Beeston Castle

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
For too long Beeston Castle station has been backgrounded by a half-hearted attempt at modelling the castle. That has now changed.
file.php

file.php

I pondered for quite a while how I would represent the ruined castle walls - but in the end opted for a technique demonstrated by my good friend Greg ( gregh gregh of this parish). I bought a couple of Thermalite blocks from my local builders' merchant and attacked them with an old saw (past its best, missing a few teeth).
file.php

I then set-about the various off-cuts with a screwdriver blade and a pad saw blade.
file.php

Before too long, I had carved sufficient bits to make the walls, some small towers and the gatehouse.
file.php

The 'blocks' were coloured using cement dyes.
file.php

file.php

I'm glad I started with a ruin - I've learned a lot in the process so now feel ready to tackle something a bit less bashed about.

There's more info about Greg's Hebel (Thermalite) models which are a lot more accomplished than mine, on his website - Sandstone & Termite Garden Railway-Using Hebel

Thanks Greg for the idea and inspiration.

Rik
PS When the cement holding it in place has dried, I will weather it with a wash of mucky dyes and then seal it with masonry water proofer as I'm sure the frosts will enjoy undoing my handiwork.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Wow what a great job Rik. I have 1.5 thermalite blocks kicking around and you have inspired me to use them when I get round to redoing the background to my Magdesprung Station. I feel a delapidated East German Factory comming on. I have used Thermalite or Celcon Blocks in the past for Viaducts on both my current line and on the Ruschbahn. There is also a small hut that I made using similar methods. But the ruined Castle is a Master stroke, even if it breaks up a little no worries as it is already a ruin!

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Like it rik. Suits the position and a effective use of materials

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 user

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Fine work Rik.
Being a "local" I have seen and walked around said castle.
Suits the theme of your line, obviously.

Reactions: 1 user