 10+ years?

67D01AAD-A0A1-4289-904A-BE23498D2805.jpeg C9143C72-9D0D-4C69-87C6-72D205A41ED1.jpeg

The area to the right up to the ‘circle’ needs to be covered for tracks, three next to each other.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
There are various types of recycled Plastic Board out there Henri. White Soffit is generally easily available but you can get recycled Plastic Boards, look for ones that are multi coloured and appear to have air holes. They do not expand and contract horribly, could point you right at UK options but that will not be a lot of good to you!

Another option is a Stranded Glass Sheet that is used for water proofing shower walls, available in sheets from Home Improvement Stores. Generally about a Metre by 3/4 in size so not too much waste if similar size in your neck of the woods. Will need good support, you could use Square Plastic Drainpipe for this with the same for Uprights.

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Fill with soil and use a breather membrane (roofing underfelt or some such) or weed control matting.

You only need something to stop the ballast falling down any holes :nod::nod:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Fill with soil and use a breather membrane (roofing underfelt or some such) or weed control matting.

You only need something to stop the ballast falling down any holes :nod::nod:
Of fill the holes with sand, then ballast.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Just make sure you compact anything you use as 'fill', as hard as you can.. It will still settle, but you can then top-up with ballast..